Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:06 AM   #16
bratt
AF Regular

Re: Turbo Diesel Excessive BlowBy problems

I found this on another forum and found it to be my problem. this is exactly what is happening!

All 6.9L and 7.3L diesel engines are equipped with a CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) valve. Even the new 7.3L Power Stroke is also equipped with the same valve. The CDR valve is one of the leading causes of head gasket failure in these engines. The CDR valve is responsible for controlling the pressure/vacuum in the engine crankcase, and seperating the oil mist from the air and returning the oil to the crankcase. The CDR valve should be serviced every second oil change or when signs listed below are seen.

When the CDR valve is not properly serviced, engine oil enters the air intake and is drawn into the engine. The diesel engine will burn this oil as fuel, however, it is heavier and thicker than diesel fuel and, having greater BTU output, causes excessive heat in the cylinder. Due to the intake manifold design, most of the oil will migrate to #7 and #8 cylinders; the last two cylinders in the rear by the firewall. The increased temperature here will cause the cylinder head to lift off the gasket and allow water or oil to leak out the back of the cylinder head where it meets the block.

To check your CDR valve, remove the air cleaner hold down bolt and inspect it. If the bolt is covered with engine oil mist, it's time to service your CDR valve!

To service the CDR wash with a solvent, allow to dry, do not use compressed air to dry. There is a small hole in the CDR back cover, ensure it is clean and open. If black chunks of rubber are visible in the intake, on the screen then the rubber membrane has disintegrated, replace the CDR.

Ford..... Adapter assembly for Crankcase Ventilation" Part number E3TZ-6A665-A

IH part # 1805319C1
bratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #17
bratt
AF Regular

Question Re: Turbo Diesel Excessive BlowBy problems

today i took off the CDR valve and pointed it away from the engine to see how bad it was

it smokes a bit but no oil comes out of it and im still gettin white smoke at higher rpms when i rev up

now im coming to believe its my turbo that needs a rebuild. i dont know why else i would get white smoke. i dont think its unburned gas either

at idle though the truck runs perfect!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #18
bratt
AF Regular

ooh i talked to banks today there is no cat on my tailpipes and they said its impossible to have an exhaust restriction and its 3" pipe all the way back
Old 06-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
bratt
AF Regular

im pretty damn sure i have a turbo oil leak
Old 06-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #20
yotermanic
AF Regular

Hate to tell ya this, but a turbo doesn't cause excessivce crankcase pressure, compression or exhaust pressure in the crankcase does. Usually excessive crankcase pressure is caused by rings or a piston. We do them at the dealership as an alternative to a wet compression test because you aren't supposed to do them on diesels. Of course, when yo remove the glow plug to test the cylinder, oil from under the valve cover gets in the cylinder anyhow so whenever you do a compression test on a powerstroke, it's a wet one. Anyhow, it's probably going to be base engine. As far as the oil in the intercooler (turbo? you didn't give a year so I don't know if you're intercooled or not) ducts, I wouldn't be overly concerned the moving air causes oil to be sucked through the breather hose that attatches to your intake air line just before the turbo. I've had a lot of intercooler ducts off and have never seen one without oil in it. Anyhow, the oil can make them a little peppier! If you really think you have too much oil, it could also be related to the crankcase presure concern as pressure in the crankcase will facilitate the escape of oil into the turbo ducts. If you still suspect a turbo, though pull the intake hose and downpipe and check the turbineshaft for side to side slop. A little tiny bit is probably okay since there is no oil pressure, but you know when there's too much, trust me on that! Also, I've worked in a dealership on these things for years and have never heard of CDR on a powerstroke, what part are you talking about? Anyhow, good luck with it.
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #21
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

White exhaust smoke is most often caused by low fuel pressure, low Cetane fuel, or retarded timing.

Based on your descriptions, I would guess fuel pressure/timing are the main issues with your white smoke at higher RPM.

While you *can* do a "wet" compression test on a diesel, they sometimes start during this, so performing a "cylinder leak-down test" is a FAR more reliable way to determine overall engine condition. No cylinder should "leak" more than 25% wet or dry. Higher dry than wet leakage = ring or cylindre issues, if it's the same both ways then it is a valve or gasket problem.

Remember, less than 25% = ok.
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #22
bratt
AF Regular

so how do i fix it?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #23
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

Fix what?

You do not even know for sure if there is anything wrong with it.
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series