Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 10:23 PM   #1
Stitchsbrother
AF Newbie

Any seasoned Auto techs hit a wall?

Hello all,
My background is, 8 years professionally in the automotive repair industry as a 100% commission flat rate technician. I repair and maintain any vehicle that management pulls in for what ever reason. I have been to multiple organizations with a small stint at dealership life.
Im sorry if this is a wrong first post to have in this forum.
If this is wrong, mods please delete this post and message me personally,
I will not and do not want to cause any problem or discontent,
I am lost for what I need to do.
I am looking for advice, I do not currently and have not for a long time enjoyed working or fixing vehicles. I did not have passion for this profession when I started this career, I fell into it due to not having a marketable skill after I worked for a marine construction company doing various jobs including maintenance and repair of their heavy equipment.

I feel like I have hit a wall with my career in the industry. Where the skill or achievement of repairing or diagnosing hard to figure out vehicles is just another day in the life. Not even another notch in the belt of what i can or have achieved. Everyday feels like a drag of moving through the motions of Vehicle inspections and diagnostics with very little to no reward.
With this last job change i have had to learn almost all factory scan tools with the ability to perform module flash and updates.
I have achieved World class recognition with ASE.
With all this i feel as if i have done nothing in my career, as if i have just brought on more pain and headaches with the type of customer concerns that i have to deal with.
Any experienced technicians,
Have you hit this wall before?
Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
That it will get better one day?
Or am I in the wrong industry?
I make good hours with a productivity of 90 to 100% consistently,
Even though my heart and passion is not into it.
This switch to EV vehicles doesn't frighten me but leaves open ended questions.
What do we as the aftermarket industry do when EV vehicles are not required to the same standards as ICE vehicles for the right to repair.
All this just begs me to ask,
How did you get through this, or am I just not cut out for this industry with my mentality.
How do you cope with the cars that don't have an answer or a fix.
Or the vehicles that you have repaired and cannot explain why that part failed and caused the vehicle to experience symptoms that are completely unrelated.

For me I have thrown myself at diving deeper into diagnostics, module cloning and reflashing, labscope diagnostics with RC and pulse sensors, just burring myself deeper into this field. I dont know how long this will hold, learning new things keeps me move intrigued but not fulfilled.

I guess i just want to know,
How do the seasoned veterans of the flat rate field keep going,
Not the ones stuck in their ways of just suspension and brake repair,
But the ones on the cutting edge, pulling epproms and installing into other used modules, renaming Ners files to flash files onto used modules not allowed by nissan, running j2534 software just to find out the manufacturer gives no support to it.

How do you stay engaged into the field and industry enough to not quit and leave.
Stitchsbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stitchsbrother For This Useful Post:
romanadsitepro (05-17-2023)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic