-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM
autoq autoq is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does the Faulty A/F sensor 1 mean?

97 Honda Accord LX 4 cyl. auto engine light is on. I have it scanned by the AutoZone. The Troubleshooting is PO135. The Definition is sensor 1 heater system malfunction. Problem cause 1.- Open or short circuit condition; 2.- Poor Electrical Connection and 3.- Faulty A/F sensor 1.

What is the A/F sensor 1? Does it mean front, back or both sensors? Can you explain it? Thank you.

Last edited by autoq; 05-27-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
somick's Avatar
somick somick is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,595
Thanks: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: What does the Faulty A/F sensor 1 mean?

I am pretty sure this is your oxygen sensor.

I believe there is testing procedure for it. May be in Haynes manual.

You may also check www.tegger.com. There is a lot of information there.

Goog luck,
Sam
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP
Please post back when you fix it so we all will learn something

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
autoq autoq is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What does the Faulty A/F sensor 1 mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somick View Post
I am pretty sure this is your oxygen sensor.

I believe there is testing procedure for it. May be in Haynes manual.

You may also check www.tegger.com. There is a lot of information there.

Goog luck,
Sam
If A/F sensors 1 mean oxygen sensor, can you or anyone tell it is the front or back sensor?

Last edited by autoq; 06-01-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Modify
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
jeffcoslacker's Avatar
jeffcoslacker jeffcoslacker is offline
Lactose the Intolerant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,410
Thanks: 4
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Re: What does the Faulty A/F sensor 1 mean?

Sensor 1 is the pre-cat o2 sensor, the fault is saying the preheat grid for it is reading as open circuit. This will prevent the sensor from working right until the motor is pretty warmed up. But all it should affect is cold-start emissions. I doubt it would change how it runs. You probably need to replace that sensor, or make sure it's wiring isn't laying on something hot and burned up or something.

I'm not sure how a faulty airflow sensor might figure into it, I'd check/test the o2 sensor first. If you can find a reference that tells which wire is which, I'd start by checking for continuity across the heater grid leads. If it reads infinite, the element is likely shot.
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made...

...empty gun rack.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 PM
autoq autoq is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What does the Faulty A/F sensor 1 mean?

Do you know where is the Sensor 1, the pre-cat o2 sensor? I was told there are two oxygen sensors on the 97 Honda Accord LX. One is in front which is easy to be replaced while another is in back and the car must be lifted for the replacement of the back oxygen sensor. I do not know the A/F sensor is the front or back oxygen sensor. Does anyone know it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
jgr7 jgr7 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What does the Faulty A/F sensor 1 mean?

I have a PO141 which is bank 1 sensor 2. This is the sensor after the cat I was told so I would say bank 1 sensor 1 is the one before the cat. Do a google search of your code and you should be able to find more info. Also it is recommended to use Honda sensors instead of after market as there seems to be a lot of return problems with the quality control of after market parts leading to another replacement of same part. The O2 sensor for my 96 Accord V6 is $300 out the door. I have mine sitting on the counter right now and will be changing it this weekend when I change the oil then going for a smog inspection.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM
jeffcoslacker's Avatar
jeffcoslacker jeffcoslacker is offline
Lactose the Intolerant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,410
Thanks: 4
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Re: What does the Faulty A/F sensor 1 mean?

Sensor 1 is always the pre cat o2 sensor. This is NOT the AF sensor, that is on the intake side of the motor, tells it volume of air being delivered to it.

That's why I said I don't think that code is correct...it may be just throwing that out there as a possibility, in case the AF is sucking air or something, that would make the PCM's mixture calculation wrong, which would cause abnormal conditions in the exhaust coming out of the motor, and that could set a code for the pre cat o2 sensor, if it believed the reading was not legit...but the o2 sensor code you have is for a malfunction in the heating grid circuit, not it's actual exhaust reading...so I think the two are not related...you might just be dealing with an old code that is a red herring too...might be meaningless. Did AZ turn the light out and these codes came back, or not?
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made...

...empty gun rack.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does the "S" mean in Cutlass Cierra S KingDiamond Cutlass Series 9 05-10-2005 07:59 PM
my check digit for my car is 4, what does the check digit mean? Thumprkils Camaro Discussions 3 12-24-2004 03:36 PM
What does the Infiniti symbol mean? Koojo General 21 06-19-2001 05:45 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts