-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-11-2017, 05:48 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rasty PS13 Silvia

Here is the second build for 2017. Previous build can be found here.

Rasty PS13 Silvia by Aoshima 008898



Going to be pretty much OOB. Plan is to paint it a metallic black and a black interior. Glad there is no chrome on this one, BMF is no fun to apply. Not sure how quick this one will get completed as it's summer and you know how that is.

Normally I like to attach all the body parts to the main body so it is easier to paint. The front end on this one is four parts assembled with a chrome headlight piece and silver intercooler. Not sure or if I can put it all together without masking. Might have to do it as different parts then assemble later.



This kits comes with two different styles of headlights. It calls for the square ones but I'm a sucker for the projector types...



Putting the wide body kit on the main body there is a lot of tweaking needing to be done to make sure all the fenders match up. On the plus side there was virtually not mold seams on this body so that was nice.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2017, 01:25 AM
circuitR's Avatar
circuitR circuitR is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 758
Thanks: 71
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Thought about buying this kit. Will be watching this with interest
__________________
Check out my
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2017, 07:06 PM
da_ashman's Avatar
da_ashman da_ashman is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,761
Thanks: 51
Thanked 136 Times in 134 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Nice! Ive seen a few of these built, but never being built, really keen to see each step & how you get on. Also keen on getting one too!
__________________

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2017, 10:57 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

After a bit of fiddling with the body kit I got it mostly nicely lined up with little gaps.



Top down view with the hood in place. It's going to have a nice stance.



Mounting up on the paint holder. I made it so the gas cap is now accessible, had to cut the fender then applied some putty from the back side to fill up the gap.



Glamour shot from the front.



Body primed, still having some issues with the Stynylrez primer and my air brush. I think it was too think and was coming out splotchy. Thinned it with some alcohol and was a but thin and ran in a couple of places. Might have to mix up a bottle of 50/50.



All the pieces that were primed. Learned my lesson last time and primed the bottom this time.



Up next is to give it a light sanding and a look over and make sure nothing else needs fixing before the base coat goes on.

PS. if anyone wants additional pictures let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2017, 05:22 AM
manos13 manos13 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Dear Sir,
I have builted this model kit last year.You need to know that you have to modify the front wheels because they fit about 3-4 mm inside the front sides.So first dry fit them before final assembly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:54 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by manos13 View Post
Dear Sir,
I have builted this model kit last year.You need to know that you have to modify the front wheels because they fit about 3-4 mm inside the front sides.So first dry fit them before final assembly.
Thanks for the heads up I'll make sure to do a dry fit before I glue it all together.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Bit of an update. I got down the base coat and the metal flake is much larger than I expected and makes things very sparkly and not as dark as I was hoping. I used some finger nail polish from kleancolor from ebay because it was cheap and comes in lots of colours. Drys to a semi-gloss finish but a good coat of clear will fix that.



And a few coats of clear. It really brings out the sparkly and it's hard to get a good picture with my phone and crappy lighting looks much better in person. Maybe once done and use my DSLR it will look better.

I'm still trying to get the clear to go down nice and smooth and this time I thinned out the clear at about 2:1 and that seemed to really help. It is so smooth with little orange peel I might not even bother to sand and polish it but I want to make it like glass too... The clear I use is Dupli-Color automotive clear I got from local automotive store (Canadian Tire). It says no need to thin and ready to spray but I'm guessing that is for the big spay guns and not air brushes. Also I find this clear takes a while to cure, maybe 3-4 weeks to get nice and hard before I try to sand and polish. I don't mind experimenting to find what works for me as these first few models I do will be cheap ones and I wont feel bad if I need to toss one because I total messed it up.



Lastly I think my compressor might have packed it in because it was taking a real long time to build pressure and then started to make a funny noise and smelted a little bad. I'll try to take it apart and see if there is anything I can do if not a trip out to the above automotive store to get a new one. So the next update might be a while with dead compressor and drying clear.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-24-2017, 04:21 AM
circuitR's Avatar
circuitR circuitR is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 758
Thanks: 71
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Looking good! Bummer about the compressor 😫
__________________
Check out my
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Hi all, I know it's been a little while since last update. With summer in full swing and vacations and a 5 year old my modeling time is hard to come by. Since the weather here has been a bit hot I've spent some time out side and figure at least I could do was sand and polish the body.

I started with some 1500 grit to remove as much orange peal as I could without sanding through the the clear coat.



This left things a bit hazy so onto the 4000 grit then stage 2 polish and left me with a very shinny finish that I'm happy about.



I still have to wax it but that wont be closer to when I'm all done. Also see I need to remove the polish from the panel lines...

Onto the undercarriage then the interior. I really need to spend more time with my hobby as I keep on getting more boxes in the mail.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Nissanmotorsport's Avatar
Nissanmotorsport Nissanmotorsport is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 330
Thanks: 36
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Great paintjob
__________________
Grtzzzzz Nissanmotorsport
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissanmotorsport View Post
Great paintjob
I figure if the guys building armor can spend hours making their tanks looks messy and worn I can take some time and try to get the smoothest shiniest paint job I can.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

I'm not dead yet, sorry the long delay between updates. Now summer is over and winter is coming I'll have more time to work on modeling.

Just small update today more will come soon.



Painted flat black around the windows and doors, hard to see with it being all black.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vexorg For This Useful Post:
Zyraf82 (09-24-2017)
  #13  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:31 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

After a bunch of air brushing and masking and painting and applying decals I have a couple more pics to share.





Onto the under side...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:18 PM
vexorg vexorg is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Ok here is the big mega update.



Her under belly. Hard to get a picture without glare. Painted it with the same color as the body, just one real heavy coat and no clear over it. Try to make it bit messy looking and not too clean looking. Sprayed some flat black into the wheel wells. Hand painted the exhaust and drive train with different metallic color to break things up a bit. Again wanted to to not look perfect.



This time with the wheels attached. These wheels use real metal springs and really need three hands to hold everything together without the springs popping out and flying across the room. The wheels in the back have a loose fit and flop around a bit.



Nice bumm. The break light was cast in red plastic but the turn signals where done in clear. I figured they would look better as orange so I painted a bunch a heavy coats on the back side and get it dark enough to look real. I then used a black 'Sparpie' around the outer frame to give it a better look then being clear/silver.



The front end. Bunch of fiddly parts to go together for the head lights. Painted the turn signals here with clear orange as well. Used some white glue to attach the mesh from the back side of the openings.

Life lesson time:



This kit came with a couple different types of heads lights and was kinda liked the projector ones and i wanted to give them a hint a blue in the bulb area. There was some little holes on the backside and i figure if I fill them with some clear blue it would look good. I used some Tamiya paint and wanted to thin it to flow better into the holes and I used some lacquer thinner as it was sitting on the desk and I use it all the time as I usually use lacquer paints. As you see from the above pic it ate the plastic and gave it a cloudy look and was ruined Oh well at least there was another part I could use. So lessened learned, don't mix paint types.







All done! Couple of last things were that the inside of the windows were framed off and painted black around the edges. The wheels were painted black and cleared and the hubs painted silver. A couple decals were applied on the windows.

The stance looks good on this one. I'm really please how this one turned out.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 PM
da_ashman's Avatar
da_ashman da_ashman is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,761
Thanks: 51
Thanked 136 Times in 134 Posts
Re: Rasty PS13 Silvia

Looks great, Nice work!
__________________

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts