-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Danizzle987 Danizzle987 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Speaker Wire Location?

OK Ive just bought two badass 12s and some boxed 6s, and I am having trouble hooking them up. I do not have an amp to put in, I want to see what they sound like without one. I have tried removing the trim on the passenger door (top and bottom) and I couldn't see anything. I don't have one of those six sided screwdriver bits needed to pull out the cd player and see which way they run, or just run my own. When I bought the car, the passenger side back factory speaker didn't work, I cut the wire that I could see and tried to hook up one of my speakers and I heard nothing (yes I checked the balance on the cd player) which means theres a problem between the speaker and the cd player. Please Help! I guess I should mention I have a '90 z28 camaro
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-29-2006, 11:05 PM
ROUDA's Avatar
ROUDA ROUDA is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 199
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

Well I think your going to have to get the right tools and take the cd plater out and check it, an aftermarket radio could have burnt up a wire thats y your not getting any sound. You should take the cd out so you can see whats going on how they other owner had it set up, you could correct it if its wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2006, 11:25 PM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

Your radio may not be putting out enough power to make up for the speaker's resistance or barely cutting it. In which case you would get a very very low (or possibly distorted) sound or could get no sound at all. If your going to invest in quality speakers then do yourself a favor and get a amp to power them up to the range they were meant. Also get yourself one of those cheapie mechanic tool sets they have at walmart for like 14 bucks. They come with assorted driver bits and sockets and so on.
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Danizzle987 Danizzle987 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Re: Speaker Wire Location?

I will go get one of those tool kits tomorrow, but the back speakers and the wire appear to be factory. Any clue where the wire is supposed to be run? like when it's new.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2006, 11:43 PM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

http://shbox.com/1/radio_schematic_1996.jpg all the factory wires are color coded. Your car does not have bose right? cause is a different wiring diagram.
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 AM
wrightz28's Avatar
wrightz28 wrightz28 is offline
is bring'n sexy back
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

Get yourself a set of "Torxbit" drivers, and make sure they are of good quality, otherwise they break off in the screw heads and then you're well, screwed. You're going to need to make the investment eventually, like dashlights.

Craftsman is a good recommendation, they will break eventually, and then you get a freebie replacment
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2006, 10:53 AM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

I have both cheap and good quality tools and I honestly think with a torx bit. The screw itself will strip long before your break a torx bit head off unless they made the bit with playdo. I am sure the guy isn't looking for a high quality mechinics set and a cheapie set will carry him til he is ready for some quality tools.
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
wrightz28's Avatar
wrightz28 wrightz28 is offline
is bring'n sexy back
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

Dunno about that, I've gone over to help people out with problems being told. "I've got tools, don't worry about bringing any". Get there and they have srewdirvers that carck, twist, ratchets that don't ratchet and on quite a few occasions had torx bits twist and snap in the bolt heads.

Now for this particular application, yea a cheapie would prolly get you by, but to me it makes sense to spend my money on something i can use in as many applications as possible, no?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2006, 12:34 PM
jcurrieirocz jcurrieirocz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

yah anyone know what number torx screw it is...he could also just go and buy 1 quality torx screw driver at thats all he needs....a quality screw driver would be less probably then a whole torx cheapie kit. He only needs one size as gm used that only size for like everything.

also when you say 12s do you mean subs......you cant run those without an amp that wont work.
__________________

1982 Firebird S/E
1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 PM
wrightz28's Avatar
wrightz28 wrightz28 is offline
is bring'n sexy back
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

i wanna say it's a T-20?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Danizzle987 Danizzle987 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurrieirocz

also when you say 12s do you mean subs......you cant run those without an amp that wont work.
What do you mean? they are just two 12inch speakers in a box with a regular 2 wire jack for speaker wire. I've hooked it up to my home stereo system and it works fine. Wont they work, just not very loud?

Thanks for all the input Everyone
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 PM
88camaroproject's Avatar
88camaroproject 88camaroproject is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 88camaroproject
Re: Speaker Wire Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danizzle987
What do you mean? they are just two 12inch speakers in a box with a regular 2 wire jack for speaker wire. I've hooked it up to my home stereo system and it works fine. Wont they work, just not very loud?

Thanks for all the input Everyone
ummm yeah IT WILL SOUND LIKE SHIT! you have to have an amp. check out sonicelectronix.com they have cheap amps that are good. dont buy legacy! or volfenhagen (made by legacy) but yeah your cd player puts like maybe 50 watts to each speaker.....max! a sub with 50 watts CONTINOUS will not sound to hott either. so you split the 50 MAX with 2 speakers and you just wasted a lot of time ,trouble, and cut wires for absolutly no reason. I WOULDNT RECCOMEND IT. take the hit and buy an amp and a amp wiring kit. hell come to my house i will put it in for you. i put a system in a car every weekend practically.
__________________

87 firebird formula ws6
(currently has a old 78 305 with the following upgrades,
including lots of miles and stock heads and internals....oops)
crane cam cam specs
performance valve springs and retainers, flowtech headers, 255 lph fuel pump,
holley 600cfm carb, weiand single plane manifold, a healty diet.
14.90 1/4 mile....just wait for the 406 to be finished
MY VIDEOS
MY PICTURES
-Tom
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts