Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
View Poll Results: what kind of 350z would u buy????
Base model 17 9.55%
Enthusiast Model 24 13.48%
Touring Model 49 27.53%
Performance Model 32 17.98%
Track Model 56 31.46%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 12:25 AM   #31
Omegaman
AF Newbie

you can't get a nav unit until you get to the perfromance trim, can you? can't get one in a base or enthusiast. ordered the touring, thinking about going down to the perfomance w/nav.
Omegaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 12:28 AM   #32
Omegaman
AF Newbie

can anyone tell me how cool the nav is? what can you do with it, what does it sound like? what is the cd/rom function? do you download latest software on it or does it communicate with a satellite? what up
Omegaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:59 AM   #33
TrueWhiteBoy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TrueWhiteBoy
Do any of the models have the TT?
TrueWhiteBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:51 AM   #34
world101
AF Newbie

Re: about wheel weight

Quote:
Originally posted by Zullard
How did you find out that the forged 18's are 18lbs. lighter than the regular 18's and is that for each rim of for all four, well anyway that does not seem like it matters but if you do happen to race.... unsprung weight is equal to around 4 times that of sprung weight therefore if it is only 18lbs. difference for all four rims than it is still 72lbs less which equals a horse power difference of about 7hp which doesn't seem big but is still what some people will spend a hundred or two to get. Also if it is an 18lb. difference for each wheel then the track model would be an around 290 lbs less than the performance giving the track model an advantage of about 29 hp which is big, very big.
I am interested how much do the regular 18's weigh and the forged ones (each) and how did you find out, it will affect my decision. Thanks
i went to a local nissan dealership asking about the Rays 18" wheels... the salesman said they weigh 4 pounds each... i said that's impossible... some of the lightest race wheels on the market weigh 4.5 kg, which is approximately 10 pounds... and those are for 15" wheels, not 18"....

next i stumbled onto this ebay auction... a guy was selling the Rays 18" 350z track model wheels... i sent him an email and asked him how much each wheel weighed... he replied and said the dealer was right and they weigh about 4.5 lbs. each... so if that's true, i'm shocked... that is insanely light for an 18" wheel... i would also like to know the weight of the stock 18" 6-spoke 350z wheel as a comparison...

for those that are interested, you can order the Rays 18" 350z wheels from Nismo.... they are located here.
world101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:49 AM   #35
350ZMotoring
AF Newbie

Got the Touring because I wanted the leather interior.

350ZMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:43 PM   #36
maddog3455
AF Newbie

I'm waiting patiently and hoping the leg room doesn't shrink for a Track Model convertible, add leather good to go!

PS dealers in CT/RI/MA have at least one on the lot most at sticker.
it's tough to sell a Z with snow in the forecast.
maddog3455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:55 AM   #37
world101
AF Newbie

i finally found the answer... the Rays 18" track model wheels are:
Front: 8.1 kg
Rear: 8.3 kg

1 lb = 2.2 kg

So the wheels are approximately 18 lbs each (as someone stated above). This is for each wheel.

Here's more info:
Quote:
Even the top-of-the-line Track model tested here — with its front and rear spoilers (eliminating front and rear lift and cutting the drag coefficient from 0.30 to 0.29), Rays Engineering forged-aluminum 18-inch wheels (saving a total of almost 18 pounds of unsprung weight), Brembo brakes, viscous limited-slip differential, aluminum pedals, and raft of nonperformance upgrades — goes for only $34,619, $7810 more than a base Z. article

Quote:
"Sprung" weight is a term used to describe the parts of an automobile that are supported by the front and rear springs. They suspend the vehicle's frame, body, engine, and the power train above the wheels. These are quite heavy assemblies. The "unsprung" weight includes wheels and tires, brake assemblies, the rear axle assembly, and other structural members not supported by the springs. article

So...
The Rays wheels, Brembo brakes, tires, etc. save 18 lbs of unsprung weight compared to the stock 18" wheels/brakes/tires. That is approximately 4.5 lbs per corner of the car. However, the track model is still heavier than the performance model.
Estimated curb weights:
Performance = 3217 lbs
Track = 3225 lbs
world101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:31 AM   #38
asw240sx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to asw240sx
well, if I had my pick with no limit on money, I would most definetely buy the Track model. It is so awesome and the 18" wheels just make it perfect! But, unfortunately money is an issue...I got an academic scholarship to attend NCSU that pays for 2 years of my tuition, so my parents made me a deal that they would buy me a new car....within reason...so I'm going with the 350Z Enthusiast...its a great car for the money and it's so FUN to drive!!!
asw240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:13 AM   #39
onetrav
AF Newbie

I think the brembo brake are extremly benificial. Especially if you paln to take it to the track every now and then. Which I would. If you ever have been on a race track with stock brakes you understand what I mean here
onetrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:40 AM   #40
Taya
AF Newbie

What Z to buy? Perfomance

I looked the the performance vs. the Touring. Note all, the leather seats are not as comfi as the cloth one.
What use do you have to do with electric seat adjustments when you are the only driver and the seat never needs to be moved...?. Do you really need heated seats?. The sound system differ in performance ONLY by the added sub woofer. These additions did not let me add $3K and I got the performance one. I am extremely happy with it.
The important note though is, Note that the leather seats are not good as the cloth ones.
Taya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:50 AM   #41
350Z Guy
AF Newbie

Touring vs Performance

I just got my touring Z 3 days ago, shes a beauty. $3k sounds about right for the extra bells and whistles. I like the leather, so for "me" I think its nicer than the performance package. The stereo doesnt set the world on fire in either package, but the added sub probably adds alot if your not trying to be ghetto 8 Mile style and is perfect for me.

On another note, i have been researching putting a Monitor and DVD player in my car.(didnt get the NAV system). I thought this was a very interesting idea: 5inch monitor installed in the obvious dash storage where the NAV system would be. and then take a PS2 and put it in the rear hatch behind the passenger seat. Obviously some customizing would be needed so PS2 cords arent laying everywhere and so you dont see the system, justs the pop out tray. this would cost roughly $1k-1.5k.
350Z Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:32 PM   #42
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Definitely the Track Model, hopefully they'll start producing them with stock TT's, then they'll be selling like hotcakes. Move over Vette, Porsche and Supra the TT Z is coming.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:53 PM   #43
TuxedoCartman
AF Regular

I bought a Touring Model, just because it was there on the dealer's lot, in the color I wanted.

But if I were ordering one, I'd get the Base Model. I always turn off the VDC whenever I get in (gets to be a pain in the butt after a while) because I don't need it, and while the Bose sound system and Xenon headlights are nice, it's not worth the price difference. All the cars have the same engine, tranny, and suspension, so anything you add on is just fluff (though I'll admit, I wish I had the Track Model wheels and brakes: not necessary, but NICE!)

However, if you EVER plan to drive this car out of town, or live in a major metropolitan area, the Nav system is beautiful! Works great, easy to use, lot's of features. Mine doesn't have it, but I wish it did.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #44
Nissan Sales 310
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Nissan Sales 310
Touring is by far the best if not just for fact you get power seat leather bose and you can get it with front and rear spoilers so all you really need to do it add brembo breaks and lighter better looking rims
Old 04-25-2003, 08:51 AM   #45
Bimmerkid
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bimmerkid
Daytona Blue Roadster.

Future projects - F150 Lightning, 57 Chevy, Castrol Tom's Supra, Skyline BlackBird.
Bimmerkid is offline   Reply With Quote