-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
ozzfreak ozzfreak is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
91 LX rear windows are about to make me mad......

ok, I got the car, and the rear power windows didn't work. So just recently, I figured I'd try fixing them. At first I thought, switches. So I tested the switches in the back, although I just put the test light in the wire, then grounded on the car, lit up. So I thought that meant it was all good. So then I thought it was the regulators, so I replaced both of them, nada. Still didn't work. Then I looked into more detail on the switches. I put the test light in one side of the wire, and the ground on the other, and nothing, but if i ground to the car, it would light. So I figured it was the main switch on the driver door. I replaced that today, and nothing, gah!!!!! So what other things can I look at? I have checked all the fuses, so that's not the problem either. I am just sick of throwing money at this. Help?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Copytech99 Copytech99 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 435
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Re: 91 LX rear windows are about to make me mad......

You need to measure between the 2 motor connection leads. Checking for voltage when attempting to raise/lower. (don't reference to ground) and work your way backwards from there. The wire colors should remain the same.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
4G4D Store's Avatar
4G4D Store 4G4D Store is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to 4G4D Store Send a message via AIM to 4G4D Store Send a message via MSN to 4G4D Store Send a message via Yahoo to 4G4D Store
Re: 91 LX rear windows are about to make me mad......

Try hooking a 12v power and ground directly do the rear motors and see if they go. If they don't go with direct power then the motors are shot. If they do, then slowly work your way back through the wiring.
__________________
1991 Sedan LX Auto (Auto2Manual / MPFI / OBD1 conversions complete)
www.naytontech.com :: youtube.com/naytontech
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Copytech99 Copytech99 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 435
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Re: 91 LX rear windows are about to make me mad......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G4D Store View Post
Try hooking a 12v power and ground directly do the rear motors and see if they go. If they don't go with direct power then the motors are shot. If they do, then slowly work your way back through the wiring.
I did this test on my drivers rear on my 05. ( I could see the lights dimming slightly when trying with the switches) so I tried 12 Volts direct to battery... It would not budge. This window was hardly used ( maybe the reason it failed)

The one thing I'm not sure of is how to lower the window to get to the bolts mounting the glass to the regulator loose ???
Thinking maybe I can go ahead and cut the cable in the regulator (holding the glass from dropping of course)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
ozzfreak ozzfreak is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 91 LX rear windows are about to make me mad......

well, before I changed out the regulators, we tested the motors. They were locked up. So I put new ones in. The switches would not operate the new motors, but if I bypassed the switch, and just used a jumper, it would go up and down, depending on which way the + and - were. So I know the motors are good. They are new also. I thought maybe it was the main control switch on the drivers door. But I got another, and the same thing, only the rear windows don't work. Someone told me that there is a grey box in the drivers door that could be the problem, but doesn't that control the power locks? I haven't looked if the wires from the switch go into it or not. I'd like to get this fixed before it gets too hot outside, but I'm not sure what else to try besides that grey box.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Copytech99 Copytech99 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 435
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Re: 91 LX rear windows are about to make me mad......

Have you located the factory service manual for your car on the web ??

What is the voltage present at the motor leads when the switches are operated ??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
ozzfreak ozzfreak is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 91 LX rear windows are about to make me mad......

no, i haven't. And we just used a test light. I'll have to take the door panel off again to test with a meter. That'll have to wait til tomorrow though.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts