-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:47 PM
luvmy02impala luvmy02impala is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 102
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
possible new engine time...

I have a 06 Impala with a 3.5L V6. I was just told that the head gasket on the firewall side is leaking and time to replace. The engine has 136k miles on it. The job was approx $2800.

The body and interior are in excellent condition. I figured for a few hundred/maybe $1k I could get a new engine. I figured that instead of just doing the top end, the whole thing should be done.

Should I replace the tranny as well? It seems that if it were to go it would be expensive to replace because the new engine would have to come out any way. Costs are not an issues at the moment, and I am considering the engine/tranny combo for replacement.

Anyone ever use Jasper engines for engine replacement? Since it is has a 3.5L would it be an easy upgrade to go to a 3.9L? I love the car and the fact I do not have a car payment, so the engine swap seems reasonable.

Thanks in advance for all answers...
__________________
-Tom

06 Impala LT
12 Cruze Eco
02 Impala (sadly - it burned up)
90 Dodge Dakota (donated)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,071
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

2800 for a head gasket job!!, the book time is about 14 hours tops, how did they arrive at that number. I would get a second estimate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxwedge For This Useful Post:
luvmy02impala (03-25-2013)
  #3  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
gmtech1's Avatar
gmtech1 gmtech1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,001
Thanks: 4
Thanked 303 Times in 301 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Agree with Max...Alldata time is just under 10hrs to do both headgaskets. If their rate is 100.00hrs that 1000.00 + tax and parts. Get another estimate.

Last edited by gmtech1; 03-28-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added the "+"
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmtech1 For This Useful Post:
luvmy02impala (03-25-2013)
  #4  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM
luvmy02impala luvmy02impala is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 102
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Thanks, the car is set to go in Saturday to a local shop. I will post what was found as I tell him to look for the source of the leak.

As for replacement engines, what are your thoughts on Jasper engines?

Thanks.
__________________
-Tom

06 Impala LT
12 Cruze Eco
02 Impala (sadly - it burned up)
90 Dodge Dakota (donated)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Tech II Tech II is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,017
Thanks: 70
Thanked 618 Times in 610 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Just make sure it's the head gasket and not the gasket on the head for the coolant crossover pipe.....

Yeah, that quoted price does seem high....online estimate of $1610-$2207........
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM
luvmy02impala luvmy02impala is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 102
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Is there a difference in labor for that crossover part?
__________________
-Tom

06 Impala LT
12 Cruze Eco
02 Impala (sadly - it burned up)
90 Dodge Dakota (donated)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM
gmtech1's Avatar
gmtech1 gmtech1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,001
Thanks: 4
Thanked 303 Times in 301 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy02impala View Post
Is there a difference in labor for that crossover part?

The crossover would be a MUCH cheaper repair...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
luvmy02impala luvmy02impala is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 102
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Hello,

My shop showed me the trouble. It is the head gasket, the block is wet from under the manifold on the one side and wet spots on the front side. His quote was along with the dealer at $2800. I made no mention of the previous quote or trouble from the dealer. He would replace the head gaskets and have the heads rebuilt, flush cooling system, replace the water pump, clean throttle body, clean fuel injectors. It is booked at 18 hours.

On the other hand a Jasper engine would be $3500 plus $1100 installed. So it comes down to $3000 vs $5500. Jasper has a 3yr/100k warranty on it, any trouble the engine is replaced.

Have to think about this. The car body is in excellent shape and a very clean interior. My mechanic went over the car and found no issues other than need new struts to worry about.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread.
__________________
-Tom

06 Impala LT
12 Cruze Eco
02 Impala (sadly - it burned up)
90 Dodge Dakota (donated)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
la1's Avatar
la1 la1 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 238
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

I would get the head gasket replaced , that's just me though. I don't know about the 06' but the 00 - 05' could pull the rocker arm stud out now and then, so have them look over the valve train. What gasket manufacturer are they going to use? How long will they guarantee the work ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM
luvmy02impala luvmy02impala is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 102
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Warranty is 12k miles/12 months. Do not know the gasket manufacturer...

Still thinking about replacing the entire engine...
__________________
-Tom

06 Impala LT
12 Cruze Eco
02 Impala (sadly - it burned up)
90 Dodge Dakota (donated)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
la1's Avatar
la1 la1 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 238
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Fast forward 3 months.....SO what did you do and how did it turn out.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM
luvmy02impala luvmy02impala is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 102
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

I am still driving it, it is not leaking that bad at this time. So I am trying to hold off until I have to replace it. $ is tight, especially for that $3k on an older car.

If I get it fixed I will post here.

Also thinking about getting new Impala (2014).
__________________
-Tom

06 Impala LT
12 Cruze Eco
02 Impala (sadly - it burned up)
90 Dodge Dakota (donated)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM
SierraK1500's Avatar
SierraK1500 SierraK1500 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 225
Thanks: 32
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

The 2014's are all new design. Very expensive and I would wait a year for all the bugs to be ironed out. I just bought a 2012 with 19K on it at a great price. Consider a 12 or 13
__________________
Happiness is driving a Chevrolet!

Last edited by SierraK1500; 08-27-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: mileage wrong
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 PM
luvmy02impala luvmy02impala is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 102
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Update. The car was traded so I will no longer update this thread. Happy Motoring!
__________________
-Tom

06 Impala LT
12 Cruze Eco
02 Impala (sadly - it burned up)
90 Dodge Dakota (donated)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 AM
la1's Avatar
la1 la1 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 238
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: possible new engine time...

Quote:
The 2014's are all new design.
I myself don't like the way the 2014 Impala's look, maybe after awhile. It may not just be me. I went to the dealership the other day and I forgot what they call them its not retro, something like that. They had 3 2014 Impala's that looked just like the 2012 model year.

as far as the head gasket they have that liquid head gasket repair, they have that guy on you tube scotty kilmer who makes all those auto repair videos, one he uses the liquid head gasket reair and he said it worked
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts