-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 PM
xtrattitude4u xtrattitude4u is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeep will start but wont run

I was testing my girlfriends radio wires because her radio wasn't working.
Now her jeep wont start!
I had to jump start the jeep but it wont stay running now!
If you hold your foot on the gas, it will stay running.
If you take it off, it will instantly die.
Help! what did I do to my GF's jeep?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 AM
wrightz28's Avatar
wrightz28 wrightz28 is offline
is bring'n sexy back
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Jeep will start but wont run

I don't see what the two would have in common?

How and where where you testing them? Was the battery run down? Engine running and maybe out of gas?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Rmbodie's Avatar
Rmbodie Rmbodie is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Jeep will start but wont run

my 98 model did this after the battery was run down. I had to struggle to keep it running long enough to drive it at about 35 mph for the computer to teach itself how to idle again. If you were probing fuses or pulling them, you may have accidently disconneted the the computer.
__________________
2000 Trans Am six speed Blackbird .Fast enough stock!
2005 Grand Prix.
2005 2500HD Silverado 4x4 , Duramax!!!!!!! Lifted ,Pumped,Humped,Thumped!
1988 JEEP Cherokee: Lifted, Sons new toy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
xtrattitude4u xtrattitude4u is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Jeep will start but wont run

Ya it was the battery. And the computer. I disconnected the battery for an extended period of time (like more than 10 seconds) so the computer had to re-learn the idle. I also somehow drained the battery almost completely just by testing it a few times. I put in a spare battery I had lying around and it started right up. I don't think the ECU was getting enough power to re-learn at first.
I drove it around for awhile to charge the battery and all seems well.
I'm sure if I kept my foot on the gas for another minute or so it would have stayed running while being jumped.
Off to get a new battery today!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
wrightz28's Avatar
wrightz28 wrightz28 is offline
is bring'n sexy back
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Jeep will start but wont run

Overall, good catch.

One thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrattitude4u View Post
I drove it around for awhile to charge the battery and all seems well.
This is a generalized statement, not scrutinzing you directly, but, the alternator is NOT designed to charge the battery. It's job is maintain the batteries charge. Thus, doing this, and quite potentially installing a low charge battery from a parts store will result in your girfriend calling you up VERY soon to replace her alternator.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts