Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Does anyone have 'REAL' photos of these 3 F1 GTR's?

Okay - here's the deal - These three liveries are basically the rarest of all the liveries that were used on the short tail F1 GTRs during 1995 & 1996. One was used in two races, the others in only one. There are very few pictures of any of these out there that I have seen. In fact, the best pictures available seem to be these shots of the corresponding 1/43rd diecast models that were created to commemorate them - imagine that.

Anyway, I'd love to complete my collection of F1 GTR photos with some decent shots of these three cars, so if you have any please share them with me.

= = = = =

The first one appears in two small photos in "Driving Ambition" (pg 217, photo #9 - it's on the far left next to the wall & pg 237, photo #8 - trailing the Harrods F1 GTR through a turn) but I haven't seen any other shots of it in print or on the internet.

It's the "Davidoff Watches" livery and it was used in two different races on the same car. The first race was the 1995 BPR 3-hour race in Zuhai, China where it looked identical to this diecast model. The car finished 2nd overall in that race with Thomas Bscher and John Neilsen as the drivers. The second race it appeared in was the 1996 1000kms of Suzuka where it wore a "BMW of Japan" windshield banner and it wore race #1 instead of #8. The car finished that race in 4th overall with Bscher and Neilsen as the drivers once again.

The F1 GTR this livery was featured on at both races was GTR #03R which normally wore the "West Competition" livery and was painted white and red. For a short time in 1996 this was also the "Sal Oppenheim Jr. & Cie" liveried car, but it retained it's red and white appearance with that livery (though the areas of white & red were reversed for that livery) and it still had some "West" logos on the car.

= = = = =

The second one I have is also seen in two photos from "Driving Ambition" (pg 217, photos 6 & 7) and I have two very small photos of the car I found on the web. Other than that, I've never seen any other shots of it.

It's the "San Miguel/Jacadia" livery and it was only seen one time - at the 1995 BPR 3-hour race in Zuhai, China. Note the Chinese characters on the door as well. This car was the overall winner of the Zuhai race, which happened to be the last event of the 1995 BPR series, and the car was driven by Andy Wallace and Olivier Grouillard. They had actually scored three first place finishes in a row in that car to end their season.

The F1 GTR this livery was used on is actually GTR #06R - the Harrods/Mach One Racing car. It was normally painted Yellow with green accents and sponsorship logos. I'm sure that most of you are familiar with that GTR.

= = = = =

Last, but certainly not least is the one F1 GTR I have never seen a real photo of anywhere. I'm sure some photos exist, as whomever built this diecast model needed to have some kind of reference for it, but I've never come across a single image anywhere. This livery is basically identical to what was used on the 1996 Gulf GTC F1 GTRs as far as the placement of decals and sponsorship logos, however as you can see, the body lacks the blue and orange paint scheme that immediately distinguished those cars as Gulf McLarens.

This livery was only seen at the start of the 1996 BPR season at the Paul Ricard 4-hour race. It was used on GTR #08R - which had been a Gulf GTC team car the through the 1995 BPR season, and it was apparently brought in as a last minute replacement when their new '96-spec GTR #15R was crashed in qualifying. The drivers for this race were Lindsay Owen-Jones and Pierre Henri Raphanel. Because they were using a replacement car, they were forced to start at the back of the grid, and because they did not have time to properly set up the car for the race that day they remained there. According to the poster included with "Driving Ambition", the car failed to finish the race and I found some info on the web that stated the car only lasted 31 laps before retiring due to suspension failure. It has to be the shortest racing career for any livery used on any F1 GTR, hence the lack of photos.

If you've seen any photos of this car in a magazine or anywhere, I'd love to have them. As much a fan of the famous blue & orange Gulf paint scheme as I am, I find this white Gulf car to be very unique and I'd love to have some real images to add to my collection

= = = = =

BTW: Sorry for the long post, but I figured the thread would be a little more interesting if I could include the actual history associated with the livery along with the photos. Hopefully everyone learned something from the thread as well - that's what I strive to do when I post information on these forums so I hoep some of you are feeling the benefits.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:25 PM   #2
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Re: Does anyone have 'REAL' photos of these 3 F1 GTR's?

sorry to quote the whole thing, i can't be bothered to edit it. BTW: i can scan any of the pics out of driving ambition for you if you want me to

1st: the only other pic of this car i have seen is when i got my exoticer catalogue in (model car co.) i was looking at the video section andi noticed this car was on the cover of one of the videos! (hold on, let me go find the catalogue, i think i threw it out today.... ) ok, after looking through my trash i found it... The video is called "sports car experience" but as i recall i don't think it was in their last one so they may have sold it... i'm gonna restart my computer and scan it for u, it'll be really bad tho since the pic is tiny. actually i'll do it tomorrow.

