-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
Wheels: What color?



I currently have these wheels in white. This winter when they are off for snow driving I am going to totally strip them and have the repowder coated. The question is this. Should I have them redone in flat/satin black, or gloss black?

I am aware they are heavy, and a lot of people already have them, but I am not going to go out and buy new wheels. I will be stripping these myself and I have a friend who powdercoats so pretty much all I will have to pay for is the actual powder used. (It will be cheap for me to do this!) I don't like white anymore, I want black. But, as far as money goes an engine swap and better suspension comes before ANOTHER set of wheels... see where I'm coming from?

Thanks everyone!
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
really now... no opinions?
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Dumped91Hatch's Avatar
Dumped91Hatch Dumped91Hatch is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 637
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wheels: What color?

I think you should go with the gloss black. If your going to strip them yourself get the outer edge machined and then do the spokes gloss black. That would look dope!
__________________

Check out my car here My 91 Hatch
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2003, 12:08 AM
hondaracer hondaracer is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 192
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Wheels: What color?

Flat black Flat black Flat black. No racer is supposed to have shiny rims on their car. And don't do that black with a machined outer edge, everyone does that and its annoying now when I see it. Flat black is spoon style and I personally love it more when a car looks like a road race car and not a chromed out too much color shifting paint show car.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-31-2003, 12:32 AM
BullShifter's Avatar
BullShifter BullShifter is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,216
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Wheels: What color?

Flat black or what about gunmetal?

If it looks like a race car, it better perform like one!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-31-2003, 12:40 AM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
jackasssi... see sig

\ /
\/
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-31-2003, 12:45 AM
BullShifter's Avatar
BullShifter BullShifter is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,216
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
ok, now what?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-31-2003, 12:49 AM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
everything but the B18B should be done by spring... then I think I might do a little autocrossing!
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2003, 01:03 AM
BullShifter's Avatar
BullShifter BullShifter is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,216
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Wheels: What color?

That will be sweet

This is what I plan on for next season http://eliteautosport.com/ - one of the cheapest ways to race. They are also located right next to our shop
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
Yeah I have never autocrossed before... I have only done road racing. The Spec Racer Fords do look like a lot of fun. They are pretty fast and fairly equal to eachother, although I have no clue what their costs are. A few things I have heard though is that because the motors are sealed the big dogs buy up like 10 motors at a time and dyno each one of them looking for the best one... which I really hate that but there is not much that can be done to stop it. Luckily that doesnt come in to play much at all except for places like the runnoffs.
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-31-2003, 01:27 AM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
I didn't know you were from the Chicago area... have you ever gone out to Blackhawk? Unfortunately I have never made it there myself but I hear it is an excellent track, especially after it got totally repaved over the winter!
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-31-2003, 01:47 AM
BullShifter's Avatar
BullShifter BullShifter is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,216
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Wheels: What color?

I've been there before & after the repaving - that palce was SHIT! It has now become much better, turn 1, 2, & 3 are very fun! I like Road America, myself.

What tracks have you been on?
I've been on BFR, Road America, IRP, & Gingerman - few dirt ovals. Laguna Seca, Indy(road & oval), & a real street circut is what I'd liked to get on.

autocross is too short(still fun), samething with drag racing, unless its on a fast bike.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-31-2003, 02:04 AM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
Well, I started out racing gokarts on asphalt road courses when I was like 9... went around from Missouri, Illinois, Iowa... kinda made the rounds there. I've done a little dirt oval racing but was not impressed with stepping on the gas and turning left, and getting everything covered in filth to top it all off. I got back into road course racing the winter before last with an 86 RX7 then over last winter I built a 92 Spec Miata from top to bottom. (that was FUN!!) Since then I have raced 2 times at Gateway, 2 times at Memphis, and 1 time at Grattan with the SCCA. This brings me to where I stand today... no longer having a race car. I wanted to run Road Atlanta more than anything... I was down there for the ARRC last winter and that track is truely amazing. I have been to IRP as well but not raced it. Never even been to Road America but I hear that is quite a track. What is it 5 some miles? Now thats what I'm talkin about!!!

So now that I am out of the racing circuit I need some kind of car project to keep me going. Enter the Civic... my new project!
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-31-2003, 02:13 AM
Miataracer's Avatar
Miataracer Miataracer is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
Spec Miata pictures

Take a look if you care to. I built the entire thing minus welding the roll cage, putting synchros in the tranny, and installing the limited slip in the rear end. It started out as a dogged out street car with 166,000 miles. It turned into a finely tuned machine with almost everything totally redone... from a 3 car garage!
__________________


LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
BullShifter's Avatar
BullShifter BullShifter is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,216
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Wheels: What color?

This has become O/T, ya think?

Cool, I raced karts for a short time. I heard there is an indoor track in WS, time to get me a 250cc shifter kart for some winter racing - I also heard they run pocket bike racing there as well. I had some time in a 440 sprints as well.

Road America is around 4 miles, that place is fun, just wish I had something FAST, race(only) car to run there. I want to get my Vette out on the track some day.

Sweet Miata, why did you get rid of it? Those little cars for great road racing! That thing has one hell of a cage in it! Couple guys I worked drove & raced miata's - I drove one at an autocross event, made a few runs & beat my buddies time, lol. Nothin like good old RWD!
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What color and color code is this one? webslinger283 Murciélago (Murcielago) 2 07-20-2010 06:49 PM
It is true what they say about Lamborghini in colors modtor Murciélago (Murcielago) 1 07-13-2010 01:54 PM
Need help with telling what color is what for the head unit on a 2001 Accord! b16Civic Interior | Audio | Security 5 04-07-2006 08:29 PM
What color Rims?? What size tires ephyouckay Tires and Wheels 12 07-15-2004 12:39 AM
what color is the ZC valve color black or silverish grey julio_zc79 '71-'87 Civic | CRX 3 03-21-2002 06:29 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical > Tires and Wheels


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts