Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
excheezhead
AF Regular

Re: Ok, I got it ordered......now what.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junky1991
Cool man ill try that. Not gonna mess with it this weekend but maybe some sometime next week. Will keep ya posted and hopefully I can keep my blood pressure down lol.
i use beer, but i lock my tool box first and hide the key before the first beer get cracked!!!!!!!
excheezhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #17
Junky1991
AF Newbie

UPDATE!!!!!!

Victory is mine....for now

Well today I finally got off that dumb bracket and torx screw, now several pieces later (used a hand saw with metal blade im ready to put on the new nut kit and put everything back together......hopefully.

P.S got some Anti-seize for that torx and when I do my next spark plug job.
Junky1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #18
Junky1991
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Ok, I got it ordered......now what.......

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I got the nut kit installed and everything back on.......only had one bolt extra....o well...
im broke so only changed the nut kit and the fuel press regulator. Assembly will have to wait....

Took it for a test drive and it was like night and day wow!!!!! power and no ruff idle for once. I want to thank everyone on this forum for giving me advice and all the articles that gave me the knowledge to get er done!

So I cross my fingers and go through the list of other things that need replacing. I love my Jimmy again!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #19
wb8yjf
AF Regular

YA-HOO! I'm gonna do this thing next for my wierded out Jimmy....
wb8yjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
Junky1991
AF Newbie

Good luck, it might not be as bad for you hopefully. Here is a good link with pics....

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=473110
Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #21
wb8yjf
AF Regular

I got the nut kit today. Got a pretty good deal on it $48 w/tax (helps having a buddy who gets a city discount ). I sure hope this works, since the only other thing left is the spyder assy & that ain't cheap! I like you, never wanna see the inside of a Vortec engine again! I've been fighting things from a dead fuel pump, busted lines, rear brakes (tuff job), bad brake line, regulator, filters, two broken tank straps, etc. for the past 6 weeks! This baby will practically NEW by the time I'm done! I'll let you guys know how it went and if the nut kit was the problem...

Jon
Old 07-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #22
wb8yjf
AF Regular

Well, mo-fo. I took the old nut kit out and found the (I think) the return line (the one facing the front of the engine on the passenger side) had a crack near the line coupling & that this line was also LYING AGAINST the #5 injector line. This caused a big time rub spot that also showed signs of a leak. Fixed! Right? Nope. I got it all back together (it actually went pretty smooth - that torx screw that hols the bracket for the nut kit AND the lines freed right up!), cranked it and it fired - rather reluctantly, but it DID fire. I shut it off and tried it again & nope - just like before. I smelled some gas....I checked the lines - no leak....Now I guess I am just gonna have to face the fact that the CPI is bad - probably where it was rubbing against the nut kit line. I did a visual inspaection and did see signs of rubbing on it, but since the things get so damned nasty looking, I didn't "see" anything. I am pretty P-O'd about this as this engine has less than 50K on it & I bought a new spyder when I had them build this one. I don't think that the injector line should have EVER physically touched the nut kit line - am I correct? I mean they were tight against each other.....I am gonna "assume" this isn't the way it is supposed to be... am I correct? Please help me guys, this is REALLY frustrating. Only good thing is I can get the intake off in about 15 minutes NOW. I am depressed....I just wanna get my Jimmy back on the road after 6+ weeks of fighting various problems. I'm in for about $750 already and looking at another $350 for the new CPI. I'm gonna wait till Monday to see if I can get a discount on that, maybe save me a hundo or so (HOPEFULLY). I can post pix of the nut kit line that was bad if you guys can tell me how to....

Bummed....

Jon
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #23
excheezhead
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: Ok, I got it ordered......now what.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb8yjf
Well, mo-fo. I took the old nut kit out and found the (I think) the return line (the one facing the front of the engine on the passenger side) had a crack near the line coupling & that this line was also LYING AGAINST the #5 injector line. This caused a big time rub spot that also showed signs of a leak. Fixed! Right? Nope. I got it all back together (it actually went pretty smooth - that torx screw that hols the bracket for the nut kit AND the lines freed right up!), cranked it and it fired - rather reluctantly, but it DID fire. I shut it off and tried it again & nope - just like before. I smelled some gas....I checked the lines - no leak....Now I guess I am just gonna have to face the fact that the CPI is bad - probably where it was rubbing against the nut kit line. I did a visual inspaection and did see signs of rubbing on it, but since the things get so damned nasty looking, I didn't "see" anything. I am pretty P-O'd about this as this engine has less than 50K on it & I bought a new spyder when I had them build this one. I don't think that the injector line should have EVER physically touched the nut kit line - am I correct? I mean they were tight against each other.....I am gonna "assume" this isn't the way it is supposed to be... am I correct? Please help me guys, this is REALLY frustrating. Only good thing is I can get the intake off in about 15 minutes NOW. I am depressed....I just wanna get my Jimmy back on the road after 6+ weeks of fighting various problems. I'm in for about $750 already and looking at another $350 for the new CPI. I'm gonna wait till Monday to see if I can get a discount on that, maybe save me a hundo or so (HOPEFULLY). I can post pix of the nut kit line that was bad if you guys can tell me how to....

Bummed....

Jon
gm procedure is very specific on being cautious when routing the spider. the gm book has very good pictures and diagrams. sounds to me like the install tech didn't route them exactly right and thats where the rubbing came from. if you got a warrantee for the install, maybe you can shame them into doing it right.
excheezhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #24
wb8yjf
AF Regular

excheezhead - I agree. Logic just tells me these lines were not supposed to be touching. I have to take some pix of this stuff and post 'em. I decided to cut some $10/foot really good fuel line split it, & slip it over the injector lines that were close - to add a buffer to the rubbing - but ALAS, I seem to have a screwed up spider assy. I KNOW everything else is OK - the spider assy is the absolute last thing I have to replace...damn. All else has been replaced but that $$$ thang. What really hacks me off is when I had a rebuilt engine installed (over 5K) I bought a new spider assy - but they didn't say I needed a nut kit. They basically supplied the small block and installed whatever I gave 'em for the upper part. One thing I can say about this ordeal - I am learning a LOT about these engines and am getting way to comfortable tearing them apart.... Oh well, I guess I'll have to bite the bullit and replace that POS and - *** hopefully*** that will be the end of this ordeal. I'll let u guys know....ug....
Old 07-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #25
wb8yjf
AF Regular

excheezhead - I agree. Logic just tells me these lines were not supposed to be touching. I have to take some pix of this stuff and post 'em. I decided to cut some $10/foot really good fuel line split it, & slip it over the injector lines that were close - to add a buffer to the rubbing - but ALAS, I seem to have a screwed up spider assy. I KNOW everything else is OK - the spider assy is the absolute last thing I have to replace...damn. All else has been replaced but that $$$ thang. What really hacks me off is when I had a rebuilt engine installed (over 5K) I bought a new spider assy - but they didn't say I needed a nut kit. They basically supplied the small block and installed whatever I gave 'em for the upper part. One thing I can say about this ordeal - I am learning a LOT about these engines and am getting way to comfortable tearing them apart.... Oh well, I guess I'll have to bite the bullit and replace that POS and - *** hopefully*** that will be the end of this ordeal. I'll let u guys know....ug.... I may just call and give 'em hell about this...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy