-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Burkster Burkster is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
loose output shaft on tranny

Replaced the tranny about 18 months ago with GM reman. and no problems since.But last week wife complained about a noise at about 40 mph.
I test drive and hear a "rubbing sound" from front end . Checked front suspension and hub bearings, they seemed ok. Noise only appears about 25-45 mph and doesn't go away in turns. Upon inspection I found grease coming out of left side inner cv boot by tranny (wasn't torn or damaged) So I figure with 140K I'd change both since I was in there.(struts also) After removing left side CV shaft I felt some play on output shaft in tranny (about 1/8 inch on the shaft)not sure this is right. Assembled anyway and test drove.same noise. I'm wondering if bearings going out of drivers side output shaft?

I installed the tranny myself (I'm a mechanic for a heavy highway contractor) so I wonder if I have any warranty thru GM . 3 years 36000 I think.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is online now
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: loose output shaft on tranny

Without hearing this noise onsite this is tough to offer help, final drive bearings maybe?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Burkster Burkster is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: loose output shaft on tranny

Yeah I know, It's kinda a thump thump thump at speed and its not steady, it comes and goes. At first I seemed like something rubbing the shaft or tire. Rotated tires, no difference in sound. gonna try hub bearings next since they will be the last original part in the front end. I just wasn't sure the play in that output shaft was normal. I'll let you know what happens next.

Last edited by Burkster; 01-11-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
1999montana's Avatar
1999montana 1999montana is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 523
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: loose output shaft on tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkster
Yeah I know, It's kinda a thump thump thump at speed and its not steady, it comes and goes. At first I seemed like something rubbing the shaft or tire. Rotated tires, no difference in sound. gonna try hub bearings next since they will be the last original part in the front end. I just wasn't sure the play in that output shaft was normal. I'll let you know what happens next.
You may want to re-check the hub bearings again. My left side went out at about 135,000 Kms. Sounded weird, and came and went at first. Then let go one hot afternoon in heavy traffic on the highway. Could have probably driven it home, but had it fixed away from home and tools for $400.00.

Sounded like a droning sound like driving on the ribbed shoulder of the highway and got progressively louder with speed. Telling sign was when the rotor started contacting the thin plate that holds the ABS sensor in place. Enough movement to cause the rotor to rub on turns. Should have recognized what it was and fixed it then.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts