-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
bmklawt bmklawt is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
7 pin plug, no power to backup lights

2005 Silverado
I am hoping I am just missing something, I was checking to make sure all the lights work on my new camper and I can not get the backup lamps to work.
I unplugged the camper and tested the center pin of the 7 pin trailer plug thats on the vehicle and I get nothing, is there a fuse I am missing, anyone have any ideas why this does not work. The reverse lights on the truck work fine.

Your help is much appreciated.
__________________
Bruce

2014 Toyota Camry Hibrid
2005 Silverado Z71 5.3L
1997 Grand Caravan 3.3L
1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM
sassydog sassydog is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 7 pin plug, no power to backup lights

The standard 7 pin connection does not include Backup lights. I think the center pin is auxilary power and is supposed to be hot but I can't remember for sure. I remember having to switch some wires to get them working on our '98 burb but not sure what we did. Seems someone told me there is a wire run for reverse lights on these trucks but I haven't looked.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 7 pin plug, no power to backup lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassydog View Post
The standard 7 pin connection does not include Backup lights. I think the center pin is auxilary power and is supposed to be hot but I can't remember for sure. I remember having to switch some wires to get them working on our '98 burb but not sure what we did. Seems someone told me there is a wire run for reverse lights on these trucks but I haven't looked.
on my silverado [tow pkg] their is a wire hanging with a plug on the end...since I don't have the back up lt need perhaps its this wire next to the plug socket....let me know..check with a meter .....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM
bmklawt bmklawt is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found the problem

Thanks everyone for the help,

The center pin is the backup lights, the cover of the trailer 7 pin connector has the pin out molded into the cover.

I finally found the wiring schematic for the trailer wiring in the service manual and it does show a fuse for the backup lights under the hood. There is no mention of trailer wiring in the index of the service manual so I went through 200 pages of print twice and found it.
I went back under the hood and found fuse "TRL B/U" that makes perfect sense now.

I had checked that fuse earlier and it checked good, I also had looked in the owners manual for the fuse description but must have missed it, it is there.
When I check the fuse earlier with a fuse checker it checked good, after finding the info in the book I went back to the "TRL B/U" fuse and actually pulled it out, it looks good so I tested it with the fuse checker while holding it in my had and found that there must be a break in the fuse, it would show good intermittently, the fuse is not blown.
I think when I pressed the pins of the fuse checker into the fuse it would move it enough that where ever it is broke would make contact and show the fuse as good
I put an ohm meter on the pins of the fuse and it read open and when I jiggled the pins of the fuse just right I could get a good reading so I replaced the fuse and all is well.

10 hours of my life down the tubes because a fuse was bad
__________________
Bruce

2014 Toyota Camry Hibrid
2005 Silverado Z71 5.3L
1997 Grand Caravan 3.3L
1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
sassydog sassydog is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 7 pin plug, no power to backup lights

Just put a meter on my '04 and the center pin is backup lights.
Started raining on me before I could get to the wire beside the 7 pin. I don't think there are separate fuse to the plug, so if your back up lights work on the truck you should have power to your plug. Camper plug may be wired differently too, wouldn't be the first time! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM
sassydog sassydog is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 7 pin plug, no power to backup lights

Great info to know thanks. I have found that the wire beside the trailer plug is for the third stop light such as on a camper top.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 7 pin plug, no power to backup lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassydog View Post
Great info to know thanks. I have found that the wire beside the trailer plug is for the third stop light such as on a camper top.
thanks for the feedback on this...
with an intermittent failure like that fuse I think he did a great job troubleshooting it properly..
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts