-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Tesla Motors > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-28-2026, 05:28 AM
EvanGrande EvanGrande is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2026
Posts: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hub centric vs lug centric — am I overthinking this for my Tacoma?

I've got a '21 Tacoma SR5 that I'm slowly modding (nothing crazy, just wheels and some cosmetic stuff). Picked up a set of Method wheels a few months back and the shop that mounted them threw on some cheap **lug centric wheel spacers** because the offset was a little aggressive for the front. They didn't ask me — just did it.

Drove around for about two weeks thinking everything was fine until I hit 70+ on the highway and started feeling this slight shimmy through the steering wheel. Nothing scary, but... you know when something just feels off? Took it to a buddy who's way more into the wrenching side of things than I am, and he immediately asked if the spacers were hub centric. They weren't.

So here's where I'm at now: I pulled those off immediately and I've been researching what to replace them with. Everything I'm reading says **hub centric wheel spacers** are the only way to go if your wheel's center bore is larger than the hub — something about the weight sitting on the hub instead of hanging off the lug studs. That makes sense intuitively but I keep seeing people online say "I've run lug centric for years with zero issues" and now I'm second-guessing whether I just had a bad set or if the whole thing is overblown.

For anyone who's actually run both on a truck (especially Tacomas or similar pickups) — did you notice a real difference? And how do you figure out the exact specs without measuring ten times and still guessing wrong? I found this buyer's guide that breaks down the hub-centric vs lug-centric thing pretty clearly and has a section on measuring bolt pattern and CB, which helped me understand what numbers I actually need before ordering anything. But I'd still rather hear from real people who've been down this road.

Also — forged vs cast spacers? Worth the extra money for a daily driver that sees highway speeds every day, or am I paying for peace of mind at that point?

Thanks in advance. This forum's been a goldmine for reading even if I haven't posted until now.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2026, 06:43 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Hub centric vs lug centric — am I overthinking this for my Tacoma?

Lug centric wheels require a special adapter on the balancing machine to achieve a proper balance, this was a problem with any wheel that did not seat on the hub.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxwedge For This Useful Post:
EvanGrande (08-28-2026)
  #3  
Old 08-28-2026, 09:22 PM
EvanGrande EvanGrande is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2026
Posts: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hub centric vs lug centric — am I overthinking this for my Tacoma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Lug centric wheels require a special adapter on the balancing machine to achieve a proper balance, this was a problem with any wheel that did not seat on the hub.
maxwedge, that actually explains a lot. The shop that mounted mine never said a word about any of this, they just slapped the spacers on and handed me the keys. If they balanced the wheels lug centric without the right adapter, that would totally account for the shimmy showing up the way it did, because like you said the wheel isn't really seating on the hub the way it should.

I pulled those off the same day my buddy pointed it out and I'm now set on going hub centric. The guide I linked in the first post broke down the center bore vs hub thing well enough that I at least know what numbers to measure now instead of guessing. On forged vs cast, I'm leaning forged. It's a daily that lives on the highway, so the small price bump feels worth it for the peace of mind.

Quick question since you clearly know the wrenching side better than I do. When a shop does balance lug centric properly with that adapter, is the result actually as solid as a hub centric setup, or is it always going to be a step behind? Trying to decide if I even bother with lug centric wheels again or just stick to hub centric from here on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2026, 09:02 AM
Stealthee's Avatar
Stealthee Stealthee is offline
Your worst nightmare
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,099
Thanks: 45
Thanked 262 Times in 256 Posts
Re: Hub centric vs lug centric — am I overthinking this for my Tacoma?

The spacers are the problem. Not hub centric vs lug centric. The whole point of being lug centric is the lugs center the wheels, vs the hub centering it. It doesn't affect how the weight of the wheels sit. The people that say that don't know what they are talking about.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using lug centric wheels (in fact 95% of aftermarket wheels are lug centric). As max said the problem was likely with how it was balanced. A proper balanced lug centric wheel, using the proper lug nuts will not have any adverse effects.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2026, 06:35 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Hub centric vs lug centric — am I overthinking this for my Tacoma?

Correct, same old issue of not doing things correctly. The person balancing the wheels must be informed whether the wheels are lug or hub centric, then they know. what to do, of course he would need the lug centric adapter if needed, a lot of old school shops don't have it. BTW, pretty sure the Tacoma , stock, use lug centric wheels.
__________________
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Tesla Motors > General Discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts