-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
frehol frehol is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LIM Gasket change

Hi!

First some data:
Blazer 1995 ODB2 4.3L V6 VIN W CPI Vortec

I'm in the process of replacing my Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets. When I cleaned the the LIM I found some "pitting" at the coolant ports.

How do I best deal with it?
Put some RTV on it?
Do nothing?

It is not much but I like to be sure it does not start leaking coolant again...

/Fred

Attaching a pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LIM-Pits.jpg (99.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Freddy,
If the pitting in the picture is the worst of it, don't do anything. RTV, silicone, etc, is NOT recommended. Make sure you use this gasket set: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_842129288___

Clean the threads on the bolts and in the heads with a tap and die set. Then put sealer on the bolts when installing them. Very important to use proper torque specs and tightening sequence. Make sure all gasket surfaces are clean, use acetone if necessary. Follow the instructions that come with the gasket set. If these gaskets are installed correctly, they will not leak.
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 PM
frehol frehol is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
Freddy,
If the pitting in the picture is the worst of it, don't do anything. RTV, silicone, etc, is NOT recommended. Make sure you use this gasket set: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_842129288___
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have another Fel-Pro gasket set with blocked rear coolant ports. As the Intake Manifold only have coolant ports in the front, it looks fine.

The Intake Manifold at the rear (nonexisting) ports have more pitting, but I don't think that is a problem due to the blocked gasket ports. Attaching pics of them too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
Clean the threads on the bolts and in the heads with a tap and die set. Then put sealer on the bolts when installing them. Very important to use proper torque specs and tightening sequence. Make sure all gasket surfaces are clean, use acetone if necessary. Follow the instructions that come with the gasket set. If these gaskets are installed correctly, they will not leak.
Have cleaned everything with acetone. Have not read anywhere else to put sealant on bolts but I will do that.

/F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1642.jpg (97.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1645.jpg (98.2 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

The threaded holes in the cylinder heads are not blind holes, they go all the way through. That's why they need to be sealed. The sealant also helps to keep the bolts from vibrating loose. Use Loctite 2423 thread sealant. It will seal the threads when it cures but the bolts can still be removed with hand tools when necessary.
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
dewaynep dewaynep is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 443
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: LIM Gasket change

The pitting in the second pictures looks like it isn't in the area of the gasket but is where the gasket isn't. That's were they used to have coolant bypass ports through the manifold and now they don't. I would go with the advise you've been told, no sealant on the gaskets, no worries.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2010, 04:44 PM
frehol frehol is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaynep View Post
The pitting in the second pictures looks like it isn't in the area of the gasket but is where the gasket isn't. That's were they used to have coolant bypass ports through the manifold and now they don't. I would go with the advise you've been told, no sealant on the gaskets, no worries.

I have now done as you both advise and reinstalled the LIM without sealant on the gasket.
Tomorrow I will install the rest and see if it works...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Freddy, we'll be waiting
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM
frehol frehol is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

An update:
On Thursday night I put the rest back (new t-stat, dist cap and rotor) and finished all but refilling coolant.
On Friday I went out and filled it up with coolant and tried to start it up...
No start, just cranking.
Rechecked the ignition wires and noticed I swapped 1 & 3.. Then at first crank it sounded like it would start but then it died.
Hm... Start gas... Same again... probably a fuel problem.
Did I remove the plugs in the fuel line connections in CPI unit? (I put them in to avoid getting dirt in CPI)

No, they were still in. Removed fuel lines and plugs (used foam ear plugs, and they really worked, not even fuel passed them )
When I got it all back in place again, it started at first crank!

The new T'stat is an ACDelco, and now my temp is back to normal. I thought it ran a little cold before and twice replaced T'stat (no ACDelco) without improvement. So it pays to get the right brand parts!

So far I have not noticed any coolant leaks, so it looks good.

Thanks for your help.

/Freddy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 AM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Glad you got her fixed, and thanks for posting back!
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM
frehol frehol is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change - now water pump

OK, I'm back.

Now is the water pump leaking trough the weep hole underneath.
I am not sure that it did not leak before I did the LIM Gasket job... but I'm sure it leaks more now.

Can you tell me if it might be caused by having the coolant system drained during the gasket change? It took a week 'till I refilled it.

Didn't think of it then but now I recall reading that, if removed, the water pumped should be kept immersed in a bucket... (read it in my old Haynes for Volvo 240)

Well, next I will have to change WP. It looks like a simple job, maybe 1.5-2h?

/Freddy
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Never heard that about water pumps, can't see that it would make a difference. The main thing is to use the correct coolant. 95 was a transition year; your engine could use either the green ethelene glycol or Dexcool, don't mix the two. Should be a sticker under the hood if it requires Dexcool, or check the owners manual. There is a thread for replacing the water pump in the Blazer "How-To" section.
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 AM
frehol frehol is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

OK, I put in a new water pump yesterday and now it is fine, holds it coolant.

When I bought the car 5 years ago I flushed out all Dexcool and replaced it with normal mono-ethylene glycol after reading about the dexcool problems.

Replacing the WP was simple

Now I am prepared for the winter!

/Freddy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Freddy,

Changing coolant from Dexcool to ethylene glycol, or vice versa, is NOT recommended, unless of course, you want ongoing problems, and you'll have them, guaranteed. This link explains why:

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-wrong-coolant
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 PM
frehol frehol is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
Freddy,

Changing coolant from Dexcool to ethylene glycol, or vice versa, is NOT recommended, unless of course, you want ongoing problems, and you'll have them, guaranteed. This link explains why:

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-wrong-coolant
So the I problems had with LIM gasket and water pump seal is because of my change of coolant type? Then I should go back to dex-cool?
What about the Dex-cool clogging up the system, is it no longer a problem, have they improved the Dex-cool formula?

I replaced the coolant after reading at this forum that Dex-cool might clog up the coolant system. But that was about five years ago...

The glycol I used this time is "Valvoline MaxLife Coolant AF Concentrate" and dest. water (50/50)

//F
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: LIM Gasket change

The problems you've had after changing to ethylene glycol could very well have been caused by using the wrong coolant. Dexcool is not the problem, it never has been. The problem is that Dexcool is not serviced as often as it should be, or it is serviced improperly. The factory recommended service interval was 5 years or 100,000 miles, that's neglect! A 50/50 mixture of Dexcool and distilled water, serviced, (flushed) every 36,000 miles or 3 years, will not "sludge up" or turn to mud. The system also needs to be checked for electrolysis on a regular basis. The problem with LIM gasket leaks is the fault of the design of the gasket, not Dexcool.

The same thing applies for just about everything on a vehicle, if you neglect or abuse it, you're going to have problems. For example, a lot of manufacturers are recommending 7,500 or even 10,000 mile intervals for oil and filter changes. If you ask any honest engine technician, they will agree, it is neglect and abuse. You will have problems that you would not otherwise have, IF you changed the oil and filter somewhere between 3,000 and no more than 5,000 miles.
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing LIM Gasket TIPS mpit91 Grand AM 5 01-31-2012 02:53 PM
Overheating after doing LIM gasket change nosaj1033 Lumina 3 08-16-2010 02:54 AM
Overheating after doing LIM gasket change nosaj1033 Monte Carlo 1 06-25-2010 04:31 PM
Going in after head gaskets - beyond LIM gasket procedures Cressidaadr Venture 4 01-12-2009 11:47 AM
Bad head gasket or LIM gasket? BlueCaprice Windstar 1 03-12-2007 08:55 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts