Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
reefgeorge
AF Regular

Need a new compressor 2003 Honda Accord

2003 Accord EX 4 cyl, 165,000 miles. The compressor clutch is shot so we need a replacement compressor. Cost is important. Are there any brands to try and find or any to stay away from? There are some good eBay prices for reman and new but I am not familiar with the brands (ex Blend Air or Tech Choice). Even the offerings at the parts stores are not ND, etc. They offer Spectra, Four Seasons, etc. The warranty is relevant but I am more interested in making sure that after all of that time and labor that this thing does not fail and have to come back out.

Thanks,

George
reefgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Need a new compressor 2003 Honda Accord

Ebay is pretty risky for such parts. Rockauto sells Spectra, Four Seasons and AC Delco.

For my money, AC Delco is the way to go, but they cost a bit more.

FWIW I always let the shop that's doing the AC work (evacuating and recharging) supply the compressor. That way, if the compressor is bad, it's their problem to fix.

If you supply the compressor, the shop can only verify its function after the system has been recharged. If it's bad, you have to pay them to evac and fill again.

You are going to get the system evacuated and a new dryer put in before filling, right?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
reefgeorge
AF Regular

Re: Need a new compressor 2003 Honda Accord

Yes, new compressor and dryer. I found a good deal on a new Denso compressor. The clutch will not engage so I presume that the compressor did not burn out. Would you flush the system during the repair or just pull a vacuum after the replacement?

Thanks,

George
reefgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical