|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Shorted battery
The other day I lost power on my venture van and found the positive battery connector bad. I changed the cable connector and it started right up. Drove a short distance and and lost all power. Pulled the battery and charged it and again it started up and I drove it back home. Went back out and checked it a short time later, and the battery was completed dead. Pulled the battery and took it to Wal-Mart, and they found a bad cell. Installed a new battery and the it started right up. Went out the next day and the battery is completely dead again. Anyone have any idea were a good place to start looking would be? Would appreciate any help. Thanks, Dennis
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Shorted battery
Check for lights and accessories that have been left on, even something as simple as the glovebox light.....
__________________
1997 Chevrolet Venture SFI 3.4l Auto 249k 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SFI 3.5l Auto 81k http://www.s10forum.com/forum/attach...nsor-chart.gif |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Shorted battery
I am having the same sort of problem with my 2002 venture. What I have found was that the radio circuit, rcdlr, onstar, combination flasher, and electronic level control are all drawing power with ignition off and killing the battery every night. So I think what my problem is a ignition switch. When I check for a draw with a test light, I pull the fuses from those circuits and my light continues to get dimmer and goes out after the last fuse. Maybe someone else has some helpful input.
I also had the leaking windshield replaced, so no problems with that right now. |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Shorted battery
Quote:
if you do then it may very well be the switch . springs fail. |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Shorted battery
Some circuits draw a little power to maintain memories.....
__________________
1997 Chevrolet Venture SFI 3.4l Auto 249k 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SFI 3.5l Auto 81k http://www.s10forum.com/forum/attach...nsor-chart.gif |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Shorted battery
Check your headlights -
My Montana's headlight was accumulating water, never thought much about it and figured when the bulb was on it would cause the water to evaporate. That didn't happen but what did happen was I found the positive battery terninal blown off the battery - twice. First time thought it was a freak thing, second time 3 weeks later - figured it was a magor electrical problem. Had to find a short that was a big draw to that kind of amperage. Noticed the headlight with water in it and a lamp that blew apart - drilled some 1/4" weep holes in the bottom of the headlight assembly - replaced the lamp. 2 years later still no problems. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Shorted battery
Quote:
The headlights are fused dude, if there were to be a major current draw it is likeley the 10A? fuse would pop and that would be it. I suspect the HOT bulb that got a slosh of cool water probably fractured due to the thermal shock more than anything..... IMHO.....
__________________
1997 Chevrolet Venture SFI 3.4l Auto 249k 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SFI 3.5l Auto 81k http://www.s10forum.com/forum/attach...nsor-chart.gif |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Shorted battery
Yea,
The only thing that could provide enough load to do something like that would be a short on the starter cable, or maybe the alternator cable. To destroy the battery terminal completely, you would think those cables would melt down first. Frankly, I've never ever seen a battery terminal "blown off the battery." Perhaps just loose.This thread was from July. Whatever problem the original poster had, it didn't involve blown off battery cables and its long over by now. Let's not pull this thing along for no good reason. |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|