-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-14-2003, 11:20 AM
eclipsekid eclipsekid is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this Crankwalk?

I've done alot of searches on crankwalk and I've found tons of technical information about the causes of it and what to do (get a new motor). But I cannot find alot of information on the SYMPTOMS that are experienced when you first realize you have crankwalk. So far the only things I know is that it happens on turbo models (only?), happens when making a left and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor, and makes a horrible noise when it's happening. So my question is do I have crankwalk? Here is the skinny:

I have a 96 ' non-turbo GS eclipse. About two weeks ago, I was coming to a stop and as I normally do, I put my clutch in to put my car in neutral to drift to the stop. Well after I put my car in neutral, the idle got really low and sputtered a bit then it stalled out. It has been doing this kinda on and off (more off) since then. Sometimes when coming to a stop, and I engage the clutch and shift into neutral it will start to stall (get reall low in rpms) then recover itself to around 1k rpms.

Could this be just be some type of an idle issue (ICS, broken speed swtich, throttle body, etc.) And if so, how to fix. I've heard that it happens when you make a left turn and then the clutch sticks to the floor. This does not happen to me. Also, I do not hear anything unusual when it happens, just the engine shut off. I always make sure I have the propper amount of oil in the car and that it gets changed regularly. Also, I've noticed that my engine runs really cool, sometimes I will be driving for 30 mins. and the temp gage reads only slightly higher than when completely cold. I was wondering if somehow this might be a cause of my problem, since it only started happening after winter came around. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-14-2003, 08:47 PM
97GSTspyder's Avatar
97GSTspyder 97GSTspyder is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 670
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 97GSTspyder
Re: Is this Crankwalk?

hey dude i had this same exact problem...sadly it is a sign of crankwalk according to this page... http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q...hatiscrankwalk

as a result, my car is still in the shop getting repaired. i am suppose to get it back tomorrow though. had to get a new short block for it you should get your car checked out man cause those short blocks aren't cheap.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2003, 02:16 AM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its very unusual to hear of a NT getting CW, since it doesnt even have the 4g63. I doubt it is CW, though the cluitch thing sounds like it. Its also possible that the clutch is just very worn, and the over zealous helper spring in the 2g clutch pedal assembly (should be the same as the turbo cars') holds the pedal to the floor. This can happen in the 2g turbo cars as well and is know to be a false sign of CW that has had many a poeple runing scared. HAve that looked into before crying CW
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2003, 08:51 AM
eclipsekid eclipsekid is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Kevin, my clutch does not stick to the floor. Maybe I worded it wrong in my post. Yeah, I just haven't heard of any non-turbo eclipse's experiencing this, maybe I'll just try driving around and just pull it out of gear w/o putting in the clutch (although this can be bad if done alot), and see what happens since the clutch thing seems to be the de facto sign of CW.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2003, 12:25 PM
smokeurass's Avatar
smokeurass smokeurass is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you have a get a new motor to fix this even before it happens? Cant you just replace the crankshaft?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2003, 02:50 PM
97GSTspyder's Avatar
97GSTspyder 97GSTspyder is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 670
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 97GSTspyder
Re: Is this Crankwalk?

if your car has a lot of miles, it could possibly be the fuel filter. it could be pretty clogged up which would cause stalling. you might want to think about replacing it. they're fairly cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-2003, 05:52 PM
eclipsekid eclipsekid is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, I'll prob check into a new fuel filter since the car has 97k miles on it, can't hurt. I found this site, wonder if this is the root of my problem.

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q...sduringbraking
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-16-2003, 02:22 AM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Is this Crankwalk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsekid
Kevin, my clutch does not stick to the floor. Maybe I worded it wrong in my post.

Since your original post says this:

Quote:
happens when making a left and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor
I guess you could say you worded it wrong
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-16-2003, 06:29 AM
eclipsekid eclipsekid is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah sorry 'bout that, I guess I did word that kinda wrong, I was talking about the SYMPTOMS that ppl experience if they have crankwalk, and not about my own symptoms. BTW, I took the car out yesterday, and I did notice that it would stall, when I took the car out of gear into neutral without using the clutch. Doesn't CW have to do with the clutch? If I didn't use the clutch at all and it's doing this, does that rule out CW completely? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-16-2003, 07:09 AM
T38's Avatar
T38 T38 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Is this Crankwalk?

Seems to me I saw something the other day describing a vacuum problem that caused similar problems (stalling/low rpm) when braking with the engine at idle. I can't find the article now (figures...), but does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-16-2003, 10:43 AM
97GSTspyder's Avatar
97GSTspyder 97GSTspyder is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 670
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 97GSTspyder
all right i pulled out the mitsubishi eclipse repair manual haha...according to the manual there are a few reasons why your car would be stalling...
1. idle speed incorrect
2. fuel filter clogged and/or water and impurities in the fuel system
3. distributor components damp or damaged
4. faulty emissions system components
5. faulty or incorrect gapped spark plugs
6. faulty spark plug wires
7. vacuum leaks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-16-2003, 02:55 PM
mauri mauri is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95 eclipse trouble

ive got a 95 eclipse with automatic transmission, and every time the engine its gonna change to another gear(speeding up) its makes a loud crank sound, i really dont know what it is, im about to open all the engine and look for everything in there, its gonna take a while, but i really like this car and i dont want to get rid of it, any comments before i srewup this car, new engine perhaps or do i have an option fixing the engine?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-16-2003, 02:56 PM
mauri mauri is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Is this Crankwalk?

need 4 help
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-16-2003, 04:55 PM
eclipsekid eclipsekid is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info 97GSTspyder. I think the first thing I will try is maybe putting some gas treatment in since that would be the cheapest. If that doesn't work, I'll prob just take it to a mechanic who knows import cars (I certainly don't, I just got into cars about 5 months ago, I used to be a Jeep man). Hopefully it's nothing too serious, and I will definately post the fix as soon as it comes about.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-16-2003, 05:21 PM
NeonblueEclipse NeonblueEclipse is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to NeonblueEclipse
Re: 95 eclipse trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauri
ive got a 95 eclipse with automatic transmission, and every time the engine its gonna change to another gear(speeding up) its makes a loud crank sound, i really dont know what it is, im about to open all the engine and look for everything in there, its gonna take a while, but i really like this car and i dont want to get rid of it, any comments before i srewup this car, new engine perhaps or do i have an option fixing the engine?

check the tranny fliud, i dont think it'll be a problem with your engine
at most maybe a busted tranny that'll have to be rebuilt or replaced
but its better than engine problems
__________________
Dustin
GSX baby!!! ALL THA WAY

Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts