-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 03-27-2006, 06:26 PM
XPC2004's Avatar
XPC2004 XPC2004 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to XPC2004 Send a message via Yahoo to XPC2004
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

I'm looking at replacing my steering baecause of too much play, just to make sure I understand completely (I've read the thread a few times)

I have a 95 Blazer 4x4 (vin W)
I need...
Grand Cherokee intermediate shaft
Trusty Dremel with Grinding tool
Trusty measuring doo-hickey(measure many times, cut once, I do that anyways... )

I follow from the thread that the intermediate shaft will fit on the steering box without mods, and I just need to shave off up to 5 1/4 inches off the stem , measure always, might be a little different due to your 2' raise.
Dremel the arc to fit the shaft properly (I have a micrometer too)

And that's basically it... there was mention of a Steerign box adjustment.. do I need to do this with a 95 Blazer 4x4 using the Grand Cherokee intermediate shaft?

Many thanks for this cool mod, looking forward to executing this this coming weekend.

~Xpc
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 AM
rlith's Avatar
rlith rlith is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPC2004
I'm looking at replacing my steering baecause of too much play, just to make sure I understand completely (I've read the thread a few times)

I have a 95 Blazer 4x4 (vin W)
I need...
Grand Cherokee intermediate shaft
Trusty Dremel with Grinding tool
Trusty measuring doo-hickey(measure many times, cut once, I do that anyways... )

I follow from the thread that the intermediate shaft will fit on the steering box without mods, and I just need to shave off up to 5 1/4 inches off the stem , measure always, might be a little different due to your 2' raise.
Dremel the arc to fit the shaft properly (I have a micrometer too)

And that's basically it... there was mention of a Steerign box adjustment.. do I need to do this with a 95 Blazer 4x4 using the Grand Cherokee intermediate shaft?

Many thanks for this cool mod, looking forward to executing this this coming weekend.

~Xpc
You've pretty much got it... No steering box alighnment needed though (though steering wheel alignment may need to be done if it's off, shouldn't be though)

Remember get around 96-99 intermediate shaft..
__________________


95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:28 PM
muzzy1maniac's Avatar
muzzy1maniac muzzy1maniac is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 738
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Rilth- what type of fastener is one the Jeep shaft?? I have a line on one and plan on getting it Monday. I don't feel like dragging extra tools around.

Also, has anyone else done this with sucess? Or without?
__________________
2004 Explorer XLT
4.0L 4x4

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L


Anyone who said There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question never worked in a grocery store!

Come visit me on www.faceforums.com
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
rlith's Avatar
rlith rlith is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy1maniac
Rilth- what type of fastener is one the Jeep shaft?? I have a line on one and plan on getting it Monday. I don't feel like dragging extra tools around.

Also, has anyone else done this with sucess? Or without?
It just uses a 11mm cross bolt to hold on, same as the blazer
__________________


95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
muzzy1maniac's Avatar
muzzy1maniac muzzy1maniac is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 738
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Rilth, went to a bone yard today to look at a 97 Grand Cherokee but the shaft looked diff than the one in your pic. The one in your pic looks more like the one I saw in a 95. I wonder if they changed them for the 97's then back in 98. I'll have to look some more. They're hard to come by and the one you got is in awesome condition!
__________________
2004 Explorer XLT
4.0L 4x4

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L


Anyone who said There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question never worked in a grocery store!

Come visit me on www.faceforums.com
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
rlith's Avatar
rlith rlith is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy1maniac
Rilth, went to a bone yard today to look at a 97 Grand Cherokee but the shaft looked diff than the one in your pic. The one in your pic looks more like the one I saw in a 95. I wonder if they changed them for the 97's then back in 98. I'll have to look some more. They're hard to come by and the one you got is in awesome condition!
Yeah, I think the overall change happened in 98
__________________


95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM
DRGREENTHUMB1001 DRGREENTHUMB1001 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 50
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Very interesitng thread, I used to own a Jeep Wrangler, I've forgotten hwo tight and responsive the steering used to be, cuz I'm used to all teh slop I get now
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Afteraffekt Afteraffekt is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

My Cheve Blazer S10 4WD 6cyl has about 6 inches of play in the steering wheel in either direction, and is a pain to keep straight on the road. (alone with having the wheel turned about 20 degrees to the left to go straight) If I understand this resolves that problem completely, and quite simply I might add. WIll this work with my vehicle? With that same Wrangler column you used?


If so, or if not, can anybody inform me if its the rag joint causing this, and what ALl i can do to resolve the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 AM
viggy58 viggy58 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 247
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

what year?
__________________
2001 Chevy Blazer
4.3L 5 speed manual
Alpine deck, Type R 12in. sub.
145k miles

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
2.2L automatic trans
146k miles
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Afteraffekt Afteraffekt is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggy58 View Post
what year?
Oh wow I feel so stupid, 1995 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4wd 4dr 6cyl Vortec
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts