-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-26-2015, 01:12 PM
327chevy 327chevy is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 229
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'08 Silverado cruise control

I posted an issue with the cruise on my truck before and at that time it was a fluke I thought that it wouldn't work because everything else worked fine.Well lately this problem has reappeared,at first only during wet,foggy or rainy days but I noticed that today being a fine day it still didn't set.Is there anything that I can check with a volt/ohm metre at home to try and narrow down a possible cause before I try and find a shop that can scan deep enough to see where the problem is?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-2015, 12:08 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: '08 Silverado cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327chevy View Post
I posted an issue with the cruise on my truck before and at that time it was a fluke I thought that it wouldn't work because everything else worked fine.Well lately this problem has reappeared,at first only during wet,foggy or rainy days but I noticed that today being a fine day it still didn't set.Is there anything that I can check with a volt/ohm metre at home to try and narrow down a possible cause before I try and find a shop that can scan deep enough to see where the problem is?
my guess is the brake pedal switch. this has many switches. not sure how poorly this is made by GM on a 2008 but on my 2000 I had a code come on that indicated the brake pedal ABS switch was always open. took switch out and I cleaned it up. no more code. I would drive it above 40 MPH put foot under the brake pedal to hold full up see if it then works. this then could also be the return spring made from low quality china steel . some one had this spring issue before brake pedal droop..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-27-2015, 04:42 PM
327chevy 327chevy is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 229
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: '08 Silverado cruise control

Well that should be easy enough to check,thanks I'll try that tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2015, 02:10 PM
ASJT3 ASJT3 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 254
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ASJT3
Re: '08 Silverado cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327chevy View Post
Well that should be easy enough to check,thanks I'll try that tomorrow.
Same exact thing happened on my '07 Tahoe (same equipment as your pickup). Like j_cat said, tapping or holding the brake pedal in the up direction corrected the issue. Thanks for the pointer j_cat, I'll check the contacts in this switch, hopefully will permanently resolve my issue too.

As a side note, I've noticed as I'm sure you have too that a lot of the switch contacts in these trucks (windows/locks/liftgate handle) fail due to light surface corrosion (tarnish) on the contacts. Light buffing with an emery cloth usually solves the problem.
__________________
2008 Tahoe SSV, 2007 Tahoe SSV, 94 GMC K1500, 93 Chev K1500, 91 GMC K1500, 2000 Wrangler Sport
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2015, 04:45 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: '08 Silverado cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJT3 View Post
Same exact thing happened on my '07 Tahoe (same equipment as your pickup). Like j_cat said, tapping or holding the brake pedal in the up direction corrected the issue. Thanks for the pointer j_cat, I'll check the contacts in this switch, hopefully will permanently resolve my issue too.

As a side note, I've noticed as I'm sure you have too that a lot of the switch contacts in these trucks (windows/locks/liftgate handle) fail due to light surface corrosion (tarnish) on the contacts. Light buffing with an emery cloth usually solves the problem.
there are what is called burnishing tip files. I used these on marine electronics in the old days .. you want to polish the surface not scratch it.. dc voltages cause pits and tits. current flow always in one direction just like those ignition points decades ago. running some copper flat material over the contacts will clean them up. if pitted best replace switch .
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts