-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-24-2003, 11:55 PM
euroAccorDeuro euroAccorDeuro is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting rid of my cat?

I was wondering, if i took off my cat, and put a pipe with brackets welded on it in its place, would i have a noticeable sound our power gain?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2003, 12:49 AM
accordztech accordztech is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to accordztech
u will probably get a power gain, and an ugly sound....more like farts...

and not to mention the pollution!

cop finds that ur screwed.
__________________


www.cb7tuner.com <---90-93 accord board

:for sale: left and right motor mounts for 4th gen accord. great condition
:strut bar, rear..no brace...
...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Accord_Zero's Avatar
Accord_Zero Accord_Zero is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Accord_Zero
I have a high-flow 'cat' on my Accord. You won't notice much in power gain until you start going the forced induction route. The sound changes a lot...and I like it. It also smells a bit...just like exhaust. But the cops only care if you're in a place that tests for emissions. Mine doesn't, so I'm able to use it. I'll soon go to a true high-flow catalytic though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2003, 09:22 AM
thewoahna's Avatar
thewoahna thewoahna is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to thewoahna
I have a "test pipe" on my car. I did notice a power gain, and a power loss. Lost low end, but then gained in the high end. You can order them custom fit to your car at www.testpipe.com I like mine, but it will have to come off soon, I have to get an e-check sometime soon
__________________
Whenever at a loss of words, "Woah Na!" will suffice....
-----------------------------------
AOL IM: WoahNa316
-----------------------------------
Click here for some of my car pics/stats
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2003, 09:25 AM
euroAccorDeuro euroAccorDeuro is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it would make it sound worse, like there is an exhaust leak or something? I just didnt think the cops would be randomly laying down on the ground and looking under my car.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2003, 09:30 AM
thewoahna's Avatar
thewoahna thewoahna is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to thewoahna
Yeah, the cops aint going to do that. I dont think it makes it sound worse... It makes it sound louder, now depending on what kind of exhaust you have to start out with, that can be a good or bad thing. Sounds good on my DC Sports, but then I have heard one on a Tanabe, and it just makes it sound more like a bee hive.
__________________
Whenever at a loss of words, "Woah Na!" will suffice....
-----------------------------------
AOL IM: WoahNa316
-----------------------------------
Click here for some of my car pics/stats
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2003, 11:45 AM
euroAccorDeuro euroAccorDeuro is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i was planning on putting the cat back on for e check. My exhaust already has a pretty low tone. Well, i guess the only way to find out is to try it out.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2003, 12:33 PM
y2knowledge y2knowledge is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe me it sounds awesome IMO, but as for the power gains I wouldn't know since I'm not cool enough to know things like that ...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2003, 01:56 PM
Accord_Zero's Avatar
Accord_Zero Accord_Zero is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Accord_Zero
I'll have to agree with thewoahna as far as the power gains/losses go. I actually have mixed feelings on the sound now. When I'm in my car, I like it...but I've recently heard it when others drive it around...sounds a little higher pitched than I would like. But oh well, I'm the one drivin' it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 PM
euroAccorDeuro euroAccorDeuro is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont understand why it would sound higher pitched.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2003, 10:57 PM
loesch8102's Avatar
loesch8102 loesch8102 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 480
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to loesch8102
I know I'm about .4L of displacement less than you guys but in my opinion, I wouldn't do that. I got a hole in my stock cat, so since I didn't have any money I had a shop run it straight through. Before this mistake my custom cat-back gave my little 1.8L engine a very nice deep sound. In fact it sounded almost exactly like my friends Accord. But after getting it straight through, it sounds like a lot of the Honda CRX's around here. It's just insanley loud and moto-cross bike sounding. I don't know why it changed the sound but it did. I hate the sound so bad that I rolled $40 worth of pennies so I could get a new one on eBay. Also, make sure if you do get rid of it to make sure the people are carefule with it. To get a new one for my car was going to cost me $720 just for parts, (Cat and gaskets).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Accord_Zero's Avatar
Accord_Zero Accord_Zero is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Accord_Zero
Re: Getting rid of my cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroAccorDeuro
I dont understand why it would sound higher pitched.
I didn't think it would either, but it did. It's louder, and whines a lot. It's not as high of a pitch like civics and crxs, but it's higher than what it was with the regular cat on it.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to get rid of my Jeep Liberty... What should i get instead? cutieangel11 Car Buying Q&A 4 02-16-2005 08:39 PM
get rid of my CRX = get a free car Onimacus COMPLETELY off-topic 56 12-27-2004 10:04 AM
How to get rid of a cat? Jay! COMPLETELY off-topic 15 11-13-2001 05:48 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts