-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-10-2005, 07:52 PM
willcodeforfoo willcodeforfoo is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Driver's Side Window Won't Go Up

In a bit of a bind here. 1995 Sunfire, 2 dr. My power window on the driver's side is about 3/4 the way down and it won't go back up! If I push the switch down it'll go down more, but not up. Doesnt sound like the motor is engaging. The passenger side works fine both directions.

Thanks,
Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-15-2005, 10:54 PM
oneroundko's Avatar
oneroundko oneroundko is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 155
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Driver's Side Window Won't Go Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcodeforfoo
In a bit of a bind here. 1995 Sunfire, 2 dr. My power window on the driver's side is about 3/4 the way down and it won't go back up! If I push the switch down it'll go down more, but not up. Doesnt sound like the motor is engaging. The passenger side works fine both directions.

Thanks,
Kevin

hmmm, I ride a 96 z-24 cavalier and my drivers side window (power of course) has been on the fritz too. I can get it down, but by the time it gets to the bottom it slows down, stops, than wont budge for a minute or so. Same with it going back up. Eventually After waiting awhile I can get it to back up(or down) after doing that ^ a couple times. Passenger side works perfectly fine too (like you). This has just started happeneing to me within the last month or so, so I havent pinpointed it ( or diagnostic) yet. If someone can give some pointers, that'd be great.


BTW, my alternator and battery need diagnostics too (might not be getting enough juice)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2005, 10:44 AM
cdru's Avatar
cdru cdru is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Driver's Side Window Won't Go Up

I had a similar problem (as have others). I wrote about it in this thread. I won't repeat everything, but a new battery fixed it for me.

To get my window up while I was troubleshooting it, I just jumpered the passenger motor connector over to the driver's motor (unplug the driver's motor). You should also be able to jumper at the window switch unplugged. For my car, IIRC, it was brown to brown and black to dark blue. Don't quote me on that though and your colors may be different.
__________________
Vinyl adds horsepower, right?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2005, 06:58 PM
oneroundko's Avatar
oneroundko oneroundko is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 155
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Driver's Side Window Won't Go Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru
I had a similar problem (as have others). I wrote about it in this thread. I won't repeat everything, but a new battery fixed it for me.

To get my window up while I was troubleshooting it, I just jumpered the passenger motor connector over to the driver's motor (unplug the driver's motor). You should also be able to jumper at the window switch unplugged. For my car, IIRC, it was brown to brown and black to dark blue. Don't quote me on that though and your colors may be different.

yeah, I think Im gonna get a new battery before the harsh Minnesota winter shortly, and I think your right, that should fix (my problem at least).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2005, 09:28 AM
troubld troubld is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Driver's Side Window Won't Go Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneroundko
yeah, I think Im gonna get a new battery before the harsh Minnesota winter shortly, and I think your right, that should fix (my problem at least).
I'm new at this so be patient. I recently had this problem with my Venture van and had to replace the window switch. It just unplugs and I found one at an auto junk yard.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Tina K1 Tina K1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Driver's Side Window Won't Go Up

I replaced my car battery with a brand new AC Delco 6 year battery, but I'm still having the same problem with my driver's side window. It's not the car battery.

Any other suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
oneroundko's Avatar
oneroundko oneroundko is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 155
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Driver's Side Window Won't Go Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina K1 View Post
I replaced my car battery with a brand new AC Delco 6 year battery, but I'm still having the same problem with my driver's side window. It's not the car battery.

Any other suggestions.
I'm surprised about the bump of this old thread, it's been so long, but I did find out what the problem was. My father in law and I found it was the entire power window motor inside the door panel. Replaced it and it runs like new now. Supposedly these are notorious for getting old/going bad.

There are rivets you have to drill out to get it out. It's kind of a big project maybe even a "two-man" job. Get it out and possibly have it tested. We just happened to have a GM one sitting in his garage (I think the model of the motor is "universal") and we threw it in and that was the end of it.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts