-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
BMW 5-Series (replica)

I got the order from a friend to build his friend's BMW 5 Series.

Here's the real car:







And here's the Fujimi kit I received from him.







And for the wheels I got the brilliant idea to use the Corvette Zr1 wheels. They look quite close to the real ones.







And for the color I chosed Mugello Blue Pearl from Audi R8.



Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
rallymaster's Avatar
rallymaster rallymaster is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,959
Thanks: 15
Thanked 148 Times in 147 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Wow, promissing start, and well seen for the wheels choice !
__________________
Phil

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
endac's Avatar
endac endac is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 744
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Looks good so far. The wheels look really close to originals. Are you planning to scratch build a hitch for the car like the real one?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endac View Post
Looks good so far. The wheels look really close to originals. Are you planning to scratch build a hitch for the car like the real one?
No, the owner didn't want it on the model cause it will be removed on the real car as soon as possible .

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
360spider's Avatar
360spider 360spider is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,262
Thanks: 38
Thanked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Rims on the original are E39 M5 rims. They are unique in their design and no other rims are even close to that. I'm sorry, but I disagree that the rims you have chosen are close - they are not. But....I realize that there are no rims like that exist - maybe try to find a cheap E39 M5 diecast?
__________________
The client is not always right. - Enzo Ferrari
ItalianHorses.net
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2011, 11:40 PM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
Rims on the original are E39 M5 rims. They are unique in their design and no other rims are even close to that. I'm sorry, but I disagree that the rims you have chosen are close - they are not. But....I realize that there are no rims like that exist - maybe try to find a cheap E39 M5 diecast?
Well there are not 1/24 cars with those wheels. At least I didn't found anything, and the owner of the real car also did searched for it.

The Corvette wheels are fine for him, so i'll stick to them. If it was a model for myself I really searched for nicer rims But since this model is not for my, I have to listen to the owner's orders.

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 AM
lovegt40's Avatar
lovegt40 lovegt40 is offline
ItaloSvensk
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,383
Thanks: 1,077
Thanked 296 Times in 270 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

wow, so happy to see there is people outside italy and germany still loving so much the real bmw (e34 and e36).
Think the rims on the originals are replica of the m5e39 (original bmw are 18, these in pics are 17).

Cool car btw!
__________________
Paolo - LoveGT40 Modelworks

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
corvettekid_7684 corvettekid_7684 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,015
Thanks: 31
Thanked 57 Times in 55 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Looking good so far!! IMO, the wheels look like a nice match. May not be 100% perfect, but if it were mine, they would do just fine
My cousin has been asking me to scale build his BMW as well, so I will be watching this build too
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 PM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

I started paint the chassis. It's very simple, and I'll keep it like that. I will only do some wheatering once it's completed.



Then further with the body. I used some putty to fill up the dents. I also scribed out the panellines to make them deeper.
Then it was time for primer.



Today I painted it Mugello Blue by Audi.









I also painted the wheels. I used Gunze metalizer Chrome Silver for it. The left wheel is before polishing and the right wheel is after polishing.







Now I can go further with the interior. The body also need some gun metal paint on the lower section of the car.

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM
ratrod48's Avatar
ratrod48 ratrod48 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 29
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Nice job man...!!!, and the headlight eyebrows ?


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod48 View Post
Nice job man...!!!, and the headlight eyebrows ?


Not gonna make them. I tried different ways to make them, but they always are to thick or to thin to paint. And btw he want to remove them from the real car, so easier for me

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Another update (Yes I'm slow this time.... )

I addes some BMF on the sidewindow trims. After this I masked off the whole body and front and rear bumper to paint the metallic grey on the skirts etc.

Here's the result:









I also added the BMW logos on the wheelcenters.



And a dryfit from the work so far:







When I have some spare time again, I'll clearcoat it. I'm also started with the interior.

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

After the 2K clearcoat, I polished the body to remove some dust and orangepeel.

After this I painted the windowtrims and protectstrips on the doors.











Now I need to paint the lights and windows to complete the body.

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Scrible Scrible is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Hm, I always thought that BMF should be applied after clear coating, not before it.
Some people say that BMF looses its metallic look when coated.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM
iceracer1's Avatar
iceracer1 iceracer1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Re: BMW 5-Series (replica)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrible View Post
Hm, I always thought that BMF should be applied after clear coating, not before it.
Some people say that BMF looses its metallic look when coated.
I don't see the bmf loosing it's shine when clearcoated and I think it still looks realistic after clearcoating. The reason for me is to seal the bmf so it won't fall off after a couple months and after cleaning my models.

Kris.
__________________
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Robert Bentley BMW 5-Series Book Hudson General Discussion 1 02-09-2003 09:09 PM
2004 BMW 5 Series quebec99 5 Series 4 12-20-2002 07:39 PM
BMW 5-Series As A Replacement For a Mercedes E320 David Leedy 5 Series 1 10-24-2002 03:23 PM
For Sale: BMW 5 series parts Lostwanderer 5 Series 0 08-16-2002 03:39 PM
BMW 5 series vs. Mercedes E-Class Pennzoil GT-R Car Comparisons 9 07-27-2002 01:12 AM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts