-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-26-2003, 03:42 AM
feargone feargone is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to feargone
Paint Question

Hi Guys I'm new here and need a LOT of help for the paint selection, especially for body painting.

I'm using tamiya paint,
Which would gives the best result that can be polished to high shine: tamiya acrylics, tamiya enamel, or the tamiya spraying can (TS-series)?

I prefer airbrush over cans in the way I can control the flow of the paint surely by exact amount rather than pressing the knob on the can. I've do lots of reading in this forum and it seems that lacquer are the best for large area and polishing. But does tamiya make any lacquer paint in bottle? Will enamels give me the same result, especially when polishing?

I had some difficulties when trying to rub enamel paint with tamiya rubbing compound. The rubbing compound would make the paint dull! unless I polish it real deep, even after I left the paint for about 7 days.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion guys.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Okiemodelbuilder Okiemodelbuilder is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Paint Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargone
Hi Guys I'm new here and need a LOT of help for the paint selection, especially for body painting.

I'm using tamiya paint,
Which would gives the best result that can be polished to high shine: tamiya acrylics, tamiya enamel, or the tamiya spraying can (TS-series)?

I prefer airbrush over cans in the way I can control the flow of the paint surely by exact amount rather than pressing the knob on the can. I've do lots of reading in this forum and it seems that lacquer are the best for large area and polishing. But does tamiya make any lacquer paint in bottle? Will enamels give me the same result, especially when polishing?

I had some difficulties when trying to rub enamel paint with tamiya rubbing compound. The rubbing compound would make the paint dull! unless I polish it real deep, even after I left the paint for about 7 days.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion guys.
Tamiya sprays are awesome! Solid colors give a very high gloss right out of the can. The pearls and metallics require Tamiya gloss clear spray. Apply the clear within 15 minutes of the last color coat or wait 2 to 4 weeks to avoid cracking of the clear. Tamiya colors and clear have different drying rates but it's not a problem if you apply right after color coats.

If you spray these just right you might not even have to polish. Tamiya dries with a fine texture. I polish mine with 3600-12000 sanding cloths then Meguiers #2,9,7 and 26.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts