|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
| Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible. |
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
99 Blazer engine quit
I was driving down the highway one night when the engine in my 99 Blazer quit. The battery indicator light came on and the volt meter read about 9 volts. I pulled to the side and stopped. First thought was the battery or the alternator died, but the headlights were still bright. The motor would easily turn over, but I could not get it to start. I left the car and came back the next day, hopped in and it started. Now the volt meter now reads 14 volts. I am assuming that once the car cooled of the problem went away.
Any idea what would cause the battery indicator light to be on and the volt meter to read 9 volts, but would still allow the motor to easily turn over?? |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 99 Blazer engine quit
With the engine not running the volt meter would read lower than 14 volts.
__________________
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 99 Blazer engine quit
I agree the volt meter should read lower than 14 volt with the engine not running, but it shouldn't be 9 volts. I'd expect the volt meter to read around 12 volts.
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 99 Blazer engine quit
I'm wondering if this isn't the ONE warning you get that a fuel pump is failing. I don't think it has anything to do with the volt meter reading. My volt meter reads 11 volts most of the time & when I check it with my digital meter it is charging 14.2V.
My experience is that the fuel pump could be getting ready to give up. I've had a similar experience & with in a few weeks it left me on the side of the road. The fuel pump will as a rule start & run the truck after it sits for a few hours but finally it will quit for good. Check the fuel pressure it should be 60 PSI. |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 99 Blazer engine quit
Quote:
What I think everyone is missing is that when the Blazer won't start the volt meter reads 9 volts with the engine off and when the problem is not there the volt meter reads about 12 volts with the engine off. I am aware that the volt meters can read low on these Blazers but I see a distinct difference in the volt meter reading when the car has the problem. |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 99 Blazer engine quit
Quote:
Always check battery voltage at the battery for correct battery voltage. When it quits or no start is when you need to check for lose of spark or fuel pressure. Do you have any check engine lights or codes?
__________________
Remember proper testing gives us the answer to many problems. MT |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 99 Blazer engine quit
also check the obvious... you may have a ground going bad. clean the terminals and trace all the grounds. make sure they are secure.
__________________
2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3L 5 speed manual Alpine deck, Type R 12in. sub. 145k miles 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L automatic trans 146k miles |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|