-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Some_Kid's Avatar
Some_Kid Some_Kid is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 509
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

I was just wondering if Hiroboy is finally able to send paints to the US again? There seem to be a long standing issue that kept a lot of people from getting their hands on zero paints. I was just wondering if it was finally resolved?

I had to go through spotmodel last time to get a custom mixed zero paint.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM
eternazr4's Avatar
eternazr4 eternazr4 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 35
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Same here, but waiting for word on shipping to New Zealand.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM
stevenoble's Avatar
stevenoble stevenoble is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,199
Thanks: 8
Thanked 111 Times in 107 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Quote from Hiroboy's website,

"Worldwide Customers : Sorry, with UPS shipping costs starting at 100GBP for Hazardous shipping and being limited to only a few worldwide countries, we have opted not to offer this service"
__________________
Steve Noble
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM
da_ashman's Avatar
da_ashman da_ashman is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,761
Thanks: 51
Thanked 136 Times in 134 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternazr4 View Post
Same here, but waiting for word on shipping to New Zealand.
I got some a few months back from Spotmodel.com even some custom mixxed ones! But it does take longer (mine took almost 2 months but I did order a couple of weeks before their summer holidays)
__________________

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 AM
bradfordian bradfordian is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 239
Thanks: 14
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Cant you ask someone in uk to buy it and reship it for you.although I have had the post office ask me what was in the box, it was just models,its a case of keeping stum and making sure the lids are sealed good.but I can tell you that the paint was £5 a bottle last time I bought which to me is absolutely brill and postage was £6.50 as i had to choose a courier.

Sending by royalmail to usa or farther countries I am not sure the price, a few bottles I would think in ball park of £12-15?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 PM
stevenoble's Avatar
stevenoble stevenoble is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,199
Thanks: 8
Thanked 111 Times in 107 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordian View Post
Cant you ask someone in uk to buy it and reship it for you.?
If it's the same as at my local Post Office they now make you fill out and sign a declaration that it contains no hazardous items. I don't know what, if anything, they can do to you if you make a false declaration..?? But I know if they check the package and find any banned items they can and will confiscate/destroy them..
__________________
Steve Noble
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 PM
nascar49's Avatar
nascar49 nascar49 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 643
Thanks: 11
Thanked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nascar49 Send a message via Yahoo to nascar49
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
If it's the same as at my local Post Office they now make you fill out and sign a declaration that it contains no hazardous items. I don't know what, if anything, they can do to you if you make a false declaration..?? But I know if they check the package and find any banned items they can and will confiscate/destroy them..
I know if you do that here in the USA, its a big no no, and its not a good idea to lie about it, more so if you are trying to send hazardous materials , if any thing happens, the sender is going to be in a lot of trouble

I would not try it, its not worth the risk , at the least, it will just be sent back to the sender

Not to mention lying on Custom's forms, yeah, you really dont want to mess with lying to customs
__________________
Pheedens Garage on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4j...J8vUP1ZaHP32ig
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 PM
andybmw7272 andybmw7272 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 740
Thanks: 41
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

I have had a lot of success with Jameston over at Scale Finishes for US delivery.

Maybe give that a try?
His paints are definitely a bargain and spray very well.

Hope this helps!
Andy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Hemi Killer Hemi Killer is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 610
Thanks: 108
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

I have switched from Zero to Scale Finishes because of the shipping issues. Scale Finishes paints are just as good, IMO. They have basecoats and gloss enamels, reducers, primers, sealers, etc. His colors are broken down into categories, including all OEM colors dating back almost 100 years. He also carries some HOK paints as well. He has been very helpful and accommodating, I would highly recommend giving them a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-18-2013, 01:25 AM
nascar49's Avatar
nascar49 nascar49 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 643
Thanks: 11
Thanked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nascar49 Send a message via Yahoo to nascar49
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
I have switched from Zero to Scale Finishes because of the shipping issues. Scale Finishes paints are just as good, IMO. They have basecoats and gloss enamels, reducers, primers, sealers, etc. His colors are broken down into categories, including all OEM colors dating back almost 100 years. He also carries some HOK paints as well. He has been very helpful and accommodating, I would highly recommend giving them a shot.
I agree 100% , Jameston is a great guy to deal with, I am not happy to see that he is making some changes, and his price's are going up , but his paint is still worth it
__________________
Pheedens Garage on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4j...J8vUP1ZaHP32ig
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Some_Kid's Avatar
Some_Kid Some_Kid is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 509
Thanks: 12
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Scale finishes are enamel paints though right? How is the drying time compared to lacquers?

The only enamels I've had experience with are testors and those have mixed results to say the least.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 AM
stevenoble's Avatar
stevenoble stevenoble is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,199
Thanks: 8
Thanked 111 Times in 107 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

I'm surprised that Steve at Hiroboy doesn't allow someone in the US to mix and distribute the Zero paints for him. It would solve the problem of shipping from the UK if the paints were mixed and sent out from the US. I'm sure the US is a big market for the paints. If sending from the UK is not an option, surely thats a viable alternative instead of totally losing out to what is a big market..
__________________
Steve Noble
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 AM
Kaj45rpm Kaj45rpm is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 306
Thanks: 6
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

For the guys in the US, if you know the paint code, I'm sure your local automotive paint supplier can mix up some and then suitably thin it down for airbrush use.

I did this for a green paint I needed for Auriol's Panache Sierra. It was around £8 for a small jar but would have done several models. I simply picked the best shade I could from their colour chips and the result was excellent. 2K clear is automotive laquer also.

I agree that Zero paints are good value for money and I've bought several jars but this is not so much of a option for you guys. (so the UK is good for something! LoL)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM
hirofkd's Avatar
hirofkd hirofkd is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,828
Thanks: 17
Thanked 163 Times in 79 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Kid View Post
Scale finishes are enamel paints though right? How is the drying time compared to lacquers?

The only enamels I've had experience with are testors and those have mixed results to say the least.
Confusing part is that they sell several types of paints, but type of paint is clearly stated. Some colors are available in more than one type.

Ferrari colors are designated as basecoat and requires clear, and I believe it's automotive lacquer because it crazed a plastic spoon when I tested it. Drying time is very fast.

Many American subjects appear to be Gloss Enamel, which doesn't require clear coat. I haven't tested any, so I don't know how long it'd take.
__________________
Hiroaki Fukuda
Sports and Race Car Modeling Page

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 AM
BVC500 BVC500 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,383
Thanks: 129
Thanked 102 Times in 95 Posts
Re: Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Scale finishes try pretty fast. I've had great results, and Jameson is a pleasure to deal with. Its a perfectly suitable alternative to Zero. Frankly, I don't think Zero is the best option give that shipping was as expensive as the paints.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts