-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 AM
mudslinger88's Avatar
mudslinger88 mudslinger88 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
01 Bravada Alternator(s)

Hey all. Has anybody ever put dual alternators on a bravada? I'm planning on taking the AC pump out. Is it possible to put an alternator in the place of the AC pump?
__________________
~2001 Oldsmobile Bravada 4.3L Vortech V-6 Automatic AWD~ (Running) (Left hand drive)
~1997 Rover 820Si 1.9L DOHC Inline 4 Automatic FWD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
~1992 Vauxhall Frontera 2.4L Inline 4 Manual 4WD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Chris Stewart's Avatar
Chris Stewart Chris Stewart is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,920
Thanks: 113
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: 01 Bravada Alternator(s)

Sure you can do it although I don't know how to wire it to the existing chassis electrical.
What about a nice Vortec blower?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
mudslinger88's Avatar
mudslinger88 mudslinger88 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 01 Bravada Alternator(s)

I have considered the Vortec blower but the price tag is out of my range right now. It's on a list of future mods, along with lowering it a few inches and tightning up the suspension. If I can find a diagram on the wiring up two alternators I will post it. I just had the trans rebuilt and they told me that I wouldn't need a shift kit. Any suggestions there? I've heard they extend the life of the trans.
__________________
~2001 Oldsmobile Bravada 4.3L Vortech V-6 Automatic AWD~ (Running) (Left hand drive)
~1997 Rover 820Si 1.9L DOHC Inline 4 Automatic FWD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
~1992 Vauxhall Frontera 2.4L Inline 4 Manual 4WD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 PM
ericn1300's Avatar
ericn1300 ericn1300 is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,068
Thanks: 7
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Re: 01 Bravada Alternator(s)

What's the point of adding an alternator? If you take out the A/C compressor and replace it with an idler pulley your existing alternator will be providing 20 amps in excess of needs. You'd be better off adding more storage, i.e. put in another battery first. Having two batteries will provide the power even after the engine is shut off and not increase the load on the engine while running giving you better mileage and more power.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 AM
mudslinger88's Avatar
mudslinger88 mudslinger88 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 01 Bravada Alternator(s)

It was just an idea that I had been messing with. I doubt I'll ever do it. I know I want to take the AC pump out though.
__________________
~2001 Oldsmobile Bravada 4.3L Vortech V-6 Automatic AWD~ (Running) (Left hand drive)
~1997 Rover 820Si 1.9L DOHC Inline 4 Automatic FWD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
~1992 Vauxhall Frontera 2.4L Inline 4 Manual 4WD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Chris Stewart's Avatar
Chris Stewart Chris Stewart is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,920
Thanks: 113
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: 01 Bravada Alternator(s)

If you could find a welder/generator with a blown motor, you could do portable welding on the side...ya got any welding certificates?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 AM
mudslinger88's Avatar
mudslinger88 mudslinger88 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 01 Bravada Alternator(s)

I have no welding certs. I would probably just do what ericn1300 suggested with the dual batteries and take the AC pump out with an idler pulley in place. I was just curious if anybody had ever put dual alts on a 4.3
__________________
~2001 Oldsmobile Bravada 4.3L Vortech V-6 Automatic AWD~ (Running) (Left hand drive)
~1997 Rover 820Si 1.9L DOHC Inline 4 Automatic FWD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
~1992 Vauxhall Frontera 2.4L Inline 4 Manual 4WD~ (Running) (Right hand drive)
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts