|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#16
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
I checked the coolant and it was bone dry. I put coolant in it and the heat was coming out HOT. I still need to work on the blower because levels 1-4 don't work.
Thanks for the help. |
|
#17
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
Quote:
__________________
'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8 '02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6 '99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6 '03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold) Timeslip 08/12/06 AF Community Guidelines |
|
#18
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
Quote:
Post the part # for the blower motor resistor and I will buy it at autozone. I will have someone I know do it on the side, if they are mechanic and know what they are doing how long should it take them? |
|
#19
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
__________________
'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8 '02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6 '99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6 '03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold) Timeslip 08/12/06 AF Community Guidelines |
|
#20
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
I checked my coolant today and I have a coolant leak. The tank was almost empty from filling it just 24 hours ago.
|
|
#21
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
Quote:
Check it out as soon as possible because if the coolant loss is internal through the intake system it may cause the engine to hydro lock and blow the engine.
__________________
'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8 '02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6 '99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6 '03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold) Timeslip 08/12/06 AF Community Guidelines |
|
#22
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
I took my car to my mechanic and he fixed the blower, he put it a blower motor resistor and it's now working on all levels. He told me I have a coolant leak in the intake gasket and the valve cover gaskets, he told me if the coolant gets into the oil I will have serious problems, is he correct?
Also how long should this job take, he told me 6-7 hours to remove the gaskets to fix the leak and about $300 for labor with basically no parts, is this a good deal? |
|
#23
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
Absolutely. You may get bearing failure...crankshaft, connecting rod, camshaft, valvetrain, etc. The bad part is coolant consumed internally via the UIM or LIM is bad enough. For a pro that is about right for both UIM and LIM. DIY may take you all day or two but you will save on labor costs. Stealership and Shops may charge upwards to $1K with parts for both UIM and LIM. The $300 labor doesn't sound bad as long as the work is done right and guaranteed. It will be a couple hundred for parts to include a new UIM plenum and all gaskets/hardware.
We have another thread going where one of our members is doing the UIM/LIM job DIY. Check it out when you get a chance.
__________________
'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8 '02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6 '99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6 '03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold) Timeslip 08/12/06 AF Community Guidelines |
|
#24
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
I've had this same coolant leak now for about 1 year that I know of because when I use to get my oil changed they would tell me. Wouldn't have I had problems with the above mentioned if it's been a year, can I just go without it?, what's the odds of something happening?
What is the UIM and LIM? |
|
#25
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
Where exactly is the coolant leak?
UIM = Upper Intake Manifold LIM = Lower Intake Manifold
__________________
'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8 '02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6 '99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6 '03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold) Timeslip 08/12/06 AF Community Guidelines |
|
#26
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
I don't know exactly where it is. Where is the leak usually worse to have in the UIM or LIM?
|
|
#27
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
Quote:
__________________
'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8 '02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6 '99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6 '03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold) Timeslip 08/12/06 AF Community Guidelines |
|
#28
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '97 Grand Prix GT Help Heater problem
Quote:
that's not good ![]() You bearings will get pretty scratched up from this. That is a good price for labor too , like Bob said if its guaranteed. Also check your resivior for cracks. I have seen may leak out the bottom/sides, possibley from freezing when not enough coolant was in there. Just my
__________________
1999 Grand Am SS 3.4 OHV
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|