-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM
bmwmech1's Avatar
bmwmech1 bmwmech1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned.by.twenty View Post
Now I can see the shape coming.
I figured that everyone would say that. The birdcage obviously supports the bodywork, specifically around all of the openings, so it really defines the shape, in abstract, if nothing else.

Garey
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 AM
bmwmech1's Avatar
bmwmech1 bmwmech1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400 View Post
Your rate of progress is unnatural...are you a robot?
Nah, once the support structure is done, the tubing goes pretty quickly... the hardest part is getting all of the bends perfect and duplicate parts symmetrical. Plus, remember, I'm working from blueprints, so dimensions are already calculated. Not a lot of guesswork/trial and error, just "tweaking" here and there...

Garey
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM
cinqster's Avatar
cinqster cinqster is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 899
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Hi Garey,

Just saw your thread appear on F1m!

You mentioned on there using real rubber for making the tyres/tires for the Cobra. I did a bit of research for mine before I started and visited a few pro 1/8th model makers. They unanimously suggested not to make the tyres in rubber because they have a lot of weight to support and will perish quite quickly...just a warning!

I like the idea of the tyre ballooning realistically under the models weight and have been looking for a way to reproduce this in resin. My thoughts are to mould a circular tyre and then find a way of distorting it to create a flat spot (probably using heat). I've not yet found a suitable casting material that will behave the way I want but will let you know of I find anything that's suitable,

John

Chassis's looking great BTW!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Scalemodelfanatic's Avatar
Scalemodelfanatic Scalemodelfanatic is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 202
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Garey,

This is just beautiful and spectacular work, but after seeing your 1/8 F40 project, the only conclusion is that NOTHING is to complicated or dificult for you to do...the more complicated, the easier you make it look....and as we all know, is not!!!

Is good to know that the amazing mastery of scrachtbuilding automobile accurate replicas done in the past by the great master modelers like Michael Conti,Manuel Olive Sanz and Gerard Windgrove are still alive and Extreamly well represented in your great work, and other members works shown in this forum.

Just magnificent craftmanship and can't wait to see more progress of this great project, is truly inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
bmwmech1's Avatar
bmwmech1 bmwmech1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
Hi Garey,

Just saw your thread appear on F1m!

You mentioned on there using real rubber for making the tyres/tires for the Cobra. I did a bit of research for mine before I started and visited a few pro 1/8th model makers. They unanimously suggested not to make the tyres in rubber because they have a lot of weight to support and will perish quite quickly...just a warning!

I like the idea of the tyre ballooning realistically under the models weight and have been looking for a way to reproduce this in resin. My thoughts are to mould a circular tyre and then find a way of distorting it to create a flat spot (probably using heat). I've not yet found a suitable casting material that will behave the way I want but will let you know of I find anything that's suitable,

John

Chassis's looking great BTW!
Hey John, yes I posted the WIP on F1m also, because I had the F40 posted there as well and thought everybody might enjoy the Cobra too. Thanks for the heads up on the tires. I actually was thinking of a solid rubber tire, not a hollow one for the reason you said. And this build will be heavy! I think my main reason for wanting a rubber tire is not only for realsm, but the feeling of setting the model down onto rubber instead of resin. With working suspension, the car will want to "settle" down and the tires will push out slightly and sort of scuff along the table surface. A resin tire will scoot and slide like a chair on a wood floor. I just can't get past that sensation... I know, I'm weird...Thanks man!

Garey
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 AM
rollin80s rollin80s is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 652
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra



haha, kidding. looks great. i can't say anymore. the craftsmanship is to die for. can't wait to see more.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
bmwmech1's Avatar
bmwmech1 bmwmech1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin80s View Post


haha, kidding. looks great. i can't say anymore. the craftsmanship is to die for. can't wait to see more.
Great, I try and build the definitive 1/8th scale Cobra and you want me banned! Lol! Thanks man, I'll be starting the engine soon... just ordered the aluminum stock for it!

Garey
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Seventyseven's Avatar
Seventyseven Seventyseven is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

The build is amazing, but check out that workbench! so clean! and that swivel vice! cool.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM
bmwmech1's Avatar
bmwmech1 bmwmech1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyseven View Post
The build is amazing, but check out that workbench! so clean! and that swivel vice! cool.
Nah, don't let that fool you... that's the clean end, the other end is a mess! Lol! I just keep that end clean since it's where my laptop usually sits and I just move it to snap the pics! I have a second bench for plastic modeling on the other side of the workshop that's just as messy! Thanks for the compliment, I've been a little under the weather, but I'll get some more pics up soon!

Garey
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 PM
bmwmech1's Avatar
bmwmech1 bmwmech1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Okay, sorry for the long time between posts, but I had caught a bit of a cold and then work got really busy, so not any time in the workshop. I did get some time in tonight, then watched qualifying for Bahrain, then snapped some photos to post, then I'm off to bed. Hope you enjoy the progress, it's really coming along...













I think I will start working on the engine block now, so I should have some photos of that progress up soon... stay tuned and thanks for watching

Garey
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Wolf95 Wolf95 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Wow
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Shovel's Avatar
Shovel Shovel is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 44
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

As always "awesome" Garey. Can't wait to see that engine block coming along.

Mark
__________________
There will always be the need for speed.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM
f40 f40 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Wow Garey just beautiful work!!!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
bmwmech1's Avatar
bmwmech1 bmwmech1 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Got a good start on the engine block today. I turned a piece of 1/2" brass rod as the starting point, made the endplates and drilled them to slide onto the rod for integrity and a solid place to drill for the pulleys on the front and a strong mount for the bellhousing and transmission, on the rear. The biggest pain of constructing this was the cylinder bank offsets. It all came out alright, though. The last photo is the obligatory motor-in-frame shot. Enjoy...











Thanks again for watching...

Garey
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
tony126c2 tony126c2 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 278
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Awesome Garey, these pictures are great appetizers of things that will come!

Ton
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts