-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Joe Bltsphlk Joe Bltsphlk is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exhaust gasket keeps failing

1999 suburban, 5.7, 140K miles. The exhaust gasket between the cats and the muffler (Y-pipe connection to intermediate pipe) keeps failing. I have tried various brands, from Dynomax to Walker. It is part #31575 and has the two holes.

History: The first time I replaced the gasket, I twisted off the studs so I replaced them with SS bolts and use never-seize to make it easy to remove next time.

The cats were replaced a year ago with a new Walker 50410 because the passenger side pipe near the manifold kept cracking and weld repaired, but eventually split open all the way to the O2 sensor 1.

A shop advised me to try using some Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer on the new gasket. I tried this and it still failed after a few months.

In my latest attempt, I stacked two gaskets and liberally applied the Permatex on all sides of both gaskets. This has survived for 6 months, but is now leaking again.

What are your suggestions? I'm starting to wonder if I have a restriction in the muffler that's causing a higher than normal pressure inside the exhaust system.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Exhaust gasket keeps failing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bltsphlk View Post
1999 suburban, 5.7, 140K miles. The exhaust gasket between the cats and the muffler (Y-pipe connection to intermediate pipe) keeps failing. I have tried various brands, from Dynomax to Walker. It is part #31575 and has the two holes.

History: The first time I replaced the gasket, I twisted off the studs so I replaced them with SS bolts and use never-seize to make it easy to remove next time.

The cats were replaced a year ago with a new Walker 50410 because the passenger side pipe near the manifold kept cracking and weld repaired, but eventually split open all the way to the O2 sensor 1.

A shop advised me to try using some Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer on the new gasket. I tried this and it still failed after a few months.

In my latest attempt, I stacked two gaskets and liberally applied the Permatex on all sides of both gaskets. This has survived for 6 months, but is now leaking again.

What are your suggestions? I'm starting to wonder if I have a restriction in the muffler that's causing a higher than normal pressure inside the exhaust system.
I would use a pipe frame support at the y pipe connection. with pipe movements this will happen .then you get into bad engine/tranny mounts or even bad exhaust hangers on the rear . I would not use any anti seize on the SS bolts/nuts they will loosen. I would also use a double nut to lock these in place so they will not loosen. or use a self locking SS nut .
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts