-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 AM
bnations bnations is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TH350 Transmission Slip, No Gear, Stutter

I just recently installed a new aftermarket radiator on my '79 camaro with 350 motor and TH350 AutoMatic Transmission and now the thing is either slipping out of gears, stuttering, or shifting erratically at high RPMs. I just changed the fluid and filter on the trans a month ago, and now when I check the fluid level it is very high and grey in color. I have hooked up the aluminum lines coming off of the trans right back into their proper locations on the radiator, is it possible Im getting coolant in my transmission?

How would I go about checking this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
MagicRat's Avatar
MagicRat MagicRat is offline
Nothing scares me anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,702
Thanks: 12
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Re: TH350 Transmission Slip, No Gear, Stutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnations View Post
is it possible Im getting coolant in my transmission?
Is the ATF a foggy reddish/grey/green color, with the consistency of a milkshake?

Yes, it's possible the trans cooler in the new rad is leaking. If so, the ATF may leak into the rad, until the cooling system pressurizes, at which time, the coolant will leak into the trans cooler lines and contaminate all the fluid.

Is there any trans fluid in the coolant?

For a test, disconnect both transmission cooler lines. Then place a coolant pressure tester on the rad and pump it up. Normally, the tester should show that the cooling system is holding 15 lbs pressure for a considerable period of time, at least 10 minutes or so.

Look for a pressure loss and/or coolant dripping out of the trans cooler ports on the radiator.

You can rent or borrow a pressure tester at many auto parts stores.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: TH350 Transmission Slip, No Gear, Stutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnations View Post
I just recently installed a new aftermarket radiator on my '79 camaro with 350 motor and TH350 AutoMatic Transmission and now the thing is either slipping out of gears, stuttering, or shifting erratically at high RPMs. I just changed the fluid and filter on the trans a month ago, and now when I check the fluid level it is very high and grey in color. I have hooked up the aluminum lines coming off of the trans right back into their proper locations on the radiator, is it possible Im getting coolant in my transmission?

How would I go about checking this?

If you did get coolant in the transmission ,,,you will need a new transmission...this type of damage destroys everything...including the torque converter...all lines need be carefully cleaned ....

where did you get , and what brand was this radiator
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts