Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #76
MSpring
AF Newbie

Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Jeverett,
What horrible stories have you heard on the screen upgrade?
MSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #77
okie-chevy-man
Banned

Send a message via MSN to okie-chevy-man Send a message via Yahoo to okie-chevy-man
Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett
done the throttle-body bypass,
i may have missed this but what exactly is this?
okie-chevy-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #78
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

the throttle bypass is where you un-hook the coolant lines that go through the throttle body, and just hook them back together with a brass coupler. Supposed to be good for a few horses. The stories I've heard about the screen are,

1.They smooth out air flow across the sensors, so by removing it, the air has moreu tuurbulance therefore screwing the air/fuel mixture up by not letting the ECU get accurate readings.

2. It doesnt keep some things out of the engine that get by the filter. I know if you have a good filter, this doesn't pertain.

Some also have said that it also gave less power and mileage after removed. I didn't really know what was true, so I just put it back in. Its not hard to take out, so if I ever found the truth out, I'd remove it again in a heartbeat. IF I'm wrong, please correct me, I'd like to know the real deal.

Last edited by jeverett; 02-19-2004 at 12:15 PM.
jeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #79
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
At the begining of this post, I was psyched and ready to pull the screen, now I am not so sure. I REALLY need mileage... I got 10.6 mpg on my last tank! It is a 6.0l, and I realize that, but it just gets worse, so any thing to help mileage, and performance of course would be great. I can't afford to lose any though, so should go for it, or not? Also, who has painted their calipers, and if you have, what type of paint, prepping process did you use. I have heard that the paint just wont stay, so I considered powder coating, but I imagine that could get pricey. PLEASE help with suggestions on the screen, I NEEEEEEDDDD the mileage!
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:14 PM   #80
okie-chevy-man
Banned

Send a message via MSN to okie-chevy-man Send a message via Yahoo to okie-chevy-man
DAMN MAN TAKE YOUR FOOT OF THE GAS! 10.5mpg.. I sit you not i have a 2000 silverado with 6.0 and i get anywhere from 17 to 20 mpg. on a long trip i got 22mpg. i get anywhere from 560 to 600 miles per tank. here is my advice on the screen, aftermarket MAF dont have screens. why should the stock? but i would suggest a K&N filter just in case.
BTW
2000 Silverado 6.0 Dual Flowmaster 40 series deltas, K&N FIPK, B&M stage 2street/strip shift kit, and some cheap little sensor i got off ebay that really works!!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #81
roblbenson
AF Newbie

on the K&N FIPK do you think you are really getting the full 9.5 hp as claimed?
roblbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:00 AM   #82
dogdrake
AF Regular

use neverdull that works good on oxidation in referance to the mass air oxidation.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:48 AM   #83
okie-chevy-man
Banned

thats a badass truck dog. on the FIPK.. you can DEFINATLEY feel the acceleration. alot faster throttle response. but my .02, go with the AIRAID. K&N is anywhere from 230 to 300 the airaid is about 100. i drove a friends with an airaid and it has about the same benefits.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #84
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
The AirRaid is only $100? Thats not bad, especially if it helps my gas! I will get an exhaust, I just dont know how soon, and prob a aftermarket maf. Thanks for the suggestions!
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #85
Phix_06
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdrake
use neverdull that works good on oxidation in referance to the mass air oxidation.
Hey I was looking at the whipple superchargers. It must have burned a hole in your pocket when you first got it but the after result must be incredible as far as HP and gid-e-up.
Phix_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:47 PM   #86
killerkatana75
AF Newbie

screen

I took my screen out today and...........didnt notice a difference
killerkatana75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:21 AM   #87
rshooch
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhorizons
OK Phix I removed the MAF screen and after running it for 2 weeks my gas mileage has actually gone down 2 MPG. I have have kept a record of my gas mileage for the past year and the past 2 weeks are the worst on my spreadsheet. I always get gas at the same place so I dont think anything has changed there. Do I need to reset the computer for it to realize the increase in air flow. If so, how do I do that?

the best thing to do is to reset ur cpu.. now about doing it on ur truck i dont know how but it is most likely u will have to pull a couple of fusses then turn ur truck on but not start it.. gm is known for using fusses to reset the cpu.. but i would buy a haynes book or something simular..the best thing to do after u reset ur cpu is to drive normal no wild driving for a few days to allow ur cpu to reprogram ur air to fuel ratio and so forth..by doing this u WILL lose some performance but thats normal for reprograming

another thing not all trucks/cars are going to react the same to the screen removal.
rshooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:07 AM   #88
okie-chevy-man
Banned

to reset the ECU turn the key to the run position, not start just before it where everything is on. then fully depress the accelerator 3 times then shut the ignition off. then start back up. this works after adding a mod. it also clears off your change engine oil light.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:56 AM   #89
Sonny01
AF Enthusiast

Okie...I bought a set of factory fog lights and just found out that the computer needs to be reprogammed to make them work. Will the ignition think work for me or do I need to go to a dealer?
Sonny
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #90
rshooch
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-chevy-man
to reset the ECU turn the key to the run position, not start just before it where everything is on. then fully depress the accelerator 3 times then shut the ignition off. then start back up. this works after adding a mod. it also clears off your change engine oil light.

wow thats a neat way to reset ur cpu/ecu thanks for the info

ryan
rshooch is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K