-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-26-2006, 07:46 AM
jmsargent jmsargent is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 Trailblazer acting up

I have a 2002 Trailblazer LT and this week it starting acting up. I have 40000 miles on it and I went to start it and it was completely dead...no interior lights or anything. I pressed the brake then all was working and it started fine. It did that a couple of times this week now the gauges are acting up. Showing off the charts. Yesterday it started shifting weird from 1st to 2nd and then shifts fine. Doesn't feel like it is slipping almost like a skipping....any body have this problem.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,071
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

Welcome to AF. Check the battery connections first or for a weak battery
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2006, 12:21 PM
jmsargent jmsargent is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

There is a black and red connection to the battery that look ok...then there is a red wire that is not attached to anything....it looks to have some type of metal end with a hole in the center and this wire is not hooked to anything. It comes from another box and hooked to a black hose or wirey thing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2006, 01:26 PM
rodeo02 rodeo02 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

That axilliary red lead is for a constant 12VDC supply to the trailer connection. An intermittent no start or stall, where the battery and charging system are fine is typically a bad ignition switch. Very common.

Joel
__________________
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i base CVT
2016 Nissan Quest SV
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2006, 02:03 PM
jmsargent jmsargent is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

There is not juice what so ever...I just went down to check and nothing. Just yesterday this happened but pressed the break pedal and it started.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2006, 02:05 PM
jmsargent jmsargent is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

oh...forgot to say the battery is fairly new.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 PM
jmsargent jmsargent is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

Are you still here? I wanted to see if you might be able to help me. Now it won't start at all. Like I said before I was able to press the break but it was like it rebooted itself and the clock went to 12:00.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2006, 02:38 PM
rodeo02 rodeo02 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsargent
There is not juice what so ever...I just went down to check and nothing. Just yesterday this happened but pressed the break pedal and it started.
If the starter does crank the engine over with full force, you've got headlights, etc. You've got juice. Like I say, everything cutting out intermittently is probably a bad ignition switch. Try to wiggle the key/ignition next time to see if it starts.

Joel
__________________
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i base CVT
2016 Nissan Quest SV
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-26-2006, 03:00 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,071
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Question Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsargent
Are you still here? I wanted to see if you might be able to help me. Now it won't start at all. Like I said before I was able to press the break but it was like it rebooted itself and the clock went to 12:00.
Info is piece by piece here, do you have head lites ? Again take off the battery cables and clean and retighten them first, do you have a horn? If you have no interior lites, you have a main connection fuauty somewhere, the ign switches are problematic as rodeo02 says, but the symptoms up to this point, point to other issues.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Cartersb Cartersb is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

Just had very similar problems with 2004 Envoy with 48k -- different electrical problems, car battery dead (but fine).

Hooked up to the computer, no codes. Thanks to the posts on this forum, had the ignition switch replaced & guess what? Problems are GONE! Thanks to all who posted similar problems! Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 AM
gmpartsman gmpartsman is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

The battery CONNECTION is the culprit, I would bet you. Yes, your battery may check out fine, and yes, your connections might feel tight. Loosen the bolts, clean the terminals out with a wire brush, and re-tighten (careful not to over-tighten.) Mine did this just last week. I turned it off in my driveway, and instead of the radio staying on until I opened the door, as is normal, everything went out as soon as I turned the key off. Also, the key would not release from the cylinder. Having some experience with the TB electrical system (putting in XM radio over New Years Day, ended up with my TB down for a week because of a stupid mistake, long story).

Is your key sticking in the ignition when this occurs?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
jak8005 jak8005 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Trailblazer acting up

I had the same problem. It will come and go and then finally go... I had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the ignition module. $125.00 But it fixed the problem. DIY this fix.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts