Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 06:53 AM   #16
oldmike
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Alero coolant sludge problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrt79
yup, definately intake gskts.... after you replcace them, or i should say, DURING... make sure to get the NEW updated bolts... and torque them to specs... the gskts have changed, and the bolts have also. after you replace them, i have heard of the coolant swap as well, might do you good.

SCRT79,
You sound like maybe you work for a dealer. What does the new gasket plus bolts cost? About the coolant swap you mention, is this a swap from Dex-Cool to green stuff? Also, in another post talking about the tire rub problem, it sounds like you are saying the dealer might replace for free. Is that true?
Thanks,
Mike
oldmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:35 AM   #17
jamcllw
AF Enthusiast

Re: Alero coolant sludge problem

The new bolts are nothing more than bolts with threadlocker on them. You don't have to buy the new bolts just make sure you clean yours very well and run them through on of those things that re thread bolts(couldn't think of the name of them) and then just put locktight on the bolts. You don't have to spend the money on new ones. Also check ebay for the gaskets I got the updated gaskets for $20 shipped to my door. Look to spend around $50 or more from the dealer and most parts places like autozone or pepboys don't have the updated gaskets. And the only difference between the old gaskets and the new ones is that there are two little metal cylinders by the bolt holes that prevent you from over torqueing the bolts and cracking the gaskets.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #18
scrt79
AF Newbie

in CDN funds they list at approx $98.01 and that is just for the upper and lower gskt kits. as far as the tires go.. there IS a possibility of a replacement"au gratis" but prob only for the front 2 tires.
scrt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #19
scrt79
AF Newbie

p.s. yes i do work for a dealership
scrt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #20
DamienZ28
AF Regular

On mine I used new head bolts that a must since the tourqe is dependant on this. As for the Intake bolts just wire wheel those off and make sure there good and clean. On mine I used red locktight and its working out verywell so far. Oh and as a rule I ALWAYS use felpro gaskets.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #21
jamcllw
AF Enthusiast

9 times out of 10 I'd use Felpro gaskets but they didn't have the updated version when I went to get the gaskets so I got the revised kit from GM off of ebay for $20
Old 06-09-2004, 12:12 PM   #22
DamienZ28
AF Regular

Wow I was in such a rush to get our montana done that I over looked the crush sleeves EEK. But I tourqued them down to specs and since its just the intake it shouldnt br half as bad as the heads were... Well almost. You are right though the felpro doesnt have them. I guess Ive blindley trusted felpro for to many years. Ill post if they go bad for some reason, but I do expect them to hold up! I hope!

Damien
Old 06-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #23
jamcllw
AF Enthusiast

I hope you know when GM found out about the gasket constantly failing they released new torque specs. That was the reason they were all failing is because they were torqued too tight.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #24
DamienZ28
AF Regular

Yeah I used the new specs, but it did seem really loose feeling. Oh well I used locktight so they should hold fine. Like I siad ill post if they fail.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:26 PM   #25
jdeemer
AF Newbie

I don't recommend switching over the antifreeze to the green. If you use dexcool and distilled water you'll be fine. Why distilled? G.M. has a service bulletin out recommending it to reduce corrosion and sludge in the system.
jdeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:53 AM   #26
oldmike
AF Newbie

jdeemer - I agree. I'm not planning to switch from orange DexCool, I've had it in several cars now, and have had no problems.

jamcllw - Can you tell me the updated gaskets' part number and if you've seen any still for sale on eBay? Also where can I find the new torque specs? What all am I looking at pulling off the top of the motor to get to the lower intake gasket?

Thanks Guys,
Mike
oldmike is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero