Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 05:24 PM   #46
GA LOVER
AF Newbie

Let's not fight over this!

BOYS, BOYS, I didn't want to start a ruckus when I posted my reply, it's just an opinion. I am NOT a professional and most of my comments are coming from my ass! I really don't know what car would win, And since we can't settle on a year(seems like 1990-2003) we never can say who would win, not to mention all the mods that are involved. But I will still say, a totally stock GRAND AM VS. a totally stock NEON, regardless of year, the GRAND AM is gonna win. Now I'm not talkin' GT's, R/T's, SRT-4's, just base models. See there I go again, starting shit, I'm partial to grand am's..........that's why they call me GA LOVER
Old 07-25-2003, 12:18 AM   #47
64goat
AF Newbie

neon vs the GAGT

for the race between the neon and the GAGT, i have a 99 GAGT and i was cruisin home from the IHOP down the way and had my posse of "winners with me, so i had a car of 4 18 year old guys filled with pancakes and we were cruising and this dude comes up in a 2 door neon, like a 99 with the full exhaust and most likely a cold air intake on there with a 5spd tranny, and i god my 4door with 110,000 miles on it with the cold air intake and we raced and i beat him 2 times by at the most 3 car links, so it is a close race, but i believe that with my car empty and after dumpin the pancakes i would take him out alot easier, he was pretty quick though, squeelin into 2nd. but when i was at my local strip there was a 97 expresso neon with full exhaust, enderdrive pulleys and an intake job on it, total sleeper, runin 14.4. then while i was up north we went to Golden sands speedway and they have spectator eliminator races on the oval track, which is 2 laps head to head, and my first race was against a 96 Mustang GT, and off the line we stayed neck n neck, but i ended up winning, so if my GAGT can stay with a 4.6 mustang i think i can beat a 6 cylinder neon pretty easy. another car that is fast is the SVT Contour, which runs a 15.7, but i raced one from ohio with some fat dude in it and once we got off the line i didnt start to pull away until around 65 70, so GAGTs can be made fast pretty easy, but i think i won that race because that dude was fat and weighed the beast down, cuz i did race a svt focus on the highway and had a hard time keepin on his ass, especially in the corners, but i had shredded my tires at Golden sands, so i cant keep my grip too well. anyway this winter i hope to put on hedders, true dual exhaust with 2.5" flowmaster exhaust, larger throttle body, new polished and bored intake manifold, custom ram air, parted and polised heads, with larger valves, and an asc chip. all that together should push me over 265 hp 212 ft lb at the flywheel, and there was a dude with a supercharged GAGT that had 260hp and he was runnin a 13.8, so i am looking to run close to that, hopefully better. Just to tell you Dumba$$ morons who say the GAGTs have 170hp,they have 175, the GA SE has 170, not much difference, but it still matters

Hey go to car-stats.com and you can see stock performance on most all cars.

Last edited by 64goat; 07-25-2003 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:07 PM   #48
team_aed
AF Newbie

Stock for stock the GA will win. How do I know, I own a 98 GASE, not GT, but i have the 3.1 V6 so its the damn same.... I had a member in my club with a DOHC NEON (sport model) 5 speed, we raced he had full exhaust, intake, and cam gears, I had intake and exhaust, I got him by about 1 full car length. It was close but I won. Stock for stock I would have gotten a easy 2 car's on him. Mine is auto ofcourse.

But its all driver. Driver error coutns for alot.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:05 PM   #49
GA LOVER
AF Newbie

stock for stock

You say stock for stock, but with an intake and exhaust THAT"S NOT STOCK I can't be too hard on you though, you drive a Grand Am. Oh and spelling errors count for a lot too!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:24 PM   #50
64goat
AF Newbie

dude what are you talking about saying stock for stock about the dudes post, if the neon has cam mods or whatever he said, then it should be faster, but it wasnt, so then whats the point of your reply and who gives about spelling. but he shouldnt be talking about knowing stock, cuz he said they both had mods, thats all i know is my sister had a 99 neon and that was the sports edition, i dont remember what they call em, but it was not fast at all, it was quick, but nothin to brag about. neons are only easier to upgrade, they dont make hardly anything to bolt onto a grand am, so neons are better if you want to mess with the engine and have alot of options, but stock a grand am is better, especially a gt. but if you got money and the GT then you can make it fast, because they have hedders, superchargers, manifolds, throttle bodies, chips, cat back systems, and some other stuff, but the supercharger is 6k alone and hedders are 650.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:35 AM   #51
adamsinstall
AF Newbie

unfortunatly grand ams will loose against DOHC

I hate to tell every one this but i raced my grand am against my best friends Neon. My grand am is an SE Auto with the 3100 V6. He has a DOHC 2.0 manual. He beat my car by over three car lengths in a 0-70 race. I really wish my car could have won. I at the time had my grand am on 205 rubber Eagle GA and he was running standard issue BF goodrich's. I had a Cool air intake and he was still running stock intake with the snorkle taken off. He also had polyurithane motor mounts installed, but really do little for performance. It was a fair race and my grand am is in tip top shape. But sadly i lost. I didnt have an oportunity to race a Neon with the single over head cam, but i have driven them several times and i know for a fact the grand am would beat the SOHC neon, but the dual overhead cam is very quick.

Since the race his neon has transformed. He now is running 225 Rubber Falcons, he has ported intakes and larger man. He has a cool air intake, and is running compression pistons to give the car a G-tech dyno of 182 horse. If you want a cheap car get a neon, if you want a car thats dependable get a grand am.

SORRY FOR THE BIT OF BAD NEWS
Old 08-14-2003, 09:45 AM   #52
'00' GTP
AF Enthusiast

ok, I have to say that that site was great, but I know for a fack that they are wrong on a GTP. I have seen Stock GTP's run 14.5 it saies 15.1...... total BS, and it saies that your pretty little PEON runs mid 16's.........
14.5 stock

2003 Red Accord Coupe
V6 6-speed
car-stats.com saies it runs 14.7
Old 08-15-2003, 02:53 PM   #53
23toyota23
AF Regular

Re: Grand am VS Neon?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossbrads
Ok here it is a 91 Dodge neon "stock" 16valve DOHC VS a 96 Grand Am GT with 3.1 stock???????????? Whats gonna win?
the cop car
Old 08-21-2003, 04:27 PM   #54
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mikegee
i can not see anyway possible the neon winning, sure a neon has a great chance of beating a sunfire with a 2.2 liter s10 engine but we are talking bout older cars a 4 banger neon and a v6 96 grand am well im staying true to the grand am. although i do have a 4banger grand am 2002 and i pulled up next to a v6 grand am 2002 on the high way we both were pushing our cars from 50 to 80 we were side by side and well i cant afford a ticket with points so maybe there is something to sat negitive bout the v6 i donno
Old 08-22-2003, 02:04 AM   #55
voyager
AF Newbie

eh, a 5 speed DOHC neon would be a close race for a 3100 GA. depending on mods, it'd be close. the auto tranny mated to the 3100 is what' holding it back.. but, NEWSFLASH!! there are a couple of berettas on bstuff.com who have successfully mated their 3100s to manuals, but neither have timeslips yet. check it out. generally auto vs. manual, the manual has about 1 sec in the quarer mile.

auto manufacturers sell more automatics because so many people live in cities and are stuck in traffic most of the time that they are driving. also, the cell phone industry prohibits new car owners from using two hands to operate any motor vehicle, hadn't you noticed?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:05 AM   #56
voyager
AF Newbie

adamsinstall, what happened? did you get a bad launch? if you got beat by a naturally aspirated neon, i woulda expected it to be in the top end.

that 5hp from the "ram air" is just ridiculous. hp ratings are usually averages with standard deviations of 2-3hp anyhow on new cars. you guys have to admit it's not really a "ram air" anyway. a warm air intake is more productive, and that's sad.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:08 AM   #57
voyager
AF Newbie

there ARE turbo neons running 12's. get used to it. they won't be falling apart for another year or too ( )

Quote:
ever notice that stock si's dont clock 15.4-15.6?
yeah i've noticed. take out all their seats and put more vtech and type r stickers & they might.. ?

my Z26 isn't afraid of any neon that doesn't say srt, and neither should your GA's be.

Quote:
Old 08-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #58
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

i cant see it even if the neon is a stick it should be out ran by a grand am, a friend of min has a 5speed 96 jetta gt with a dyno slip of 134 to the front wheels his car is also lighter then mine. and he aint out running my 4banger auto. so how can a neon outrun a v6 grand am. i cant see it at all.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:30 PM   #59
'00' GTP
AF Enthusiast

alot of it has to do with the driver. in an auto pretty much all you have to know how to do is mash the gas and go straight, you can cut a second off your time with a manuel, but if you are a terriable driver you can add a sec. all depends on the driving.
14.5 stock

2003 Red Accord Coupe
V6 6-speed
car-stats.com saies it runs 14.7
Old 08-25-2003, 03:53 PM   #60
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Grand am VS Neon?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by '00' GTP
alot of it has to do with the driver. in an auto pretty much all you have to know how to do is mash the gas and go straight, you can cut a second off your time with a manuel, but if you are a terriable driver you can add a sec. all depends on the driving.

in no way shape pr fprm are you wrong, but there is a lil more skill involved in dragin a auto. you want to get as much acceliration as possible with out spinning the tires which not only prolongs life of ya tires and betters ya time without spinning.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM