Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Mechanical > Electrical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Electrical Lucas, need I say more?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
BabyShamu
AF Newbie

95 Discovery stuck in park. Please HELP

First time owner of a Range Rover. Love it but don't understand it.

Friend took it out the other day and couldn't move the gear shift out of park postion though car otherwise fine. As he was in the middle of no where called the dealership and was walked through by-passing the brake lock..if that sounds right? Told the brake switch had to be replaced, maybe $20 part, but would be ok so long as the car stayed on neutral when parked and though the brake lights don't work it was good enough to get it home and to the garage. All good but habit put the car into park upon arriving home and not a chance of moving it as I looked at the part to replace and found a mess of charcoal plastic and seemingly fused wires. Surely that's not so good.

So assuming everything has a release switch somewhere and taking into account I do not have a manual, and am not mechanical I have removed the entire centre console looking for something that might indicate the lock can be released..Frankly, without a manual I am mildly apprehensive to go much further without some sort of direction as to what I am looking for...however I hear if I can find a particular two wires and power them via cigarette lighter I should be able to bypass the lock. I would LOVE to do that but I cannot find those wires as I cannot get the gear stick head off to remove the plastic casing...apparently its a lot less tight in neutral or drive, but if I could get the gearshift to either of those settings I really wouldn't find myself in this position in the first place . So any suggestions on how to get that off, or how to bypass the lock a different way, or any suggestions at all would be fantastic..please get in touch! Thanks much.
BabyShamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
BabyShamu
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Discovery stuck in park. Please HELP

Solution found - must strip out centre console to get to gear box and find locking pin inside gearbox, on pasenger side, release and you're off...still no brake lights tho...
BabyShamu is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Mechanical > Electrical