2nd: no clue

3rd: ever since i told you about this car i have been looking for pics of it and i have yet to find one, i don't think any exist..sorry

Last edited by mini magic; 07-29-2003 at 08:12 PM.
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:14 AM   #3
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Re: Re: Does anyone have 'REAL' photos of these 3 F1 GTR's?

Quote:
Originally posted by mini magic
sorry to quote the whole thing, i can't be bothered to edit it. BTW: i can scan any of the pics out of driving ambition for you if you want me to
Only you would quote my entire post...

Sure, go ahead and scan those pics from 'DA' when you get a chance. I'm probably going to buy my own scanner soon, but I've been looking for a Tabloid-sized (11x17) and they're a bit more expensive than the $99 models you find at Best Buy or CompUSA.

I'll have to look into buying that video you mentioned. Surprisingly, I've never heard of it. I just bought the 1996 BPR season review video. It's about an hour long and has some great footage of the F1 GTRs. I'm also planning to buy the LeMans review videos for all the years that McLarens competed. Then there is also a video focused entirely on the McLaren F1 GTR story from the 1995 LeMans race titled "McLaren at LeMans - The Pursuit of Perfection" that I'm going to buy as well. I'll have quite a collection by the time I'm done.

Ultimately, I'd like to get a hold of someone at SpeedChannel (formerly Speed Vision) which used to air all the BPR and FIA GT races and see about getting copies of each race. I'm betting it would either be ridiculously expensive or just not possible, but it never hurts to ask. My true passion relating to the McLaren F1 will always be the F1 GTRs even though we spend most of our time talking about the roadcars.

= = = = =

Even better news is that I emailed the original creator of the "San Miguel" livery and he said that he has a calendar with six photos of the San Miguel GTR that he can scan for me, so when he does that I'll be sure to post them. He said he is working on other projects right now, so it won't be this week, but to remind him if he forgets. WooHoo!!

BTW - Here the tiny shots of it that I already have:

>8^)
ER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000pair_lg.jpg (69.7 KB, 164 views)
Old 06-30-2003, 05:20 AM   #4
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Re: Re: Does anyone have 'REAL' photos of these 3 F1 GTR's?

Quote:
Originally posted by mini magic
1st: the only other pic of this car i have seen is when i got my exoticer catalogue in (model car co.) i was looking at the video section andi noticed this car was on the cover of one of the videos! (hold on, let me go find the catalogue, i think i threw it out today.... ) ok, after looking through my trash i found it... The video is called "sports car experience" but as i recall i don't think it was in their last one so they may have sold it... i'm gonna restart my computer and scan it for u, it'll be really bad tho since the pic is tiny. actually i'll do it tomorrow.
Don't worry about scanning that video cover - it's not the same car. The car on the cover of the video is indeed a Black & Red Davidoff GTR, but unfortunately it's a 1997 long tailed F1 GTR. There's a decent number of photos of that car around, but as I outlined above, hardly any of this short tailed '95 GTR wearing a similar livery.

BTW - The video is actually called "Sports In-Car Experience". Here's the box cover from Exoticar's website:

>8^)
ER
Old 06-30-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

yeah i realized it was a longtail when i noticed it had "day off" livery and not davidoff
Old 07-03-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
maartenvanthek
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to maartenvanthek
anyone of u noticed that just like xp4 right before it went to the us, on a lot of gtr's the clignoteurs are switched. it really is a common mistake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mclaren f1 gtr 97 - #29r - white - hitotsuyama car 2.jpg (42.7 KB, 108 views)
maartenvanthek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by maartenvanthek
anyone of u noticed that just like xp4 right before it went to the us, on a lot of gtr's the clignoteurs are switched. it really is a common mistake
oh yeah
Old 07-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

whats the chassis # of the red+black longtail?
Old 07-29-2003, 08:00 PM   #9
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

I'll tell you - but first, you have to go back and delete the quote of my original post in your first reply.

Deal??

>8^)
ER
Old 07-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

there, please
Old 07-29-2003, 10:51 PM   #11
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

The long tail Davidoff GTR was #22R

>8^)
ER
Old 12-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
Stratoraptor
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Stratoraptor
Re: Does anyone have 'REAL' photos of these 3 F1 GTR's?

Not sure if this has been shared yet...

Stratoraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #13
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

I don't believe that one has been posted here. You picked the perfect thread to add it to though.

Now everyone get cracking on the other two cars - especially that white Gulf car.

>8^)
ER
Old 12-16-2004, 10:58 PM   #14
ArchangelGTR
AF Regular

These were taken from Michael Cotton's books: 1996 GT Endurance and F1 Mclaren GTR. Apologies they are not direct scans.

Regards
ArchangelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #15
ArchangelGTR
AF Regular

Here are some other interesting photos of cars not seen in the "normal" colors associated with the livery:

Franck Muller:

Gulf Car seen in Ueno Clinic livery at Suzuka:

Regards
ArchangelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1