Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
BananaSlug
AF Newbie

Ignition Switch Problem

My '79 Ford E-150 (with only 110,000 original miles) has the ignition switch in the dash. The first time I try to start it after it sits overnight the key won't turn the ignition cylinder. It acts like it's jammed and I have to giggle the key and work it back and forth for several minutes before it finally turns. It's parked outside overnight (too tall to fit under the garage door) and it doesn't matter what the temperature is out.

After I drive it awhile it seems to be okay for the rest of the day. It's been a bit notchy for a long time and lately it's been worse. It's like that with the spare key so I don't think it's a worn key issue.
BananaSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Ignition Switch Problem

That's the first time I've heard of a ticklish key!

It might not be the key that's worn, but rather the tumblers in the key cylinder switch itself.

Does your truck have a separate door key from the ignition key? If so, you might try finding a new replacement key cylinder switch and just changing it out. Since it's mounted in the dash I doubt that it locks the steering column or anything fancy like that.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
BananaSlug (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
BananaSlug
AF Newbie

Re: Ignition Switch Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
That's the first time I've heard of a ticklish key!

It might not be the key that's worn, but rather the tumblers in the key cylinder switch itself.

Does your truck have a separate door key from the ignition key? If so, you might try finding a new replacement key cylinder switch and just changing it out. Since it's mounted in the dash I doubt that it locks the steering column or anything fancy like that.

-Rod
I removed the lock cylinder from the ignition and flushed it out good with lots of WD-40. Unfortunately it didn't work, and the thing jammed for good.

I went over to the local auto parts store and they sold me a replacement lock cylinder with 2 Ford style keys for about $10. That adds another key to my ring but it seems to work okay now. I'm going to buy a second one and carry it in my tool box for a spare, just in case. Thanks for your advice.
BananaSlug is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
ford , ignition , switch
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical