-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-08-2007, 04:06 PM
creslevi creslevi is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heater Core Leaking

My Grandson has 2000 Dodge Durango with a leaking heater core, He has the Dash almost out and I just learned about a special tool kit needed to disconnect the heater hoses and A/C lines, Can anyone explain a little about these special tools and the heater hose location, we can't even see the hoses, how do you disconnect them ? , From the top or underneath the car, I have looked at the tools and must admit I have never seen anything like this in my 73 years of knuckle busting any help will be greatly appreciated thanks a bunch for any detailed explanation on these fitting (hose's and A/C lines) I understand now with the new type freon you can just dump it, then recharge after the repair is this true ?.
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2007, 06:55 PM
leftuncheckd leftuncheckd is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

My only experience with a leaking heater core was a 87 dodge aries.
I found the leak and plugged it with clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
rhandwor rhandwor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

I would ask an independent if he will evacuate the system for the R134 which I assume is what you have. This way it can be recycled and reused. If you don't have a vacuum pump you can pay him to do this for you. The AC disconnect check the pipe size. I saw some which are x shaped at Pep Boys for a reasonable price. You put them in the back of the fitting around the pipe and release a spring inside so the fitting comes apart. The heater hose goes through the firewall the disconnect should be there. Read the instructions with the brand of tool you purchased. My set has handles so you can get to the disconnect. If I remember correctly you put the tool against the release mechasism and pull.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2007, 09:00 PM
creslevi creslevi is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

We finally got the dash out, What a nighmare Dodge has needlessly created for the american consumer, Some day I prat this internet will get organized enough to rise up in protest against all the manufacturer's for this engineering nonsense, there is no way and entire dash should have to come out to change a heater core in a 7 year old car, My lord they must think the american people are idiots for putting up with this nonsense, and then they have the gall to deny you online help or tutorials to fix their cheap workmanship, then these websites that say click here for free on line service manuals are lying thru their teeth because all they want to do is sell you another book that never shows the detail necessary to do anything, Well I guess the rant is over sorry to bend your ear but it gets disgusting to see these kids just starting out in life being taken advantage of.

I just hope someone reads this post that has experience with this heater core removal, that can show me a picture of how many screws are holding the heater box in, so far I found 2 on the engine side 10M but there has to be more the book shows nothing about the heater box or heater hoses which by the way looks like regular spring type heater hose clamps ??, very awkward place to get at them I also need some input on the A/C lines they look like they are held in place by a plate with a nut on the outside, we have the kit there but have no idea how they work, never saw Anything like it before
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2007, 09:52 PM
wafrederick wafrederick is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

There is a special pair of pliers for those spring hose clamps,they will get in the tightest spots and are not cheap,$35.00 to $100.00 for the special spring hose clamp pliers.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2007, 08:19 AM
rhandwor rhandwor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

Do a yahoo search for free auto repair manuals. Auto Zone owns a company which sells a one years subscriptiom for your vehicle $25.00 I would suggest you buy this. Make sure you print out the electrical diagram before it expires.
I have used this before. Very handy when you need it. Send me a private email with your email address and I will send you a link. I just can't think of the name at this time.
Do an ebay search for manuals on cd or printed. I looked and they had 3 heater sets for $38.00 for heater tools. It appeared to have both heater and ac disconnects for all vehicles. I used Dodge heater tool.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
rhandwor rhandwor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

http://www.alldata.com/ This is the company that sells one year subscriptions. Many garages use them but they buy a lot more expensive plan.
The garages either use alldata or mitchell manuals. They are much more detailed than a chilton manual. Cost $25.00 with a discount for more vehicles.
If you buy print the diagram so you have a picture where you work. Rember to print the electrical diagram before it expires.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-15-2007, 06:49 AM
creslevi creslevi is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Heater Core Leaking

Heater is back in and almost complete everything works but the blower ?, how do you troubleshoot that, all the plugs are in, Could the A/C being discharged be keeping the fan off to protect the compressor ?, Thnaks for you r thoughts.
Rick
PS
What a nightmare
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM
rhandwor rhandwor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

Normally they have a pressure switch on the filter dryer you have to jump so you can charge the system. They should have been resistors for the heater speed control mounted in the heater chamber. Did you plug these in when you did the job. Vacuum lines which control the dampers have to be hooked up and getting vacuum. I think you disconnected something doing the job and forgot about.
I remember changing one on a big chevy in the evening after work for a friend. They use all the extra computers and hiding things so you need special tools. The want you to go to the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-24-2007, 08:44 AM
creslevi creslevi is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

Merry Christmas everyone, I am happy to report this horrendous job is done, A/C is recharged and heater works fine, Total cost about $250.00, The problem with the blower motor was a big plug missed in the back (Middle) of the heater box, Thanks for all your help.
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 PM
icechopper26 icechopper26 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Heater Core Leaking

Thanks for posting your progress. My girlfriend's 99 is just puffing a sweet smelling fog once in awhile...but I know what this means (busted knuckles). Any general details that you could give advice on would be greatly appreciated.

IC
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Durango


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts