|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Cabellero 305 V8
Hey,
I'm new but here it goes, i got a 1980 caballero with a 305 in there, I wanna take it to the strip but I need to get some more power outta it before I go taking it. Is this viable cause i'm on a bit of a budget but i figure the low compression and emissions stuff don't really help the engine either so i thought it might be possible. Thanks for any help! |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Cabellero 305 V8
You will get varied responses here. 305 is not the "best" small block for performance, but it isn't a POS, either. Emmission controls actually have little or no affect on overall performance (mythology). The lower compression, however, does.
IMO, if you don't want to put a 350 or 383 in there, get an Edelbrock Performer intake (NOT "RPM"), a 550 CFM Edelbrock carb, Comp XE256H cam, Hooker "Comp" headers and a recurved HEI. This will get you close to 300 HP, enough to make your little Elky go in the low 15s, maybe 14s. A gear change would help as well. TH350 trans, right? A TransGo "Stage 2" shift kit will "wake" that up, too. If you DO plan a larger engine in the future, I wouldn't mess much with the 305. Most of the "goodies" that help 305 will "slow down" 350 or 383. The goodies that "work" on the larger engines will turn 305 into a "pig". Headers are a good example,. 305 "likes" 1 1/2" primary tubes. 350-up "likes" at least 1 5/8, and maybe bigger depending on modifications. FWIW Jim |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|