-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Escort
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
electro452 electro452 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 64
Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
1996 Escort Transmission Fluid Level

I have a 1996 Ford Escort with a 1.9 liter engine. I was checking my automatic transmission fluid and the dip stick shows 20 C and 65 C on the dipstick. How do I know if my fluid level is correct? Where should the mark be on level surface, in park with engine running/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: 1996 Escort Transmission Fluid Level

If the engine is running and the trans is cold then the 20C mark is correct. If the trans is hot, been driving for some time then the 65C mark is correct. The level should be at the mark or slightly above. If you add fluid just don't overfill.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM
electro452 electro452 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 64
Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1996 Escort Transmission Fluid Level

I filled as suggested and now I'm experiencing a issue when the car is cold it drops out of drive. The tranny level seems fine.

When I first start up the car It will go into drive but if I stop at a stop sign, or stop the car for any reason in the first few minutes of driving, it goes out of drive and won't do anything. If I let it sit and idle for 10 minutes or so it goes back into gear and runs great. This mainly happens when it's cold and has been sitting overnight.

Any suggestions? It's a automatic and shifts fine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 AM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: 1996 Escort Transmission Fluid Level

It is possible that the filter needs to be changed. When a filter starts to clog up it doesn't allow enough fluid to enter the pump and the transmission will not perform properly. Also, did you re-check the fluid level to make sure it is proper. Even a slight leak can cause you to lose enough fluid to make a difference in trans performance.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 AM
electro452 electro452 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 64
Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1996 Escort Transmission Fluid Level

I replaced the filter when I serviced the tranny.

When the car is warm the fluid level is up to 65 C on the dipstick which is the top level. It just acts like it's low on fluid though the way it's reacting.

Should I go a little above the 65C when hot?

I was thinking it maybe wise to take it in and get a power flush to get all the old tranny fluid out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: 1996 Escort Transmission Fluid Level

Overfilling the transmission is worse than it not being completely full. I would take it to a transmission shop and have them diagnose the problem for you. Most shops will diagnose them for free. Before you do that purchase a can of Sea Foam transmission additive and put in the transmission. If you have a sticking valve body or a dirty pump it will clean them out. Don't worry if the sea foam causes the transmission to be a little overfull because it mixes with the fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM
zzyzzx2 zzyzzx2 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: 1996 Escort Transmission Fluid Level

I would do the TSB pump fix:

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name...wtopic&t=61690
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission fluid level David John S-10 4 04-11-2005 06:16 PM
How do you check the transmission fluid level and what kind of fluid does it take? BurlyBob Metro 5 02-01-2005 11:39 AM
automatic transmission fluid level 4-banger Prelude 1 09-24-2004 02:45 PM
Transmission Fluid level Question Interceptor97 Crown Victoria 1 09-22-2004 08:34 AM
transmission fluid level swade Cavalier 1 07-02-2004 11:45 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Escort


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts