-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 PM
da_ashman's Avatar
da_ashman da_ashman is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,761
Thanks: 51
Thanked 136 Times in 134 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

What,..... a Toyota Engine in a Misti? cant wait to see what that looks like!!!
Nice brass work
__________________

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 AM
sportracer02's Avatar
sportracer02 sportracer02 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,431
Thanks: 28
Thanked 80 Times in 74 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400 View Post
I chose to use brass for two reasons:

A. I wanted to challenge myself. I've seen brass work done by several fellow modelers and have always been impressed with the way it looks. Something I've always aspired to do.

B. Structural integrity. I've seen people build styrene chassis and stuff before, but I've always wondered what happens in a couple years, is it drooping? Plus the suspension perches can be a lot stronger in brass and much smaller without compromising strength.
I agree in both arguments, it looks convincing, a modeller sometimes needs to be challenged and it probably will stay longer than plastic.
__________________
Micha
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 AM
mike@af's Avatar
mike@af mike@af is offline
Captain Over Engineer
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,711
Thanks: 27
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

I spent a lot of time today working on the rear end and started the roll cage. I'm approaching a bump in the road as I haven't figured out how I want to do the front suspension yet. (I suppose its time to look up some racecar reference!) The rear end is almost complete. I still need to build the wheel wells and add a few more tubes. The cabin area is just being started.



Somebody had asked how I jig my parts up. Most stuff is held in place by fit, some of it is held by reverse action tweezers. This is a more complex jig setup to hold the control arm bulkheads. I used a 1/32" drill bit (solder doesn't stick to tool steel, drill bits are cheap, and I had one laying around) through both bulkheads to insure they were lined up correctly, then the tweezers are holding the bulkhead in place ready to be soldered.

More pics of where the project currently stands.








The body fits the chassis like a glove. Couldn't ask for a better fit.







Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy!
__________________
-Mike
AF Director of Media / Photographer

[email protected] | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Sebastian.'s Avatar
Sebastian. Sebastian. is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 184
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Sebastian.
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

wow........
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 AM
ajrichar ajrichar is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 174
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian. View Post
wow........
You're telling me........
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 AM
gtziaf's Avatar
gtziaf gtziaf is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,336
Thanks: 138
Thanked 111 Times in 106 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Excellent stuff!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Decs0105's Avatar
Decs0105 Decs0105 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,410
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

That's crazy... and I love crazy , brilliant work!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Mikezibit's Avatar
Mikezibit Mikezibit is offline
AF Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 768
Thanks: 7
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

WOW, I`m speechless, have you pics from the real car
__________________
REFERENCE PICTURES
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Robi J's Avatar
Robi J Robi J is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,150
Thanks: 21
Thanked 56 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Excellent Mike, excellent...

Did you start from a drawing for the tubes layout, or are you assembling them directly onto the car?

R
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-08-2009, 05:41 AM
ffejjeff ffejjeff is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

ill be waiting for this thread.. it would be the detail.. nice car man!
__________________

GT-R forever!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
mike@af's Avatar
mike@af mike@af is offline
Captain Over Engineer
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,711
Thanks: 27
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi J View Post
Excellent Mike, excellent...

Did you start from a drawing for the tubes layout, or are you assembling them directly onto the car?

R
Thanks Robi! Surprisingly this is the first model I haven't thought out and drawn out ahead of time. I'm actually just coming up with it as I go and fitting it to the body. However, I do occasionally use styrene rod to bend templates, such as for the front downtubes.
__________________
-Mike
AF Director of Media / Photographer

[email protected] | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Robi J's Avatar
Robi J Robi J is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,150
Thanks: 21
Thanked 56 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400 View Post
Thanks Robi! Surprisingly this is the first model I haven't thought out and drawn out ahead of time. I'm actually just coming up with it as I go and fitting it to the body. However, I do occasionally use styrene rod to bend templates, such as for the front downtubes.
So, FULL respect !!!

Robi
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 PM
jaykay640 jaykay640 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 823
Thanks: 3
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Nice!!!!
I have no clue about that sort of car but your work on that frame looks waaay promising!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Myx_85's Avatar
Myx_85 Myx_85 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 273
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Myx_85
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Looks really excellent...
Can't wait to see more update from this...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
willimo willimo is offline
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,723
Thanks: 50
Thanked 89 Times in 65 Posts
Re: Time Attack/Circuit Racer Mitsubishi Evo V

Holy mother....! How did I miss this?

I don't know what's more astonishing, the fact that Mike's building something, or how fantastic this is going to be! Stellar work so far on the tube frame. What an amazing car this will be!
__________________
It ain't cool 'till your wife hates it.
Imagine a world without Alabama

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts