-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-15-2001, 05:46 PM
piscorpio piscorpio is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
Chapter 5: STOP!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone from Purehonda might remeber my previous chapters, just a chronicle of my car mods. More or less it is just something for me to do, so dont always expect interesting material, come to think of it, dont ever expect interesting material. As always, be advise, I tend to ramble and keep you reading for a while!


***The joy of all wheel disc brakes***

After the first attempt to install rear disc brakes from an old integra LS failed, due to a snapped bolt, the second attempt was succesful this past Thursday. All the necessary parts were there, the rear trailing arms from the integra with the brakes and all, along with the brake lines and parking brake cables. While my friend was removing the old drums, I was given some busy work changing the old brake pads off the discs. This was pretty simple actually, remove two bolts to take of the little guard/splash shield thing. (To get at the rest easier) Then, remove two bolts from the caliper, screw in the piston so it isnt compressed, yank out the old pads and put in the new. Pretty easy stuff, I was kind of proud of myself though. Anyway, once the old drums were off, the process was fairly simple, the integra suspension arms bolted right up, no fabrication necessary. The brake lines were attached and after both sides were done, we bled the brake fluid. Pretty straightforward stuff, if you can take off your old brakes and trailing arm, you can put on the new ones just as easy. (assuming you dont break any bolts ) Having a friend who does engine swaps in his sleep is a big help also!

So, I took it out for a test drive. There was some noise at first, from the rust that was on the rotors, kind of a grinding sound. However, a short stint of driving with my parking brake on, helped clear it up promptly. (I did this very shortly and while moving slow, it is not reccomended you go hotrodding around with your p-brake up) After some riding around the noise is completely eliminated. I am really satisfied with the results as well. Stopping feels more balanced, and the car does not feel like it is lunging forward when coming to a stop. The car feels nice and stable now when stopping, and it seems to be more effortless. I have not pushed the brakes hard yet as I am still breaking them in. I love it, it seems my suspension/chassis work is to my liking and the car really does feel solid now. Asides from some nifty new rotors (powerslots) I think I have this phase pretty much wrapped up. You know what that means, on to power!!!!


*Perhaps Ill post some pics, but I wouldnt hold your breath, Im kind of a lazy ass when it comes to that!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2001, 07:46 PM
Rice-Rocketeer Rice-Rocketeer is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Chapter 5: STOP!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, don't do that to me. I think this is exactly what I need. Decreasing stopping distance and braking effeciency by inceasing the clamping force on the rear brakes. I need money
__________________
Lookin at my gucci, it's about that time...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2001, 08:44 PM
madtownhonda's Avatar
madtownhonda madtownhonda is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to madtownhonda
good deal and nice chapter...glad to hear the car is coming along well.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2001, 08:58 PM
Dezoris Dezoris is offline
Mod for life
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dezoris
a six foot wing would have done the same thing.
__________________
M.Sanew - AutomotiveArticles.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2001, 10:39 AM
piscorpio piscorpio is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
Quote:
Originally posted by Dezoris
a six foot wing would have done the same thing.
lol

doh! It would have looked so much cooler too!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2001, 10:53 AM
piscorpio piscorpio is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
Quote:
Originally posted by madtownhonda
good deal and nice chapter...glad to hear the car is coming along well.

Thanks, it sure is coming along well, I guess Ive gained some momentum. It will probably be awhile before I do anything else. (Except maybe rotors like I said.) Of course that automatic transmission must be shaking in its boots, cuz Ive been eyeballing the nice manual transmission sitting in my friends garage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-16-2001, 02:35 PM
xivera's Avatar
xivera xivera is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,486
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool!
It seems that your car is coming along very well!
__________________
I/H/E, I.C.E. & other stuff...
Toni/y v0.2|Nice cars thru my lens...

Your first mod = HELMS MANUAL!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-16-2001, 11:53 PM
trmi-nate trmi-nate is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i want the same thing, rear discs... how much did they run you?
__________________
1997 Milano Red Civic EX
17" Konig Caffeines
Sportlines/KYB AGX
AEM CAI/DC 4-2-1/Greddy EVO
Short Shifter/ Indiglos
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2001, 12:51 PM
madtownhonda's Avatar
madtownhonda madtownhonda is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to madtownhonda
Quote:
Originally posted by piscorpio


Thanks, it sure is coming along well, I guess Ive gained some momentum. It will probably be awhile before I do anything else. (Except maybe rotors like I said.) Of course that automatic transmission must be shaking in its boots, cuz Ive been eyeballing the nice manual transmission sitting in my friends garage.
to bad, I just got rid of a set of Brembo front rotors for about $70
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Caravan Stop lights out RickCox Caravan | Voyager 0 04-05-2010 01:13 PM
First Imprehunz (two chapters in VA) FI Duce2s Atlanta SCCA 1 01-28-2004 09:59 PM
looking to start chapter foreplay Eastern US 1 06-16-2003 02:01 PM
The Top 16 Chapters in "Sex for Dummies" tazdev COMPLETELY off-topic 9 08-10-2002 10:21 AM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts