-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 PM
1999montana's Avatar
1999montana 1999montana is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 523
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile New Aftermarket Headlights

I bought a set of new headlights from Rock Auto for the van.

Front end looks like new again. Cost $54 for the pair plus shipping.

They even came with new halogen bulbs in them! Not bad actually.

Finally had to do something.

I had buffed the lens on both a number of times and got them almost clear, but the left one had a crack at the top and there was no way to seal it.
__________________
If I had my way, every GM car I ever owned would be a Chrysler!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
woscarr woscarr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 165
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New Aftermarket Headlights

Ya I did the same thing cost me about 65 Canadian with free shipping from Primechoice Auto parts.

I added a 55w 6k HID system, high/low beam and fogs on my 02 Silhouette GLS..

Talk about wicked headlights now !!

Now I want to change the tail lights to LED..


Cheers!
Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 AM
1999montana's Avatar
1999montana 1999montana is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 523
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: New Aftermarket Headlights

New issue. I think I may have stripped the adjuster screw cams in the new ones. The headlights seem aligned OK (at least the way I want them) but I noticed that the screws in the cams just spin now and the units do not tilt up or down, or in and out.

The new units are identical to the old, BUT the adjusters are not as good and are a bit flimsier. I'm going to strip the adjusters from the OEM's (they are much beefier) and clean them up and install on the new units. Easier than trying to return the whole unit for new ones.
__________________
If I had my way, every GM car I ever owned would be a Chrysler!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM
woscarr woscarr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 165
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New Aftermarket Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by woscarr View Post
Ya I did the same thing cost me about 65 Canadian with free shipping from Primechoice Auto parts.

I added a 55w 6k HID system, high/low beam and fogs on my 02 Silhouette GLS..

Talk about wicked headlights now !!

Now I want to change the tail lights to LED..


Cheers!
Wayne.
Well the LED tail lights was a bust... Bought 50 bucks worth later and my van don't like them one bit. It all started good.. started plugging them in but by the time I got the 3rd or 4th one things started getting weird. First thing was the orange signal lights were staying all the time, they worked ok but just stayed on and blinked brighter, then I noticed the brake lights were on all the time.. So I gave up ! Will use the lights for my snow blowers and lawn tractors or something.

I did some research and you add some resistors to emulate the old type bulbs, but apparently these resistors will get really hot and besides most of the reason I was doing this was to try and lighten the electrical load on the system..

So do all this so your lights have a little quicker on/off response.. !

I'll pass for now.. !

Cheers.
Wayne.

Last edited by woscarr; 03-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
1999montana's Avatar
1999montana 1999montana is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 523
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: New Aftermarket Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999montana View Post
New issue. I think I may have stripped the adjuster screw cams in the new ones. The headlights seem aligned OK (at least the way I want them) but I noticed that the screws in the cams just spin now and the units do not tilt up or down, or in and out.

The new units are identical to the old, BUT the adjusters are not as good and are a bit flimsier. I'm going to strip the adjusters from the OEM's (they are much beefier) and clean them up and install on the new units. Easier than trying to return the whole unit for new ones.
After looking them both over, the easiest way to swap the adjusters out is to swap the entire assembly and use the new head lights with the old headlight assembly. One nut, and 4 screws later and you are done. Warmer weather job though.
__________________
If I had my way, every GM car I ever owned would be a Chrysler!!!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts