-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:35 PM
flatlander757 flatlander757 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Unhappy Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

www.V8RX7.com

Heh

I've talked it over with my parents and it seems that dropping an LS1 style motor with a T56 into an FC body style RX7 wouldn't cost a whole lot of money... ~300hp + 2600lbs = pissed off rotary community, crazy fast car, handling like a mofo, and a BIG smile on my face

I'll be doing it for auto-x, occasional drag racing and general freeway merging

I'm thinking I'll go for a 5.3L truck engine because you can get those complete from intake to oilpan for about $800-1000. I can get my hands on a T56 for about $1000. I'll have to get an F-body intake, oilpan, and some accessories to make it fit right. To lose some more weight I'll be swapping in a manual steering rack and deleting the A/C to make it how a race car should be

Once everything is initially running and set up, I'll go back in the motor and mill the heads to raise compression, get some bigger rocker arms, switch out the springs and put a Z06 cam in there for another 40hp up top with stock-like drivability. A few trucks are in the 12s with similar setups so I'll be hoping for high 11s

What do you guys think?
__________________
-Tony- Sold my Z28 looong ago. Now sporting an '03 TJ.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:28 PM
stepho stepho is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to stepho Send a message via Yahoo to stepho
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

when I first saw the title I thought "BS! this has to be a joke"

but it seems like your going to have something pretty cool when its all said and done. Plus your putting an ls1 so at least you have some taste left!
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by sportlinetta
lol, u guys are dummmmmmmmmmmmb im 14 n i know more. i gotta 88 camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportlinetta
would that mean get a new cylinder or plug???
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
flatlander757 flatlander757 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepho
when I first saw the title I thought "BS! this has to be a joke"

but it seems like your going to have something pretty cool when its all said and done. Plus your putting an ls1 so at least you have some taste left!
Yeah, honestly I have no problems with imports... it's just the dinky powerplants that sound similar to a bumblebee with sand in it's vagina

I think once I'm done I'll rebadge it as "RX327" for the hell of it.(I know the 5.3 technically isn't a 327... but screw you I'll do what I want!!)

Plus you can fit true duals under there without sacrificing too much clearance! Score!

With some giggle gas it should put me close to/on par with Mr. Luos

I just need to learn to drive a stick first

Don't worry guys, I will ALWAYS drive something with the soul of an F-body! (Well, except for now... I'm in an 86 Ford Ranger. I promise it's only a beater. Hopefully it won't break hauling an engine/tranny combo!)
__________________
-Tony- Sold my Z28 looong ago. Now sporting an '03 TJ.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
92zcamaroperson's Avatar
92zcamaroperson 92zcamaroperson is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

5.3 will be too heavy and will throw off the handling unless you get one out of the ssr then its aluminum. Go ls1 and it will make for one hec of a track car. Id do the same thing if those rx7's werent so friggin ugly...and I just really like my car. that and I think im just gonna ditch my swap. These motors are just too pricey for me to be realistic with my money spending. Maybe sometime in the future when the l98 takes a dump.
__________________
92 z28 camaro 5.7 TPI
current - slp intake runners and base-BBK 52mm throttle body-MSD 8.5mm wires, blaster coil, and 6AL Box-edelbrock headers-160 degree stat.-hotchkis strut tower brace

waiting in the garage - LQ4, milled heads 317 casting (10.5 to 1), hardened pushrods, ported LS6 oil pump, manley dual spings with titanium retainers, MTI X1 cam, hawks longtube headers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:22 PM
flatlander757 flatlander757 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

It won't throw handling off too bad, it weighs about the same as an LT1... which many have swapped as well. Take a look at this guy's Cardomain:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

His LT1/T56 swap is what really inspired me. If you look on p12, you'll see that these weights are given:
1987 RX7 base: 2625lbs
1987 Turbo II model: 2840

His car ended up weighing in at 2820. Now given that all the weight is taken and removed from the same place, it won't noticably affect handling. Plus, with no A/C, no P/S, and more than likely a battery relocation to the back it should be close to stock.

Though in all honesty if I like the car enough, I will save my pennies for a nice heads/cam LS1.

It all depends on how much money I save over the summer and how expensive everything else is.

On top of that, coming from a formal Camaro-owner... I'm used to being nose-heavy and I'll just learn to control oversteer
__________________
-Tony- Sold my Z28 looong ago. Now sporting an '03 TJ.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Mr. Luos's Avatar
Mr. Luos Mr. Luos is offline
Firebird Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757
With some giggle gas it should put me close to/on par with Mr. Luos
I could always drop a 200 shot on mine.
Even bigger if I go progressive shot.

Of course....not one to toss a bottle on my car.
__________________
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Nate355RS's Avatar
Nate355RS Nate355RS is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
Of course....not one to toss a bottle on my car.
I guess that answers my question in the other thread....
__________________


'91 RS, forged LT1, GTP heads, blower cam, AFR Hydra-Rev kit, ram air intake, SLP 1 3/4 headers and 3" y-pipe, 3" Dynomax exaust, Yank 2800 TT stall converter, Strange 3.73 gears with Zexel-Torsen LSD, ect, ect...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Rally Sport's Avatar
Rally Sport Rally Sport is offline
Is eating.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Rally Sport Send a message via MSN to Rally Sport
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

bah.. throwing a chevy engine into an import.. nothing new.. you might as well and go for a Miata instead..

I wouldnt do that though.. not in a 7 or Miata.. but I wouldnt mind doing it in a 280Z..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Savage Messiah's Avatar
Savage Messiah Savage Messiah is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,690
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Savage Messiah Send a message via Yahoo to Savage Messiah
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

LS1 RX7's are sick... and agreed, don't go for the truck motor, get a F-body or Y-body LS1 (or ls6 or ls2 or ls7 depending on how deep your pockets are )
__________________
97 Camaro - 2.077 60', 14.745 @ 92.20 - still down, one year later.

194k miles-160* thermo-V8 shocks/springs (V6 rear springs)-3" Magnaflow !cat (3" dynomax bullet) back-SLP CAI-stock boxed LCAs-poly tranny mount and torque arm bushing-custom HPTuners tuning-4.10s/eaton/TA girdle-3.5" alum DS-spohn LCA brackets-prostar skinnies

179.75 RWHP, 204.52 RWTQ

ON ITS WAY: MORE

R.I.P. Andy

87 Benz 190e - DD

01 EX250 - still gotta get my license for this thing
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:07 AM
flatlander757 flatlander757 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Messiah
LS1 RX7's are sick... and agreed, don't go for the truck motor, get a F-body or Y-body LS1 (or ls6 or ls2 or ls7 depending on how deep your pockets are )
I've been looking around more and I've found some complete LS1 pullouts from junkyards in the $2200 area. It probably would be worth saving for, but on the same note those iron blocks are good for about 12psi. I'm thinking a 5.3L turbo'd RX7 would be a great daily driver and still get awesome gas mileage

And no way on the Miata... those are kinda queer.
__________________
-Tony- Sold my Z28 looong ago. Now sporting an '03 TJ.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-14-2006, 11:03 AM
92zcamaroperson's Avatar
92zcamaroperson 92zcamaroperson is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

aluminum blocks will hold much more than 12 psi. Only when your getting into the 20+ area will the block start to come into question. Im still adding stuff up but ive got a bunch of good performance parts for the ls1 that I will be selling. Ive got a complete motor minus the lifters, fuel rail, and throttle body, and some sensors. It will also need a gasket set. Im gonna part it all out. If your interested let me know.
__________________
92 z28 camaro 5.7 TPI
current - slp intake runners and base-BBK 52mm throttle body-MSD 8.5mm wires, blaster coil, and 6AL Box-edelbrock headers-160 degree stat.-hotchkis strut tower brace

waiting in the garage - LQ4, milled heads 317 casting (10.5 to 1), hardened pushrods, ported LS6 oil pump, manley dual spings with titanium retainers, MTI X1 cam, hawks longtube headers
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-14-2006, 11:05 AM
92zcamaroperson's Avatar
92zcamaroperson 92zcamaroperson is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

or were you just talking about the rotating assembly... either way aluminum stock motor or 5.3 iron motors will hold 12 psi but that is a little high for a stock motor.
__________________
92 z28 camaro 5.7 TPI
current - slp intake runners and base-BBK 52mm throttle body-MSD 8.5mm wires, blaster coil, and 6AL Box-edelbrock headers-160 degree stat.-hotchkis strut tower brace

waiting in the garage - LQ4, milled heads 317 casting (10.5 to 1), hardened pushrods, ported LS6 oil pump, manley dual spings with titanium retainers, MTI X1 cam, hawks longtube headers
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Mr. Luos's Avatar
Mr. Luos Mr. Luos is offline
Firebird Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

Jesus...how much power are you looking for???

Get the aluminum block. Get heads that have bigger chambers for lower compression, and throw 10-12 PSI at it. You won't need ANYTHING else in a car that light. And it will be as reliable as the blower is. Won't be worrying about the block.
Telling you will be be disappointed if you throw off the weight of the RX7 with an iron block.
__________________
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

WHo said they could pick up a T56 for $1K.. and WHERE???
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:57 PM
flatlander757 flatlander757 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Re: Sorry guys... I've converted to imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsfat
WHo said they could pick up a T56 for $1K.. and WHERE???
I work for Dodge... one of my coworkers has a T56 from a 98 Viper GTS for sale for $1000... I'd just need a new bellhousing and a different driveshaft.

As far as aluminum vs iron blocks: I know it's not the block, but more the whole package I was talking about... the LS1 has much more compression than the 5.3 and wouldn't tolerate boost as much. And since the LS1 costs more it would be even more expensive since heads would be a MUST.

I've found a few good deals, it will ultimately depend on what is available when I'm ready. I want to get the chassis set up first.
__________________
-Tony- Sold my Z28 looong ago. Now sporting an '03 TJ.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts