-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical
Register FAQ Community
Engineering/ Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Reiynn Reiynn is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Point me in a direction ...

Hi,

I'm interested in learning the basics of car care / maintenance because I feel a bit embarrassed by my lack of knowledge on this subject.
My dad / brothers are both very practical and mechanically adept.
I, however, am more of the intellectual type.
Too late for me to spend time in a garage with them since I'm already a senior in college living away from home. I currently own a motorcycle but not other vehicle.

What would you recommend? Is there a newbie forum for people like me?
Is there any book I should read?

Please just point me in the right direction
or, you know, make me your apprentice.

Thanks for the time
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Point me in a direction ...

Books on basic auto maintenace are in just about any local library.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Moppie's Avatar
Moppie Moppie is offline
Master Connector
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,781
Thanks: 95
Thanked 101 Times in 80 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Point me in a direction ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiynn View Post
I currently own a motorcycle but not other vehicle.


Park your bike in your bedroom, and rebuild it

I know it sounds crazy, and it really is, but I've found the best way to learn about cars and engines is by working on them.



Since your at Uni though, have you had a look through the library?
There should be some good books on automotive and mechanical engineering.
__________________
Connecting the Auto Enthusiasts
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:07 PM
danielsatur danielsatur is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,579
Thanks: 86
Thanked 100 Times in 100 Posts
Re: Point me in a direction ...

Buy a broken Auto cheap, use AF, http://www.alldata.com, and Google for parts!
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 hond accord ex front centeral jack point harryhk Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid 12 07-03-2011 11:46 AM
can someone point me in the right direction? DJ Hotpokit Cosmetics 9 07-13-2001 08:04 AM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts