-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
sgbuick sgbuick is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discolored upper dash on 96

My 96 has a dash top that discolored and turned brownish, presumably from sun exposure, anyone else have this problem and/or cleaning solution? Thx.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Discolored upper dash on 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbuick View Post
My 96 has a dash top that discolored and turned brownish, presumably from sun exposure, anyone else have this problem and/or cleaning solution? Thx.
this is the coating fading. the vinyl is showing which is brown/tan in color..

my 1996 impala med gray interior has had this happen about 5yrs now...I obviously did not want to buy a new one since this was carefully cleaned and protected from UV damage...

I found that this material has / is dyed with a water based dye .that this can be coated with the proper technic to be sucessful ...


I payed 35.oo for the dye and removed the dash to apply [with brush] this product. I used 5 coats then buffed to a new finish look that now 5yrs later still looks new..

later I found these water based dyes are also used in the coloring of the leather seats...my seats I have touched up...then I also used this on other vehicles...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:37 AM
EngineandJuice EngineandJuice is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Discolored upper dash on 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
this is the coating fading. the vinyl is showing which is brown/tan in color..

my 1996 impala med gray interior has had this happen about 5yrs now...I obviously did not want to buy a new one since this was carefully cleaned and protected from UV damage...

I found that this material has / is dyed with a water based dye .that this can be coated with the proper technic to be sucessful ...


I payed 35.oo for the dye and removed the dash to apply [with brush] this product. I used 5 coats then buffed to a new finish look that now 5yrs later still looks new..

later I found these water based dyes are also used in the coloring of the leather seats...my seats I have touched up...then I also used this on other vehicles...
Is this a new thing or does this apply to most vehicles? If you somehow found say an 80 something caprice with a good dash could this be applied?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Discolored upper dash on 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineandJuice View Post
Is this a new thing or does this apply to most vehicles? If you somehow found say an 80 something caprice with a good dash could this be applied?

if the material is leather or vinyl it will work...

surface prep will be the most important factor in this , to be successful..

the company LEATHER TECHNOLOGIES IN ROANOAKE VA is where I purchased these dye products..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Blt2Lst's Avatar
Blt2Lst Blt2Lst is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Discolored upper dash on 96

Or you could just buy a Dash Mat and cover it up..
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
rhomo rhomo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Discolored upper dash on 96

I bought a dash mat from car covers direct.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Blt2Lst's Avatar
Blt2Lst Blt2Lst is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Discolored upper dash on 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomo View Post
I bought a dash mat from car covers direct.
Problem solved, or at least, covered up..
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts