-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Kyser1984 Kyser1984 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

My car is a Chevy Prizm, 1998 it goes through a quart of oil every thousand miles. Sometimes even less then that. It also has its check engine light on, along with a knocking noise when i reach the speed of about 55 or higher. My friend told me it could be a piston rod or ring. Does someone know who could give me a guess??? Please Help... I know nothing about cars.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-18-2005, 09:57 PM
mike1224's Avatar
mike1224 mike1224 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to mike1224 Send a message via MSN to mike1224 Send a message via Yahoo to mike1224
Re: Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

take it to Autozone and bring back exact code. they'll read the code for free. should be able to help after we know the code
__________________
2002 Chevy S-10 ZR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by balls_to_the_wall
Some people are alive only because its illegal to kill them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2005, 03:06 PM
pkastagehand pkastagehand is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excess Oil use in 98 Prizm

I go through a quart every 200-300 miles on the highway, maybe less in city. Soot is visible on rear bumper above tailpipe. At least one other Prizm in my town has the same tell tale soot on the bumper.

Is this typical of Prizms of this vintage? I tried the Toyota dealer (because I've been less than impressed by the Cheverolet shop) but there do not seem to be any bulletins on this so it must not be hugely widespread.

I hope to check for pressure or vacuum in the crankcase but haven't gotten around to it yet. Excess vacuum could indicate a PCV problem. Excess pressure is probably more serious; excess blow-by from bad rings/scored cylinder wall or leaking headgasket maybe?

Anyone have this problem fixed that can tell us what it was?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2006, 11:20 PM
dingusc dingusc is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

Just wondering if you ever resolved this issue? I am having the same issue on my 2001 Prizm that I just bought (using a quart every 200-300 miles). Took it back to dealer (still under 30 day warranty) and they say it's a plugged PCV . Supposed to pick it up tomorrow so we'll see if they've resolved it. Can this cause other internal issues that I need to be concerned about down the road? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2006, 08:18 AM
pkastagehand pkastagehand is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

No, I've not had/taken time to mess about with it. It's mostly an issue on long trips. I bike/walk to work most days so the car doesn't get used heavily at home. And I don't care to work on cars much so I have been putting it off.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
johnholl johnholl is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 464
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusc
Just wondering if you ever resolved this issue? I am having the same issue on my 2001 Prizm that I just bought (using a quart every 200-300 miles). Took it back to dealer (still under 30 day warranty) and they say it's a plugged PCV . Supposed to pick it up tomorrow so we'll see if they've resolved it. Can this cause other internal issues that I need to be concerned about down the road? Thanks!
I think it's problematic of this engine, from all I've heard.. Although it could be the pvc. I think they are just oil hungry..but 1 qt/tankfull of gas..that ain't good at all.

When you get it back, take her on a long trip at highway speed. Noting the oil level, write it down and show them BEFORE your warranty expires. If it is still using oil, and your not happy adding oil, tell them to void the purchase contract. Also take it to Autozone and see if the PO441 code has been set,
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2006, 09:01 PM
dingusc dingusc is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

Thanks for the info. I got the car back last Monday and sure enough, it was still using oil after about 200-300 miles. I've taken it back today and they are keeping it for awhile til they can figure out the "real" issue. Got another loaner car from them so I guess I'll be racking up the miles on their car rather than mine.

Another person told me that they would probably find the rings bad in it and that they would probably just try to get by with replacing the bad ones rather than all of them. Is it always advisable to replace all rings and re-sleeve each cylinder or can they just do the bad ones?

Is it possible for them to void the sale after it's already been a month and the vehicle title in my name with new tags on it? Could I expect to get the amount paid plus taxes back on it? One fortunate thing is that they have been very nice to work with. At least I don't feel like they are trying to rip me off. Unlike other dealers I've dealt with in the past.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
johnholl johnholl is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 464
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusc
Thanks for the info. I got the car back last Monday and sure enough, it was still using oil after about 200-300 miles. I've taken it back today and they are keeping it for awhile til they can figure out the "real" issue. Got another loaner car from them so I guess I'll be racking up the miles on their car rather than mine.

Another person told me that they would probably find the rings bad in it and that they would probably just try to get by with replacing the bad ones rather than all of them. Is it always advisable to replace all rings and re-sleeve each cylinder or can they just do the bad ones?

Is it possible for them to void the sale after it's already been a month and the vehicle title in my name with new tags on it? Could I expect to get the amount paid plus taxes back on it? One fortunate thing is that they have been very nice to work with. At least I don't feel like they are trying to rip me off. Unlike other dealers I've dealt with in the past.


Thanks again!

I'd exchange it for another. Look, it ain't gonna get better is it? As long as you can document that this problem was from the get-go, they should be abliged to refund
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2006, 01:17 PM
dingusc dingusc is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Prizm going through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles

The problem has turned out to be the rings (which is what I was suspecting). They are in the process of replacing the engine. Of course they are not putting in a new one but one from a salvage yard. Looks like it may be getting one with 30K miles on it with a 12 month parts and labor warranty. The current engine had 75K miles on it. Should I go with this deal or just ask for a refund?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts