-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
carol6399 carol6399 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 impala explosion

hey my impala died and i thot it was the battery well my husband was charging it turned the key and the whole top of my motor exploded parts all over the street just glad no one was injured, called GMC they dont seem to concerned but i am just hopeing it dont happen to anyone else if it cost to much to fix i will get another car love my impala but i have heard so many thing i my go to ford but ive allways owned a chevy. if anyone knows if this has happened to anyone else please let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

Welcome to AF, what engine and what exploded, lots of pertinent info missing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

this will occur if too much starting fluid is sprayed into the air intake.... 2 seconds of spray max...

this occurs often this time of year....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 PM
cailou1 cailou1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

wow dejavu... I too have a 2000 impala ls 3.8l 130000 km. It was -40 for a couple of days and the car would not start. Left it for a couple days. Turned the key and boom. My car burned!!! Fire department spent 15 minutes putting out the out of control fire. I dont know what to do. No fire insurance. You know I can see paying to fix things that go wrong, but its rediculous to have your car burn to the ground. Any law suits out there?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Carwhiz Carwhiz is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 2000 impala explosion

Assuming you have a 3.8L engine, a leaking fuel pressure regualtor (FPR) is most likely the culprit of your explosion. Your FPR leaked beyond it's diaphram which caused fuel to be sucked into the vaccum line directly into the upper intake manifold. Durring excessive cranking due to the battery being low on charge along with a mis-timed ignition causes a backfire inside the engine. The excessive pressure escapes though the weakest point in the engine which is the upper intake manifold due to it's plastic components. Is this a lawsuit with GM? not a chance. If anything it would be a lawsuit with your mechanic for not catching your FPR for leaking(part of normal GM 3.8L inspections). For this explosion to happen the FPR must be leaking excessively. Solution to problem: MOST LIKELY, all that is needed if a replacement FPR along with upper intake manifold and gaskets. Thankfully nobody was injured!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 AM
crazy Jim's Avatar
crazy Jim crazy Jim is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

I wonder if it was just the battery that blew and not the entire upper intake cause she mentioned charging and that process will allow some explosive gasses to be released from the battery. I've seen this happen on many occasions. I've never even heard of the intake blowing off the engine except for NOS injected race cars.
__________________
master airframe mech/shadetree auto mech/30+ years experience

current vehicles:
'02 Impala LS 3.8L
'02 Trans Am WS6 LS1 6spd
'99 Grand Am SE 3.4L
'71 Cutlass SX 455/TH400
'04 YZ450F
'07 Kona Garbonzo (dowwnhill mountain bike)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

Well all this is mute as the OP has not clarified his issue as requested!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 AM
dbhoudini1 dbhoudini1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: 2000 impala explosion

I, too, am a victim of the exploding intake manifold. On Dec 13, 2010, my 16 year old daughter told me that her car wouldn't start(2000 Chevy Impala LS)(3.8 Liter engine, 155,000 miles). It had been below freezing for a few days and so I thought that the battery was dead, or at least weak. On December 15th in my attempt to jump the car, when I first turned the key, I just heard a clicking noise, so I figured it needed a minute or so to charge. In the second attempt, there was a huge explosion!! I got out of the car to see that the plastic intake manifold had exploded. I am going to have it repaired, but am somewhat fearful that it may happen again.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-26-2010, 03:16 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhoudini1 View Post
I, too, am a victim of the exploding intake manifold. On Dec 13, 2010, my 16 year old daughter told me that her car wouldn't start(2000 Chevy Impala LS)(3.8 Liter engine, 155,000 miles). It had been below freezing for a few days and so I thought that the battery was dead, or at least weak. On December 15th in my attempt to jump the car, when I first turned the key, I just heard a clicking noise, so I figured it needed a minute or so to charge. In the second attempt, there was a huge explosion!! I got out of the car to see that the plastic intake manifold had exploded. I am going to have it repaired, but am somewhat fearful that it may happen again.
the fuel is injected directly into the cylinders. with low battery power it would be possible to flood engine because of a poor/no spark condition..backfire can occur...then ....

If starting fluid or gas was placed into the intake then,,, it is very common for the intake to explode.

with a weak drained , cold battery jump requires 20 minutes to put some charge into the dead,cold battery ..this is because the battery does not charge when it is cold , very well..when the battery warms up then it can charge.

also the battery jumper cables made today are cheap chinese crap !

I have pure copper jumper clamps, with 2/0 wire soldered to the pure copper clamps..the clamps alone back 40 yrs ago cost 15.00...

today probably 100.oo if you could find a set.

jumpers like this ,,,not much waiting is required...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-27-2010, 01:11 PM
dbhoudini1 dbhoudini1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

well, I didn't use any starter fluid, all I did was the normal jump start procedure........never had any explosions in the past
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhoudini1 View Post
well, I didn't use any starter fluid, all I did was the normal jump start procedure........never had any explosions in the past
must be the injectors flooded the engine with liquid fuel . no spark because of the low voltage. when the spark did get to the plugs the vapors in the intake caused the explosion..

If the throttle pedal was fully depressed when the start attempt was made, before turning the key this would not of occured.

starting fluid it the biggest cause of this .with your case it can still occur with a flooded engine..start proceedure is pedal to floor and then crank .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 AM
dbhoudini1 dbhoudini1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

well,I don't normally step on the accelerator when starting my car, but I will remember to do so in the future
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 2000 impala explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhoudini1 View Post
well,I don't normally step on the accelerator when starting my car, but I will remember to do so in the future
when starting normal just turn key...

if the engine does not start hold throttle pedal to floor then crank..keep pedal to floor , as you cycle the ignition on /off this will keep vapor level in the intake at a safe level..if it does blow it will release pressure out the air filter..
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts