-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM
dylanborns dylanborns is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 107
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Hot" smell and light smoke...

'01 V6 122k miles. I've been having an issue that past few weeks with a "hot" smell after driving that kind of smells like burning rubber. Its noticeable around the hood, but not in the cabin. Today, when I pulled in the garage, I noticed a really faint, light smoke coming from the grille. I opened the hood, but couldn't trace the smoke back to anywhere because it was so light, and once the hood opened it dissipated. I felt all hoses and wires and nothing feels hot that shouldn't. My coolant is fresh, full, and the temp gauge never goes high. I don't think it has anything to do with overheating, but I'm not sure.
The only changes I've made lately are the two rear bank O2 sensors, and new plugs and coils. I don't think I had this smell/ smoke before I did any of that.
I don't see any hoses or wires that are coming into contact with the rubber belt on the front of the motor.
I know its hard to diagnose with this small amount of info, but does anyone have an idea of what I could look for?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM
65comet's Avatar
65comet 65comet is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 890
Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 72 Posts
Re: "Hot" smell and light smoke...

Contact your Ford dealer and have the VIN ready. There are a couple of fire related recalls that you might not have gotten a notice about. They will tell you if they apply to your vehicle and if history shows those problems were already fixed.
After that and they say the recall doesn't apply, I'm going to ask if it happens when the headlights are on? The bulb connectors are famous for coming loose, especially the top middle wire, shorting and melting the plastic and the connector.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM
dylanborns dylanborns is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 107
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "Hot" smell and light smoke...

I know about the recalls you are talking about and they've been done on this vehicle. This happens anytime I'm driving whether the lights are on or not. And it is a hot rubber smell compared to an electrical smell.
I thought about getting a digital thermometer but I don't know if that would tell me anything. Could the belt be an issue or maybe something the belt is turning that is frozen? I would think I would have squealing if that was the case.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM
65comet's Avatar
65comet 65comet is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 890
Thanks: 7
Thanked 74 Times in 72 Posts
Re: "Hot" smell and light smoke...

There is a anti-freeze hose that is pretty close to the front exhaust manifold. You can't see it from the top. It is really a rubber elbow between two metal tubes. From underneath it is about 6 to 8 inches from the center line toward the drivers side, very close to the engine, and I'd say about 8 inches up from the bottom line of the radiator.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
dylanborns dylanborns is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 107
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "Hot" smell and light smoke...

I'll take a look at that today, thanks!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts